“Fine stay:)”

Amstel House Hostel
Ranked #32 of 360 Speciality Lodging in Berlin
Reviewed 26 November 2010

I was staying here with my friends - and everything was ok - breakfast was fine and i need to say that staff was realy patient beacuse sometimes we were making to much noise - Thank you for that . I recommend this place

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 18 November 2010

I have stayed in Amstel house for 4 nights in November, and I am really pleased that I have chosen this hostel for my visit to Berlin. In fact, it's their service that persuaded me to stay for two more nights (there was no railway tickets for the most appropriate date, so choosing between earlier and later, I chose later, in order not to miss the walking tour proposed by Amstel house).
They are conveniently located, only 40 minutes on foot from Berlin main railway station, or a couple of minutes from subway station. The neighboorhood is not touristic (which makes possible to find there normal supermarkets etc) but a nice one.
Which was important to me, they are ready to check you in or out any time of day and night (I mean, within the 3 p.m.-11a.m.), as I both arrived and left in the middle of the night, and it was no problem at all.
The staff are really multi-lingual, as I heard somebody speaking, aside from German and English, also Spanish. There're also walking tours provided by a staff member, Fede, (depends on the time of the year, however; I think the one that I took part in was the last this year), which he can do in English, Spanish and/or Italian, and he is really enthusiastic about what he's doing and gave a good picture of Berlin with unusual details as well as showed us where important museums are, so that we could visit them later.
There're also many other activities organised by the hostel, e.g. barbecue parties, and karaoke. There's a wi-fi spot in the reception, but not in the rooms. But there's plenty of place around the reception to sit and catch internet signal.
Despite all those additional activities, the prices are really those of a hostel, and I was pleased with them in comparison with some other 'only sleeping' hostels I visited in other cities.
For additional 5 Euro, you can have a breakfast in hostel, which is convenient and reasonable in comparison with what you can find in the city for this price.
Because I was adding two night of my stay later, I experienced two rooms, of the same type and near-by location, however. There were two 'double-storey' beds (4 people in the room), a big table with a chair for each visitor, and a washstand with a mirror in the room itself. Central heating is powerful, and you can regulate in on your own. There're two wardrobes in the room, by unfortunately there's no lockers so that you can safely put your things there - which is important when you stay with strangers. However, I experienced no trouble with this, those were just theoretical concerns. (There's, however, a storage room where you can put your luggage if you, for example, arrive before the check-in time or leave in the evening of the day you check-out.)
Everybody has a separate keycard, so you don't have to keep in mind who borrows the key first and where to find this person, or to get up to open the room door in the middle of the night.
The only thing I wasn't comfortable with was the shower. However, I experienced only one shower, and perhaps, others are different - there plenty of toilets and showers on the store, so there's never a queue. You can borrow a big towel for 1 Euro at the reception. In shower there's only one premise with no separation of the space where you keep your clothing from where you pour water. Moreover, the shower tap is not convenient, you cannot manage it in order not to pour that water all over the room. It is also advisable to bring slippers if you want to take shower, which I didn't do. However, the fact that I didn't catch a cold with no slippers and no hair-dryer talks in advantage of the hostel's central heating system.
All in all, I really liked it in Amstel house. If I go to Berlin again, I have no doubt where to stay.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 July 2010

The Hostel is located slightly outside of the city (a couple of train stops) in a more quiet neighborhood. However, this did not detract from it's appeal. The staff are really nice and helpful and are there to make sure you have a good time. The rooms were simple and comfortable and the bathrooms were clean. Keep in mind that there is no A/C, but as we discovered, few places do in Europe. This place was the first stop on our two week trip through Europe, and it was an awesome way to start off the journey. Met some really awesome people there!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 June 2010

Wow! really great place. We arrived in Berlin from Prague by bus, and their website has instructions for every other type of transport but bus.. so I called and one of the girls at the desk gave me perfect directions from the metro stop we were at to the hostel. So easy!

The hostel/no frills hotel is in a beautiful building and has a very large lobby/bar/dining room, which is brightly colored and very welcoming. This sets the tone for the whole place, Everyone who works there is really friendly and helpful and happy to chat! We booked their weekend special which was a twin room, with en-suite bathroom, for two nights with breakfast both mornings, a welcome drink (we got nice ice cold fruit sodas) and two 48 hour transport passes that come with discounts to many attractions in Berlin. (those would have cost us 15 euros each) and the whole deal was 119 euros!!! great buy!

Breakfast was nice with standard cold meats, cheeses, breads and spreads, coffee, juice, tea, cereals and a nice touch, fresh scrambled eggs! Free WiFi in the lobby and tons of maps and help with places to go and things to do make the lobby a BUSY place in the mornings as everyone plans their day.

In the back courtyard of the building, they have the "Beach Bar" and area with sand and picnic tables where they have regular cookouts.. the second night we were there, it was all-you-can-eat cheeseburgers for 6 euros (with a free drink) --- it was a great night, we met some cool people, ate too many burgers and in general had a really nice time.

If you are a regular hostel user, this place is pretty upscale from most hostels and still offers great prices. If you are the sort of traveler that just needs a no -fills, safe and clean place to stay, this is it!!! you get the hostel vibe of friendliness and you can get a private room for a very low cost.

The hotel itself is about a 5 minute walk through a very nice residential neighborhood, to the U Bahn (metro) and buses. The Zoo, which is the main exchange for buses, is only 2 stops on the metro, making getting anywhere in the city really easy!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 April 2010

this hostel just costs me 12 euros per night in a 6 bed dorm, with shared toilet in room. Yet it is not full and the second night only has me and my brother there. The room is clean, and it offers inexpensive internet service. The location is central too, it is located in a quiet area but just a few stops away from central. I am very satisfied with the price paid. One mirror drawback may be the attitude of the staff is just average.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 January 2010

Stayed here for 3 nights. It has a nice 24h open lobby with nice staff. Very cheap but still pretty good rooms. Beds were ok but there were maybe a little too few shared toilets which I reckon could be an issue if there are many guests. Was just a few other guests when we were there tho so it was very quiet.

Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 January 2010

Amstel was a great stay with comfortable beds and a reasonable price. Great location for intra-city travel.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple