“Fab location, uber-helpful staff!!”
Review of Melia Berlin

Melia Berlin
Ranked #30 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
GreenLeadersGold level
Cambridge
“Fab location, uber-helpful staff!!”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

As the title implies this modern and stylish hotel is located slap-bang in the middle of Friedrichstrasse, meaning that many of the main "touristy" locations are within walking distance. The bedrooms are large, well-appointed and have a reasonably-priced mini-bar with great glasses which may be an odd observation, but given that in many hotels if you do get a bar the glasses are ropey, then it is worth of praise!!
There is a very glam Cocktail bar and a great Tapas option which we took advantage of on our first evening.
The Staff and Consierge we without exception spot-on.
We stayed here for my partners 50th birthday and we both agreed that we would love to go back to Berlin and would not hesitate to go back to the Melia!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marhen65

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (650)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I can't praise the hotel highly enough.

The staff were great (especially the always cheerful young Dutch woman);
The room was spacious even though we chose the smallest one;
The decor was great, very modern;
The breakfast was truly sumptuous;
The location was ideal near Museum Island and an easy ride from the airport;
The price was more than reasonable.

I would definitely definitely come back to Berlin and stay at the Melia.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank dar268
Bristol. England.
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights on a short City break for my Wifes birthday, Found the hotel service to be excellent and the hotel location was really good, in the centre of things and just a short walk to all the major attractions and museums etc. thoroughly enjoyed staying here and would happily recommend it.
I managed to accidentally leave £50 in the room when we checked out and never noticed for a couple of hours, a quick phone call and the money was waiting for me at
reception when I returned. A little thing but I was impressed by the honesty and efficiency gettint it back to me.
A slight negative was the hotel bar was very pricey (not that surprising really I suppose!) and the 24 hour bar seemed to shut at midnight?

Would I return for another visit?

Yes definitely..

Room Tip: We stayed overlooking the courtyard and had a very nice, quiet room.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Redrobbo64
Blackpool, Lancashire
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This was our first visit to Berlin, and first stay in a Melia Hotel, which I booked based on the great reviews on TA. I booked through the hotel website and received the 15 euro per day (per room) to use anywhere in the hotel and they said they would just deduct the 45 euro off from the final bill so you didn't have to spend exactly 15 per day.
Great location from the train station (2 mins) and a 3 euro 20 half hour train journey from the airport.
We were given a room on the 6th floor (640) with a street / river view. Rooms were spacious, lovely and clean, slippers and robes, mini bar, pillow menu etc.. couldn't fault anything apart from the fact I was too hot and didn't sleep properly for the 3 nights we were there. The air con didn't seem to be working properly so when I opened the balcony door in the middle of the night to let some air in the noise from the trams kept me awake also. My own fault I didn't say anything to reception as I thought my husband hadn't set the air con correctly, but by the second night when I realised he had it wasn't worth asking to change rooms for the last night (hence why I haven't knocked any marks off as I think this was just me as my husband wasn't too hot).
We used the sauna (8th floor) every night after sightseeing which was really nice.
Breakfast had everything you could think of and was really nice, although on all 3 mornings we struggled to find a table it was so busy.
All staff were friendly, polite and courteous.
We booked a city walking tour through Original Berlin Walks which was really good and a Beer & Currywurst tour which was brilliant.
We ate at Lokal, Marjellchen, Petrocellis, Lutter & Wegner and Café No which were all excellent as well as trying the street food kebabs and currywurst.
Would highly recommend the Melia and Berlin, just a shame we were a bit early for the Christmas Markets as they were just building them and I imagine they will be gorgeous.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JP1
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

First time in Berlin and my daughter booked the Melia close to Friedrichstraße station. She couldn't have made a better choice. We stayed for two nights and managed to see the majority of what Berlin had to offer, on foot, over three days. We booked direct with Melia and enjoyed 15 Euros credit per day to spend in the hotel, which we did, on cocktails, whilst people-watching, in the very relaxing lobby bar. Breakfast was excellent - absolutely everything you could wish for, including Champagne. Unusually, there is no free wifi access in the common areas. We would happily have paid a few extra Euros to secure this, rather than having to organise "manually" every 24 hours. We ate at Treffpumkt, on the advice of a TA reviewer and weren't disappointed. We had the best burgers in Burgermeister - well worth taking the time to visit this converted Prussian toilet at Oberbaumstrasse. Oh and don't forget to book in advance to visit the Reichstag - best done early in your stay. The views are great and the audio tour will help you plan the rest of your trip. Hackescher Markt is also well worth a visit especially in the evening; we walked the area having had dinner at Weihenstephaner, which I would also recommend (for food, ambience and price). Overall a great long weekend that didn't cost the earth.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Catamarinbet
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed at Melia Berlin for three nights as part of a business delegation. The hotel is a plain vanilla European four-star business hotel that one would normally forget as soon as departing, except for the fantastic location across from the historic Friedrichstraße railway station. The hotel is just across the river from the so-hip-it-hurts Oranienburgerstraße-Hackescher Markt area, with plenty of fun to be had there.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank MRF_Singapore
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2013

My first trip to Berlin and the Melia proved an ideal hotel, relaxing, friendly with roomy accommodation. Well placed to walk everywhere - museum Islands, Brandenburg gate, Checkpoint Charlie, Jewish Museum to name but a few.

Hotel is on Friedrichstrasse, 2 mins from the Friedrichstrasse train / underground station - easy to find our way from the airport.

Plenty of varied and good value restaurants nearby - try down the side of the Friedrichstrasse station - numerous restaurants set in the arches, lively and fun.

Melia is a lovely friendly hotel with a a breakfast to die for - join the Melia club before you stay and get discount on the breakfast and free WiFi.

Great stay in Berlin and great hotel - will effeminately be back again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple