“Alecsa Hotel am Olympiastadion review”

Alecsa Hotel am Olympiastadion
Ranked #411 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Nice hotel, location is quite good, especially for us, cause we travelled by car. Free parking is available on Glockenturmstrasse and we never had a problem finding a parking spot. The staff was nice and friendly. Room was clean and the bed was comfortable. I think, this hotel is a perfect choice for a one-night stand or short vacation. I really didn`t like that wifi was 2 eur per 24 h and was very slow and only for 1 device.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 21 June 2014

The only good things I can say about this hotel are the staff were friendly and helpful, the wifi at 2 euro a day worked well, and if you're attending something at either the Waldbuhne (which I was) or the Olympiastadion, it's the only hotel within walking distance and it's in a safe and quiet area.

My stay overall had a lot of things wrong with it. I took a cab from Schoenfeld Airport, which I knew would be costly, it was 50 euro, but I am glad I did, as I had a big suitcase and I would have never been able to manage it alone on the staircases at the Pichelsburg S Bahn station (closest station to the hotel, 10 minute walk). I flew out of Tegal and also took a cab back there, which wasn't as bad, I think it was around 23 euro.

I arrived and check in was quick, most of the staff understood and spoke good English. The first thing I noticed outside was the stairs to get into the building, which I was trying to figure out with my suitcase, until a nice fellow guest offered to help me and he carryed it inside for me. They have hardly any staff at the hotel, no bellman, no luggage room (that I saw). The one elevator I always worried about getting stuck in, you open a door to get in and then the door shuts behind you and you're in this tiny elevator. I got in with 2 other people one time and we were cramped, it supposedly can hold 5 people maximum! My first room was room 603, the first thing I notice was how hot the room was--there was no air conditioning! It was a decent sized room with two twin beds pushed together, a small table and two chairs, small TV (no English speaking channels), and stuck in the corner was bunk beds (with the ladder against the wall, I don't know how anyone could have gotten into them!) There was a small balcony, small bathroom (which smelled horribly like sewer) and no telephone! I needed a phone to make short calls home to the U.S. everyday since my cell phone doesn't work in Europe, and not all of my family is online. After a few hours, and getting a phone brought up that didn't work, the nice girl working at the front desk had me moved to room 503, which was exactly the same as 603, except it had a working phone. I checked before I stayed in the room! The bathroom didn't have the smell in this room, which was good. The room keys are also actual keys, I don't even remember the last time I had one of those for a hotel room! The few days I was in Berlin were the hottest I guess in a very long time, 90-96 degrees F everyday, with no air conditioning, it was stifling in the room, especially to sleep! I tried opening my balcony door to get fresh air, this was only a temporary solution, as there was a birds nest right outside my door and I didn't want birds flying into the room, and by the second day, the door was falling right off the hinges! I had to keep chairs against the door so it didn't fall over and break! The housekeeper guy/maintenance guy came and did a quick unsuccessful fix on it. I was still in danger of it falling, I just kept the chairs there! I was so worried it was going to fall over! I didn't sleep good the 3 nights I was there, between the door worry and how hot it was, it was miserable! The room overall also wasn't that clean, but not totally dirty, either. I never had housekeeping come my whole stay, I don't know why, unless they only clean on your check out day. The hallways are extremely dark, at night time it was scary! I used the light on my phone one night when I returned around midnight, as it was creepy, and I needed to see somehow! I did find the light switch after that, so turned it on a couple times, like when I had to leave for the airport at 4 AM! I turned the lights on during the day once and then I came back like an hour later and someone had already turned them off!

There is a buffet breakfast every morning. I paid 12 euro, unknowingly, since I was never informed that it's 9 euro if you prebook the night before. It wasn't worth 9 euro, let alone 12! The selection wasn't that good, and the overall quality of the food wasn't that good. They also charged me for 2 breakfasts at 12 euros each, when I only got one, so I will be contacting the hotel to get refunded for one of those! In the small lobby they sell some drinks, snacks, coffee, souvenirs (small selection), everything is overpriced obviously, but it's always open and was handy when I needed cold drinks because of how hot the place was. It was hot in the lobby also, they keep the door open all day to get fresh air. There's also a computer for free public use, but no printer, so if you need a boarding pass etc... printed I don't know where you can, unless you ask the front desk to do it.

The hotel is in a quiet, but safe, residential area. The S-Bahn is 10 minutes away, and it's about a 20 minute ride to the city center on the S5 line. There is nothing around the hotel, and if it's a civil holiday, like it was the Monday I arrived, everything, literally, closes up. There is a grocery store, post office, and a few small restaurants across the street, but that's about it.

This was my 2nd time to Berlin, my first was in 1998 and I stayed at the Westin in central Berlin, which was nice. I chose the Alesca as I was attending a concert at the Waldbuhne and wanted something within walking distance for convenience--this hotel was the only option. I know from past experience what a nightmare public Berlin transportation is after an event, and I wasn't going to do that again. I wouldn't recommend this hotel, though. I would have switched somewhere else if it wasn't for the convenience of being walking distance to the Waldbuhne.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank BuffaloAmy
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Brilliant stay. Room plenty big enough. Location was superb, 5 mins walk to S Bahn and then only short trip to anywhere in Berlin.
Staff were brilliant and could not do enough for us. Would definitely recommend.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Conrad H
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I spent 3 days here and really enjoyed my stay. It's in a quiet residential area, the train stop is very close to the Pitchelsberg (S5 train to Spandau), follow the directions to Angerberger Allee, a right turn will bring you to Glockenturnstrase and the hotel is the tall building on the hill. The staff is very friendly and helpful and they make great coffee. The internet is very good and only cost 2 Euro's for 24hrs (although I wish it would include at least 2 devices, phone and laptop ;). I love the wide view windows and the door to the balcony, it felt comfortable, like home and very clean. You can hop on the train and go all over Berlin with a day pass for only 6.80 eu. Awesome for those of us traveling on a budget!!!

Room Tip: My room had 4 beds and was very spacious, next time i'll bring friends :)
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 March 2014

The nearest train station is Pitchelsberg not Olypiastadion, so you should not be confused with name. Hotel is comfortable 5 minutes walk from the station and located 4 stations away from Messe. Neat and clean hotel with helpful staff. Bathrooms are small but okay. Breakfast cost is different if you book an evening advance but expensive if you want to have it without booking an evening before. It is a good value for money and comfortable hotel overall.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank mukeshsharma547
Reviewed 13 January 2014

The staff is friendly, room is plain but comfortable and convenient. It's about 5 min walk to the train station and it's easy to access the city. Hotel is kind of in the middle of nowhere and building looks a bit old but we enjoyed our stay anyway. The room was bigger than we thought and had a balcony.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Alecsa hotel is a simple,but convenient hotel in the outskirts of Berlin. It's close to Spandau.
Parking is possible at the hotelparking for euro 8, but along the street for free.
We had a very big room (501) 2 persons in a 6 bed room. The bathroom needs renovation, but its very clean, like the rooms. Breakfast is euro 9 and very good. The beds are very good.
From Alecsa hotel its a 4 minute walk to S-bahn station "Pichelsberg". The trains leave every 10 minutes (03,13,23,33 etc of the hour). In 15 minutes you are at station Zoologischer Garten (centre of former West-Berlin, and in 30 minutes you arrive at station Alexanderplatz (former centre of East-Berlin).

Room Tip: All rooms are big.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple