“Perfection!”

Ranked #8 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Hastings, United Kingdom
“Perfection!”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I only have one disappointment with my stay here, it was far too short, just one night. I have rarely stayed in a hotel with such high standards and such perfect staff. On arrival on Saturday afternoon I was greeted by a cheerful doorman and welcomed by the kind and professional young lady at reception. She showed me up to the suite where I was meeting colleagues and later showed me to my room (415.) I don't understand the comments about small rooms and worn carpets. The bathroom was superb and the bedroom exceptionally comfortable. I loved the old fashioned, but utterly correct placing of a white linen mat beside the bed at night. So few hotels do that now.

We had a formal dinner in the stunning Opera Court, where the food was some of the best I have ever eaten and the service so good it looked choreographed. Breakfast on Sunday morning was first class.

I was addressed by name throughout my too brief stay, and every member of staff I met was, without exception friendly and professional.

The location is unbeatable. Next door to St. Hedwig's Cathedral and one minute from the Unter den Linden. Ten minutes stroll from Berliner Dom and Museum Island.

This is THE place to stray in Berlin.

Room Tip: My room on the 4th floor overlooked a courtyard. I slept for 8 hours, there was not a single sound.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Goodfoodlover56
Hotel-de-Rome-37, General Manager at Hotel de Rome, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear Goodfoodlover56,

Thank you so much for this fantastic rating here on TripAdvisor! I was very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you loved our staff, the facilities and especially the food of the Hotel de Rome.

Our biggest aim is to make our guests happy and I am very glad that you enjoyed this experience with us.

I hope that we shall have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Berlin.

Thies Sponholz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Athens, Georgia
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We stayed in the Hotel de Rome for nine nights during October. It is a classy hotel. The hotel's lobby, dining room, bar and individual rooms are all first class. The staff is extremely helpful. Upon arrival and check-in we were given a tour of the key places in the hotel by one of the assistant managers. The food was outstanding. The location, in the old East Berlin, was the best place to stay. Within walking distance of the major museums and the river. We liked visiting Humboldt University across the street. The hotel is pricey, but if you can afford it, it would be hard to beat for all dimensions of hotel comfort, style and location.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank RetiredDawg
Dear RetiredDawg,

Thank you very much for your comments here on TripAdvisor. We are very glad that you overall enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you will have the opportunity to come back soon and visit us again at Hotel de Rome.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We were undecided between the Hotel de Rome and the Adlon, and we made the right choice. The Hotel de Rome is located on the Bebelplatz, very near Museum Island, and just off Unter den Linden, at the opposite end from the Brandenburg Gate. It's a terrific location, and when the construction is completed on the theater that stands near the hotel, it will be part of a stunning architectural composition. The hotel is located in the old Dresdner Bank building, which was a socialist office during the separation. It's quite a beautiful restoration and adaptation of an old building.
The style is quiet elegance, with very contemporary furnishings. I'm not sure how much longer the furnishings can last without becoming dated, and the carpets in the room floor hallways is right at the point of needing replacement. That might be our only negative.
The service was excellent, although we did not rely on the hotel staff for much. We had made most plans in advance. The doorman did offer up the the hotel limo to take us to our restaurant one evening, which was a great unexpected pleasure.
The room was on the small side, but if you check out the website and look at the photos of the rooms, you can see that size varies widely. Although tight, the room had everything we could wish for, short of coffee making facilities. All the expected 5 star amenities were in place, with the exception of a US style outlet in the bathroom. A separate shower was much appreciated.
We didn't have a regular meal in the restaurant, but as we were there around New Years Eve we decided to splurge on their dinner and dancing special, which included a visit to the roof terrace of the hotel to see the fireworks bringing in the New Year. A really special treat. The food was good, but not exceptional. I think that I would use the hotel restaurant for a (very expensive) breakfast or have a quick snack in the bar, which we did a couple times. The breakfast buffet was extensive and quite good.
We did check out the Adlon for a wildly expensive breakfast one morning, but were reassured that we had made the right decision staying at the Hotel de Rome. Much more our style than all the traditional style at the Adlon.

Room Tip: Ask in advance about the size of the room, and if you are not satisfied ask to see others. They vary...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotel-de-Rome-37, General Manager at Hotel de Rome, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Dear Manhattan Tripper,

Thank you very much for your kind comments which have been gratefully received and it has been my pleasure to pass them on to all the team.

I am very glad that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel de Rome in the near future.

Thank you once again for sharing your experiences, here on TripAdvisor!

Kind regards,

New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 January 2014

The hotel is on a quiet, yet centrally located street right near the Gendarmenmarkt. It is a 10-15 walking distance from the Brandenburg Gates and from Checkpoint Charlie in the other direction.
The service was impeccable and room service quick and served with a smile. The breakfast buffet is wonderful, with delicious a la carte options available.
Everyone from the front desk staff, to the concierge, to the bellmen, went out of their way to ensure that we had a very pleasant stay in Berlin.

Room Tip: Because the hotel is attached on both sides, many rooms seem to face inner courtyards, but these roo...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Hotel-de-Rome-37, General Manager at Hotel de Rome, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear chookoo57,

Your evaluation here on TripAdvisor has been gratefully received and it has been my pleasure to pass them on to all the team. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Berlin in not to distant future.

With best regards,

Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

The Hotel de Rome has is quintessential understated sophistication. Unlike other top hotels in Berlin and elsewhere, there is no in your face over the top. Hotel de Rome is stunning, with great food and great staff. This is the place to stay in Berlin. The location is unbeatable as well.

Stayed January 2014
Dear Tnyca,

Thank you so much for this fantastic rating here on TripAdvisor! It is so lovely and exciting to read how you experienced your stay with us!

All the best for you and your family in 2014!

zurich
Reviewed 23 December 2013

The location was great, close to public transport and walkable to many of the places I wanted to see.

The room, which I believe was a standard double was excellent. Possibly could have done with tea making facilities, but that's just me I hate to be too far away from a kettle and tea bag.

The amenities that we tried were great.

The best thing about this hotel was it's staff though, from the doorman at the beginning through every department we tried, apart from the waiter who tried to persuade me that Earl grey was English breakfast tea, that wasn't going anywhere, but at least gave the German guests a laugh at the eccentricity of the English and their tea. He did redeem himself though by finding the proper English breakfast tea and serving it to me.

It's not the cheapest hotel in Berlin, but I honestly though it was great value for money. I would stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear ims h,

Thank you so much for this fantastic rating here on TripAdvisor! I hope you had a safe trip back home to Zurich.

I am very glad that you enjoyed our staff at Hotel de Rome and hope that I shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon in the near future.

Singapore
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

The hotel is situated in a good location, within walking distance to all tourist attractions. Nearest is the Gendarmenmarkt, now filled with the Christmas flavor and ambience. The Q (kind of a mall) is also nearby and Galeries Lafayette is just downstairs for some easy grocery shopping.

Hotel service is excellent. Staff is always around to please. Breakfast is a good spread of sausage, bacon, eggs, cereals, fresh fruits, cold meats, dry fruits and different kinds of bread/rolls.

It was raining one day we were there. They were happily handing out umbrellas for our use. Taxis to airport are easily available.

The only advise I'd give is not to book an airport limousine from the hotel!! It would cost you abt 150 Euros vs 30 Euros!! We were a family of 5, so needed a van/mini bus/MPV. Even that was an easy thing to accomplish as there is always a long queue of taxis coming out from Tegel airport. Going back to airport, same thing. Just ask concierge to call for a taxi for you 15 mins before you need it and the cost is only about 25-30
Euros.

Stayed December 2013
Dear Contented 13,

Thank you very much for your kind comments here on TripAdvisor!

We hope you and your family had a safe trip back home to Singapore.

We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel de Rome and considered the staff and the service to be excellent. We very much hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.

With best regards from Berlin an all the best for 2014,