“Great hotel for a city break!”

Novum Select Hotel Berlin Checkpoint Charlie
Ranked #153 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Great hotel for a city break!”
Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

My best friend and I stayed here for 3 nights in December 2013 (2nd-5th), we arrived in the afternoon and were able to check in immediately. Check in was quick, and the staff were friendly and spoke excellent English. Our room was on the fourth floor, it had 2 single beds, a desk and a chair. It was pretty spacious with plenty of storage space and a safe in the wardrobe. The only problem we found was that the wifi only worked in the lobby, aside of that, we could not fault the hotel.

There is a U-Bahn station less than a five minute walk from hotel, Checkpoint Charlie is about the same distance away. You're also within walking distance from a number of the main attractions, you can easily walk to Potsdamer Platz, as well at the Brandenburg Gate and the Bundestag.

Overall, I would definitely return and would recommend the hotel to others. It was in a nice quite location, but transport routes make it accessible to most of the main sites. I really enjoyed it.

Steph.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Stephanie J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2014

For what you are paying, this hotel is great. The hotel itself is clean and modern, the staff are very friendly, the beds are comfortable and the bathroom was nice. The lobby area is great if you need wifi and although my girlfriend and I didn't have the breakfast, it did look like there was plenty of selection. (Although, there are cafe's on every corner for much cheaper!)

The location has got to be its biggest highlight, in the centre of Berlin with all the main attractions within walking distance (even better during Christmas time with markets scattered over the city). The hotel can feel a bit 'out of it' when it gets dark at night because its actually a couple of minutes beyond Checkpoint Charlie where the streets are very quite, but at no point did we feel uneasy in the area.

Let's be honest, it isn't the greatest hotel you've ever seen, but for the price, it's much better than expected and although I wouldn't want to stay here for more than a couple of days, it does the job perfectly for a few days exploring Berlin.

Room Tip: Although I didn't experience this myself, I was told by other travellers that you have to state...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2013

My boyfriend and I had booked at the Winter Checkpoint Charlie and had paid weeks in advance, confirming the arrival time (around 10:30 pm), however, once we arrived we were told there was a problem with our booking and we had to go to a nearby hotel '5 minutes walk away' (actually 15, which could be very unpleasant if cold/raining or carrying heavy luggage).
Despite this disappointment (which according to other reviews is likely to happen), the Winters at The Wall was very modern, nice and clean and very well located and excellent for the price we paid (£85 for 2 nights, best value for money of all the European hotels I have ever stayed in).
Would recommend and come back myself.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013

A lovely, comfortable hotel that covers all the necessities. The staff were helpful and the bar area was lovely. Rooms are quite stylish, with good en-suite bathroom and very comfortable beds. We always returned to the room looking immaculate as well.

Biggest plus was the location. It is in walking distance of most of the main tourist sights, and it was very easy to get further afield as well as the nearest U-Bahn was just up the road.

Nothing particularly stand-out about it, but for a clean comfortable place to rest your head after a day exploring sights (or in our case, Christmas Markets), it definitely did the job!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Exactly what I wanted from the hotel. Great Location. Very Modern. Bathroom and showers are great. Breakfast was great.

2 things I wasn't happy with was that there was a glass window from the bedroom into the bathroom?! This is the second time I've experienced this in Berlin and its slightly embarrassing since I was sharing with a friend! I could have understood if I'd have booked a bedroom with a double bed but I booked a bedroom with 2 single beds and so I found it very strange. You could see the bathroom and the shower from the bedroom.

Secondly the internet was very temperamental. I tried to login and it kept saying "To many concurrent users online, please try again later". I spoke to reception and they just said to keep trying. A proper working internet connection is extremely important to have for any hotel. At least it was free and when I finally was able to login (2 hours later) it was very fast.

If you are not bothered about the 2 things above then I highly suggest you go for it!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 12 December 2013

As a frequent traveller to Berlin the most important thing about a hotel is the location as in a city such as Berlin you will not want to spend much time in your hotel.

The hotel is located near Kochstasse U-Bahn station and a short walk from Fredichstrasse in the centre of the city and is great for shopping and bars.

The hotel itself is clean and well appointed but looking slightly dated now in terms of its styling.

The breakfast served at the hotel is a good selection but if it is not included in the room price is very expensive for what it is considering you have so many nice cafe's and bakeries nearby.

In summary this is a great hotel in a great location and well worth a visit if travelling and staying in Berlin.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 6 December 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights last weekend and found the hotel spotlessly clean, and the free in-room wifi excellent, but we thought the hotel lacked those nice little extras, for example no toiletries (just a squeezy bottle of all-in-one shampoo/soap in the shower), and no in-room tea/coffee facilities. We also found the mattress very hard and uncomfortable.

I thought the hotel offered great value for money (we booked it as a 'top secret' hotel through lastminute.com and paid £50/night), but I probably wouldn't go out of my way to stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple