“One Of My Favourite Restaurants”

Gaststatte Hoeck (Wilhelm Hoeck)
Ranked #127 of 631 Nightlife in Berlin
Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

Excellent.

Traditional German food, sourced locally, cooked perfectly, charged reasonably and served by a lovely waitress.

Would I go back? I already have, twice on the same trip and I only regret not going a third time.

1  Thank Liam R

Reviewed 15 July 2013

An amazing piece of history, bullet holes in the old wooden bar, photos of celebrities who have visited there over the decades, Olympic rowing memorabilia on the walls. We had dinner in the old part of the pub and no complaints, typical German fare, very filling and well priced. Only downfall was the very smoky atmosphere which was hard to cope with.

Reviewed 17 May 2012

I like to try new places, and this seemed to be just the thing. An old bar and restaurant, plenty of character and not really a touristy place. The website painted a pretty different picture to the reality. It was very busy and very, very smoky. I'd forgotten what it was like, to be in a pub full of smokers. It didn't have the ambiance portrayed in the web site gallery, I was disappointed. Not enough staff, our drink order forgotten, I had to remind the guy behind the bar. The restaurant is seperate, but just did'nt seem to have any atmosphere. We stayed for drinks, it was a one off visit, I've been but I won't be back. with so many great bars in berlin, feel free to give this one a miss, if not go and see for yourself, after all we all have different tastes., this just wasn't mine.

Reviewed 5 December 2010

Food here was amazing, more than you could ever wish to eat, traditional and very reasonably priced, gem of a place, must go especially if you'd stating at Leonardo Hotel, it's just round the corner!!

1  Thank RichKatie
Reviewed 30 January 2010

Ah, Wilhelm Hoeck! As a student in Berlin, I loved going to this old bar where the beers were carefully drawn, the food was simple, tasty and plentiful, and talking to the motley assembly of neighborhood originals - cynics and wits all - always immense fun. Fast forward to today, and I still love going to Wilhelm Hoeck (as do my kids), sitting in the original room of the old distillery (disregard the larger but impersonal annex "restaurant"), all bathed in a golden brown hue, a patina acquired through many decades. The beers are still carefully drawn and, like the large selection of fruit and other brandies, inexpensive compared to other places. If you stick to some old-time Berliner favorites when ordering food, you'll do just fine: I always order the blood and liver sausage plate with sauerkraut and potatoes, generous and excellent. The half-Eisbein (boiled pig's knuckle) comes with the same accompaniments, and there are sausages and Braten (roast) dishes that go perfectly well with the drinks. Admittedly, while these dishes are well made and have prices well shy of 10 Euros (I mentioned how inexpensive this place is), the cuisine is not the draw here, rather, it is a little bit of old Berlin, showing all the scars and bruises of that city's history but still a lively and unpretentious place. Hoeck is not a museum piece, the regulars (while fewer) still come and talk to each other (and anyone who wants to have a conversation). The service is friendly and efficient and after a short while, you will feel as if you had always come to Wilhelm Hoeck.

1  Thank Epices6