“Amazing Hotel!”

Ranked #242 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Los Angeles, California
“Amazing Hotel!”
Reviewed 2 October 2012

This hotel was truly such a wonderful surprise. My boyfriend and I arrived here in the afternoon after a truly miserable night train experience. We were definitely looking for something good. On first look you wonder where the actual Hotel is in the big building, but you find it on the 3rd floor and are immediately welcomed by it. The rooms are cozy and the beds are amazing. Coming from a week in a half in Italy, we were surprised and excited at how comfortable the mattresses were.

Chris and her husband Klaus, run this almost bed and breakfast. It is clean, warm, very spacious and a little bit funky (in a very good way, none of the towels match and I love that). They serve breakfast each morning which is an impressive spread of meats, breads, homemade yogurt, cereal, cheese, coffee, and soft boiled eggs. I could not believe it when Chris brought out the soft boiled eggs!! I was so excited. Apparently that is a German thing because we found it in the next two cities we visited, but they were prepared the best here.

Originally we had only booked 3 nights at Hotel Columbus, but Berlin has so much to see and do that we wanted to stay another night. On the morning we were supposed to check out, we checked and it said they had another room available for the night. Chris was so accommodating and helped us switch rooms. They even moved our luggage for us. This night we spengt in a room that did not include a bathroom and it was still absolutely perfect and we were so excited to be staying there again. I will recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a place to stay in Berlin. It was located close to public transport and easy to walk to close attractions. We loved it!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Erin S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2012

I have just returned from Berlin and my third stay at the Columbus so beautifully run by Chrissie and Klauss Konig . This small hotel is just perfect , the hosts are always glad to be of help with advice on transport or directions etc. the breakfast is amazingly good with wide choice of cereals and fresh fruits , home made yoghurt , freshly boiled eggs , a wide variety of bread and cold meat and cheeses and endless supply of coffee and tea etc.The position of the hotel is excellent just off Kurferstandam ,very handy for all the best shops ,lots of local restaurants and a metro and buses two minutes away . There is nowhere in Berlin that I would rather stay . Heres to the next time !!!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Israel
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Warm personal hospitality by Chris, the sweet and devoted manager.
Located close to public transportation.
Home like breakfast.
Big rooms and cracky wooden floor - what else can you ask in a successful holiday in Berlin?

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank matiep11
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 26 September 2012

We stayed at the Pension Columbus for a second time in May 2012 and enjoyed it very much. The rooms are comfortable and the building is situated on a sidestreet off the Ku'damn, which is a great location for shopping. Also, there is a u-bahn stop very close to the hotel for easy access to the other areas of Berlin. Breakfast is plentiful and is served until 11:00, which works great for those of us who don't get up incredibly early. The bottomless pot of coffee is a plus. The couple who operate the hotel, Klaus and Chris, are friendly and helpful. All in all, for the price I would be surprised if one could find a better deal along the Ku'damn.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Roy C
ireland
Reviewed 20 September 2012

I stayed two nights at the end of a business trip.
Very friendly staff and a fantastic location just off the Ku'Damm.
I had read all the reviews and everything stacks up.
However I did have a feeling of uneasiness about the place - a bit like staying with your granny or aunt. I do not like the over familiarity, and prefer a 'keep your distance' approach. I am probably in the minority here, but this would not be my place of choice in Berlin. There is much better value available locally, without the overt 'friendliness'

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 September 2012 via mobile

Simply perfect! In 6 weeks of travel across europe this was the best place we stayed and the most affordable!!!! Such beautiful owners, waited up for us as our flight was delayed, gave us a gorgeous room with beautiful chandilier and a honey moon gift of champagne in our room when we arrived!! Rooms are very clean (& cleaned every day) beds are super comfortable with quilts for each person, wifi is awesome, deco is beautiful - vintage & knickknacks, Just beautiful things placed around ramdomly and it works so well! Natural plants in the breakfast room on the window sill are super cute. It truely feels like a home away from home, building is gorgeous and secure and in a central location close to excellent food, shopping, zoo and transport. Home made breakfast every morning is included and again the owners Chris & Klouse are super friendly, kind and welcoming, helpful and just such beautiful happy service given in a perfect atmosphere! Berlin is incredible and we wish we could have stayed longer to enjoy both the incredible city itself as well as the amazing service and beautiful space of Pensione Columbus!!! I would recommend staying here to everyone and any one looking for the best in value & experience in Europe! Noni & Gez

• Stayed September 2012
Porthaethwy
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I had read glowing reports of this hotel before booking it, and can only agree wholeheartedly with them. I had such a warm welcome and this same warmth was evident throughout my stay. The place was spotless and very comfortable but it was the little extras that made it outstanding. I had forgotten my adapter but it was no problem - I was lent one for the duration. My room had a hairdryer but although this is not true of all rooms, one only has to ask and it will be provided. The breakfast was very good indeed and the home made yogurt excellent as was the homegrown fruit. Being able to help oneself to the fruit during the day was an added bonus, as was the chocolate wafer left on the pillow at night.
Of course, if you like your run of the mill hotel with a lounge and a bar this is not the place for you, but if you are a more discerning visitor then book it.

Room Tip: Not all rooms come with private bath so book early.