“Great Hotel - if the water were warm...”

SensCity Hotel Albergo
Ranked #345 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 9 May 2014

This is not your run of the mill franchised hotel, but the owners have succeeded in creating an unique Mediterranean atmosphere, which is very pleasant, both in the restaurant and the rooms. Located at the edge of the city, with easy connection via U3 and U7. The staff is extremely helpful and very friendly. I would have warmly recommended this hotel, if it hand't been for the fact that on my second morning, there was no warm water for the showers.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 7 March 2014

I was actually pretty shocked at how nice this place was! There is a UBahn station very close by (closer than Google suggested actually, so make sure you look at a map!). We arrived very late at night, but we let them know ahead of time so there was a key waiting for us even though nobody was at the front desk.

There was very little noise to speak of aside from normal street noise. We slept comfortably with the window open with no issues at all. Is it dead quiet like my own neighborhood? No. However, I would say it is certainly quiet enough and given its location, I was quite pleased. The temperature in early September was quite comfortable despite not having AC which had been a concern for us initially.

The rooms are GORGEOUS! Yes parts of it are a little small, but I was shocked at how elegant it was for the price. I've stayed in one star hotels that cost as much as my room did, and boy this is no 1 star hotel that's for sure! The bathroom/shower was nice, but the soaps were kind of "eh", so we ended up buying our own toiletries after we arrived. No big deal though. I actually liked going to a local shop to pick out some German shampoo and such!

We stayed for 4 nights, and every staff member we encountered was very kind and helpful! Excellent English speakers too! One of the front desk staff got us set up with a tourist metro pass that worked out great for us too. Definitely worth it!

The breakfast there was very good at the hotel, but we only ate it once. For our first morning in Berlin it hit the spot with a nice selection of breads and meats. There is a cafe nearby (ParkCafe I think it was called?) which was DIVINE that we frequented for breakfast instead on subsequent days.

We did end up at the hotel restaurant for dinner one night and it was fantastic. I wish they had a little more variety in the way of beers, but other than that I was fully satisfied with the food and the service.

I wish that WiFi service was included in the hotel, but most hotels I looked into in this price range also charged for WiFi so that seems par for the course.

I would absolutely stay here again if I ever find myself back in Berlin!

Room Tip: I read a few reviews with noise-concerns, but I didn't hear a thing from the restaurant downstai...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Pumpahkin
Reviewed 4 December 2013

The hotel, although advertising free internet in its own description actually charges 6 euros/ day unless you are willing to take breakfast at 10 euro /day. Worse still it does not have the facility to print off documents ie Ryanair, which for me, involved a lengthy trek to a Internet cafe and 6 euro charge to obtain these check in documents. I would suggest that if you decide to have breakfast you visit early as there was so little left ( with no sign of replenishment) that we left and ate elsewhere

To be fair the rooms are exactly as they are pictured and are warm and comfortable and the evening restaurant offers fair/good value for money

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Having read previous reviews I was a little worried about the noise but, hey, what noise. NONE.
While a little way out it is well served by the U Bahn which is just around the corner and a short travel from the centre.
Reception was pleasant, helpful and spoke good English
The room was very clean and well presented in an Italian theme which was quite attractive. Tea and coffee in the room and all facilities which you could want. We had a problem with the safe and a noisy radiator, which both were fixed without delay.
The restaurant was like two very different establishments, breakfast was considered expensive at 10 euro. It was not well presented and scrambled eggs etc. were well past the leave out date, staff were not attentive nor checking the buffet to replace items resulting in shortages (basics like butter) and old dry food. Whereas in the evening it was fine with evening meals that represented good value for money and well presented. Obviously staff do make a difference.
One criticism was the complementary Wi fi. Apparently complementary Wi fi to the hotel means a computer in the foyer that was not working. I consider complementary Wi fi being available to use my own devise in the hotel as I wish. Reluctantly they agreed after a short discussion to give a pass for one connection.(otherwise 6 euro a day) I consider this to be extremely short sighted by the hotel as the cost to them is nil. It spoiled an otherwise overall excellent experience and left a bit of a sour taste.
We booked well in advance and obtained quite a good rate whereas just prior to flying when checking prices they had trebled to about 100 euro p.n.
Overall quite good value if you book in advance.

Room Tip: 4th floor, no noise.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bowwow2
Reviewed 24 September 2012

The desk staff are very pleasant and accommodating. The room is small but clean. The restaurant waiter was very rude to my wife when she dined there by herself. The worst thing about this hotel is there is no air conditioning and if you open the window you get the very noisy street noise and the even lauder train noise... so if you are looking for a quite place, this would not be it.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Philip E
Reviewed 3 June 2012

This hotel is a little way out of the centre of Berln but the S bahn is minutes walk and the U Bahn even closer. if you buy a BVG tourist ticket at 28 Euros per person, you can get anywhere really easily. The taxi from Schonefeld was 38 Euros (May 2012) but we got the train back which was a synch. (You need to be aware that the airport is just outside the 'B' zone so technically we should have paid a little extra for that trip but didn't realise (and the inspector was OK about it).
The hotel was clean and comfortable. We had a complimentry bottle of wine too!
Reception was helpful and breakfast plentiful and didn't disappoint. the highlight was the restaurant which we used every night. The food and service we top notch and good value for money at 50-60 euros or so for 2 including wine.
We were at the front directly above the resaurant on floor 2, and had ZERO problems with any noise from below.The traffic was noisy but didn't concern too much, however I would request a room at the rear if possible.

Room Tip: A room at the back or side would reduce the traffic noise
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank david b
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I stayed in this hotel several times now, at different prices , but always got good value for money. The roomas are nicly decorated and the breakfast (on the top floor) is very individual. The problems are the noises from th restaurant (open until midnight). I would prefer if they would have a bathtub (only showers available) - but the botel is clean and very conveniently located. Near to the underground /bus system and not far from center.

Overall, a hotel with good athmosphere (apart from the points mentioned)

Room Tip: Try to get room with balcony (1st floor to the) or romms in 3 floor to rear (more quite)
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends