“OK, but not in a great location.”

SensCity Hotel Albergo
Ranked #336 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“OK, but not in a great location.”
Reviewed 16 September 2009

We had originally booked a stay at another hotel owned by the same company, but due to problems with that hotel, we were moved here. This hotel is fine, but it's mostly for business travelers. The rooms were nice, and we had a small balcony overlooking the street. Free internet was also good. The front desk staff was very nice and helpful, taking joy in giving us directions or advice.

The hotel is a business area, but just a short walk from a U-Bahn stop, which made getting to the touristy areas very easy. The italian restaurant in the hotel was already closed at 8pm on a Saturday night, so the front-desk clerk directed us to a trendy bar & grill about 2 blocks away that was very good.

Breakfast is quite good, lots of pastries, warm food, cereal, and drinks. Everyone else eating was always in full suit and tie, so every day when we would arrive in our jeans and t-shirts, the hotel worker would eye us suspiciously and ask to see our room key (this despite the fact that it was the same worker all 4 days, I guess she never trusted us), and never asked any of the businessmen to provide their keys.

Overall it's a decent hotel, but if we were to return to Berlin, we'd look for something more centrally located.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bearcathk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
London
Reviewed 2 August 2009

The hotel is described as four star, and at first glance it appears very nice. However, although the room is attractive, the facilities are very poor - no tea or coffee making facilities, a VERY expensive minibar (four quid for a bag of crisps?!) and no complimentary toiletries (a nightmare given that our shampoo, shower gel etc had been stolen by the good people at the Ryanair check-in). The room was incredibly hot with no way to regulate the temperature except opening the window, onto a very noisy and busy main road, so sleep was difficult either way.
However, the real problem with this hotel is the fact that there is NO-ONE THERE AFTER 11pm. Literally no-one. Therefore, if you go out of the hotel without your room key and arrive back after 11pm, hard luck - you are sleeping on the street. Or if you pop into a friend's room after 11pm, and your door accidentally slams behind you (as happened to me), you can't get back into your room without ringing an emergency number (found by chance on the wall in the lift). Yes, someone turned up an hour later with a master key, but I then got charged 55 euros for an emergency call out! I dread to think what would have happened if there had been a real emergency like a fire or a break in. The place is like the Marie Celeste as soon as the clock turns 11pm and I found this astonishing for a four star hotel in a capital city.
In terms of location, it's ok - very near a U-Bahn station but on a line that was tricky to get to the more popular areas such as Unter den Linden without several changes.
The breakfast was a self service buffet, and nothing out of the ordinary. I am amazed that this hotel has four stars. I would never go back.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank loakes

Travellers are raving about these Berlin hotels

Liverpool, UK
Reviewed 1 December 2008

Stayed at Hotel Albergo two nights with my wife during December. The hotel decor was fantastic, the rooms very comfortable- very cosy and the bathroom/shower spotless and plenty of hot water. I feel that previous reviews may have been a bit unfair on the hotel staff, as they were very friendly, spoke excellent English, and it seemed that they could not do enough for us. On the plus side, this is a small, comfortable, friendly hotel, and the website photos do reflect the how the hotel actually looks. On the negative side, it is slightly out of the way, and while the u-bahn runs to Fehrbelliner Platz on a regular basis, the U-trains can feel rather deserted and a bit intimidating after about 11PM, although we did not experience or witness any incidents. I would recommend this hotel to anybody wanting a romantic weekend, who did not want to be anywhere in a hurry, or stay out until the early hours. I would not recommend this hotel for stag/hen parties, etc, who would be better served staying around Hackescher Markt (excellent place for beers/food) in Mitte.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cat065
Reviewed 28 September 2008

I booked this hotel through easyjet and deeply regret my decision. I was not informed there was a shuttlebus and was forced to limp to the hotel along a streets lined with used-car lots as, even with a damaged leg, no taxi would transfer me. My reception was off handed and I was given a room in an annex over the restaurant. In the restaurant the waiter tried to retain €7 as a tip on a €13 meal. In my room I was kept awake through the night by a combination of traffic nose(road <20 metres away), train noise (main line railway <50 metres) and mosquito bites. On waking at 6 am I found a door outside my room connecting directly to the street was wide open and I assume it had been so all night. Security ??

Needing an early transfer to the centre of Berlin I needed to check out early and came down to the restaurant at 6.30, the advertised start of the meal but nothing was ready and I was told to wait 5 minutes, that turned into ten and for my €7.50 I eventually got 1/2 cup coffee a glass of juice and a bread roll before I had to hurry away. On check out I was offered a shuttle ride to the station by the receptionist but after speaking to the driver I was told I could either wait a further 10 mins or walk.

The theme of this hotel is "sorry sir". Maybe mine wasn't a typical visit but I would never return. Talking to colleagues I'm now convinced there ar better, even if slightly more expensive alternatives to this very badly managed and situated hotel.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — the attitude that any shortcoming could be fixed by "sorry sir" without any other action
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank Mike K
Brescia, Italy
Reviewed 7 September 2008

Very comfortable hotel. Close to Schoenefeld airport, only 10 minutes walking.After leaving the airport turn right on the main street and follow the street for 500mt: you're arrived. The hotel is a nice old renewed building. It's small, nice bedroom. Quite a good staff even if in tipical german style (never hope they are as kind as in UK). Cleaning service is good. There's a small restaurant connected to the hotel in the main court in another building (but I've not been experiencing it). The only trouble is the connection to town center. You have to come back to airport underground station and it takes half an hour to reach AlexanderPlatz. At evening and by night the underground connection is not so good so take care when you decide to stay in town center longer.

• Liked — Very close to the airport but it's not noisy
  • Disliked — Quite distant from town center, not very good connection to
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kassel, Germany
Reviewed 10 June 2008

This is a four star hotel in the West part of Berlin. The closest subway station is Fehrbelliner Platz, so the trip to the centre of Berlin or the main station takes about 20-25 mins by public transport.

The hotel is decorated in an Italian style which I assume is supposed to resemble a "baroque" theme. I liked it as it is pleasantly different from all those mainstream chain hotels and - apart from the reasonable rates, the design was my reason for choosing it.

What I did not like is that the hotel does not have aircondition which is quite unusual for a four-star hotel. I was staying during a hot summer night and could not find any sleep due to the heat. To get a little bit of air, I had to keep the window open which resulted in the street noise getting in. The duvet they provided must be the same used year-round as it was very thick and warm and hence not useful for summer time. The small fan that was in the room was insufficient.

The breakfast was served in a nice surrounding on the fifth floor of the hotel with a lot of daylight in the room which was nice. The food selection and quality was average, but considering this hotel has four stars it could have been better.

On the plus side, there is a free internet pc next to the reception desk, while other hotels in Germany still try to make big money out of this service.

Overall, I may go back to this hotel for its personality and charme, but definitely not in summer time.

• Liked — charming design
  • Disliked — no aircondition
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank cb0079