Hotel OTTO
  • Pool
US$103
US$115
1,322 results
All reviewstop floorbetween floorscomfort roomdressing roomfree coffee and cakefair tradelift stopss bahnevery afternoonbreakfast roomcharlottenburg areaquiet streethotel is locatedminute walkthere is no air conditioningfree wififriendly hotel
Reviewed 6 November 2010

We stayed in Hotel Otto for 5 nights on holiday. We arrived in Berlin (Tegel Airport) and got a taxi to the hotel (around 20 Euros if I remember correctly). The reception was open until 11 pm so not a problem for evening flights. Our room was immaculate - both the bedroom and the bathroom spotlessly clean, as were the communal areas of the hotel (lift, corridors, restaurant).

We had requested a quiet, comfort room, and were given room 505, overlooking the car park at the back of the hotel. It was indeed quiet and we heard no noise at all from neighbours during the nights that we were there. Our only complaint was that despite being a comfort room it did not have the day bed and dressing room as advertised - however, the staff agreed a suitable compromise.

The location of the hotel was good. It's in a wide, quiet street, and the areas that we frequented in the evening felt very safe for walking around. I would have no problem in recommending this hotel to a lone female traveller.

There were plenty of restaurants within walking distance. We often ended up in what I recall was Cafe Hardenberg, left out of the hotel and then right and along the road on the right hand side, where the drinks were very reasonably priced, coffees and teas were available all evening, and staff were friendly.

Within the hotel, we very much enjoyed the high quality breakfast. A huge range of options included the usual continental cereals, juices, fruits and yogurts, and there was also a range of cheese, cold meats, smoked salmon etc. A delicious, high quality spread every day, with a relaxed and friendly atmosphere where you could linger as long as you wished.

Coffee, tea and cake were available in the afternoons, although we did find that the coffee was starting to get cold in the early evenings. The best time to strike would be late afternoon. Contrary to other reviews, we never arrived to find the cake finished. We also really appreciated the free bottled water (available from reception). These were nice touches.

Reception staff were friendly and helpful. We were able to purchase bus tickets which we used to travel to the East, and enjoyed seeing the sights of Checkpoint Charlie and the Museum there.

All in all, an excellent hotel which is well worth a visit!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AbClare
Reviewed 1 November 2010

We chose this hotel based on TripAdvisor reviews and everything that we read is at it should be: it is located in a charming street with low traffic, wide sidewalks and plenty of restaurants to choose from (we particularly recommend visiting: Pratirio-Cypriot/Greek and Buddha Republic-Indian/Asian).
Knesebeckstrasse is also a short walk from KuDam and there are both U-Bahn and S-Banh on both ends of the street.

One minor disappointment was that the Comfort room that we booked was about half the size of what is described on the hotel web site (approx. 16-18sqm vs. 36sqm) and it was the smallest room on the floor based on the emergency map.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alex_PL
Reviewed 31 October 2010

I had an amazing stay at Hotel OTTO. Starting from the friendly reception up to the perfect location! Highly recommended, comfortable, clear rooms and fantastic breakfast. Friendly staff (I will not forget my favourite tea!), convenient location.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Eleo_2010
Reviewed 12 October 2010

Set in the leafy area of Charlottensburg, this trendy hotel was roomy and the staff delightful. Transportation to the old East Berlin was simple by train although the walk via the gardens was worthwhile doing once, at least. Restaurants in the hotel area are plentiful and varied.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank drkenbuck
Reviewed 24 August 2010

The Hotel Otto is a great place to stay. It's central and within easy walking distance to the U-bahn (Ernst Reuter Platz- 5 mins from hotel) and the S-Bahn (Savignyplatz- 10 mins walk). I was fortunate to be upgraded to a studio apartment on the 6th floor , which was really good.

It was clean throughout and had great facilities. A lovely comfortable double bed and spacious wardrobes with a safe inside. The kitchenette had a 2 ring electric hob and a full size fridge, which I found very useful. The cupboards had 1 frying pan and 1 saucepan, crockery, cutlery and even a corkscrew. It even had a cafetiere with free coffee, which was a nice touch. The room was cleaned every day and the Zents toiletries were lovely. It was nice to have extras like a hairdryer and a TV. There was even a dvd player if you wanted it. I had lovely views over the city from a mini balcony.

The hotel's lounge and breakfast/cafe room on the 7th floor was nice and had great views from the balcony patio. However, every time I went up there, there were no cakes (I think I must have timed it wrong!) but there was fresh fruit and coffee available.

The staff were very helpful and polite. I liked the fact that when I spoke to them in German, they answered me in German, rather than in English. I have an A-level in German so I like to practise using what I know! Their English was excellent though as I overheard them talking to other guests. I was also able to leave my backpack locked away reception on my last day, as my flight wasn't until the evening and staff were very accomodating.

The nearest supermarket that I found was a 'Netto' on the corner where Knesebeckstrasse meets the Kufurstendamm road. It was a bit like Lidl. On the actual road of the Hotel Otto, there is a lovely bakery, a pharmacy and a digital photo printing shop that I found sells batteries if you need them for your camera!

Be warned though- most of the shops are closed on Sundays so don't plan to go shopping then.

Overall, a fantastic location, clean and smart, with helpful staff. I would happily go back again!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo