“Almost very good”

Ranked #321 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Budapest, Hungary
“Almost very good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2011

Located in great place - this part of district Friedrichshain good place for young tourist, it has youthful, fizzy life. Really cool. The other parts of the city are easily reachable - tram, u-bahn, s-bahn are close there, and it is not far from the center of Berlin, Alexanderplatz. In the surrounding streets you can find lots of cafés, bars to have a breakfast or just drink or eat something. There are groceries too, and about 5-10 mins walk are standing supermarkets.
Our room was on the top, so it was quiet. But not so roomy for 4 persons, and the plus bed was not really comfortable. The bathroom is really small, but clean. The equipment made-up only the necessary things, it's okay.
The staff could't speak english, only some words. We had no problem about this, but some tourist could have - i really don't understand this. There is free internet access, but we couldn't use it anyway. It's possible to have breakfast in the morning, witch is worth it.
In total, this place it better than average, but it's not very good - it needs some improvements. Anyway I recommend it.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank davidabraham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Polish first
Glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2010

This hotel is in the old East Berlin. The location is fine, only a 10 minute walk to the metro. The rooms have shared bathrooms but the bathrooms are excellent and very clean. The room was small but all that was required for a base for exploring Berlin. It is about half an hour from Alexander Platz (walking and Metro). I stayed here for 4 nights and it worked out about £30 per night for me which I considered excellent value. Previous visitors had said that the ground floor was noisy but I was on the ground floor and heard no noise at all. The entrance arrangements are slightly strange but you are given 2 keys, one for a gate into a courtyard and the other into the hotel. I stayed for 7 days altogether and found Berlin very interesting. The third Reich walking tour was fascinating and led by a young fit American man who strode on ahead at about 5 miles an hour as we toured the main places of interest. At 10 euros each this ( to me ) was amazing value. I bought a 7 day two zone travel pass and a 3 day museum pass and if you are staying for 7 days would recommend both.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Scotpacker
New York, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2009

I was going to be in Berlin for one night to catch a flight the next day and wanted a place cheap. I booked the single room on the ground floor with shared bathroom. I was never comfortable with sharing bathrooms but I thought for one night, I would try. The experience was totally fine. It was in the middle of the week and the hotel was not full. I saw two other girls sharing with me the two showers and one toilet. It was fine, very clean. However, I wouldn’t want to do that during busy seasons since you might have to wait for the facilities (and also the possibility of more mess in the bathrooms). The room I stayed in was extremely basic--one single bed with a TV and armchair—but very clean. It’s right next to the reception desk. The window faces a bunch of bikes parked in the central courtyard. So it’s really just a safe, clean place to sleep. Since it’s next to the reception desk, you hear noises of people talking and walking past, which might be a problem when you need to sleep (I used ear plugs and it was fine).

The reception staff showed me one other room (double) with a private bathroom upstairs. That room was much more spacious and it naturally didn’t face a bunch of bikes. I would recommend that.

The owner is a nice man who speaks some single English words. During the day, his staff speak English. Everyone’s nice. The breakfast is sufficient. The juice was much better than juices I got at other 3 or 4 star hotels I stayed at during my trip. It wasn’t freshly squeezed but it’s not the watery stuff I got elsewhere (it was more like Tropicana). There’s free Wifi internet.

The area Friedrichshain is great with lots of restaurants, bars and cafes. The U-bahn is one long block away (about 5min walk). I would recommend this basic, clean and no-nonsense place.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo