“Fabulous!”

baxpax downtown Hostel Hotel
Ranked #40 of 362 Speciality Lodging in Berlin
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This hostel/hotel was incredible! The staff are very nice and they will help you with advice on where to go or what to do. They also have brochures around the hostel that appeal to many different visitors such as those of a club crawl, a pub crawl, dance clubs, meditations, walking tours, etc. So if you go to Berlin without a clue of what to do, the staff and the resources are at the hostel.
The building itself is very cute, keeping in mind that this is a youth hostel. There is a "playground" which is closest to an arcade with a pool table, a foosball table and some other neat things. There is an outside eating area or the garden I believe which is just great if you want to sit outside to relax. I believe there is also a pool but I went during winter season so it was not open yet.
There is a restaurant/bar connected to the hostel and even though food is not automatically included, you can always order food there for a rather fair price. About 5 Euros for some bacon and eggs with orange juice is a way better bargain than going out for breakfast.
Now for the rooms; I stayed in a 3 person studio apartment and it was magnificent. There were three big beds, very comfortable with fancy pillows. We had a mini kitchen, complete with a stove, microwave, mini fridge, and a sink. We had a nice view from the 4th floor and everything was very complete. However, the only one complaint I have about the layout of the room is the bathroom. The walls are slightly slanted because of the architecture of the building, so there is no standing room in the shower if that makes sense. So if you're a person that prefers to take a bath, this room would be absolutely perfect for you. However, I prefer showers so let's just say that the bathroom was usually soaked by the end of a shower.
Besides that little detail, the service was fantastic, the rooms were wonderful, the location is spot on, and walking distance from so many things, (you could walk to check point charlie from the hostel!), and it was just a good place to rest your head.
I would definitely come here again if given the chance.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 5 nights in a single room. The place is clean, very good location and the staff was really friendly. I only missed more events to get guests to integrate, but I would definately stay there again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Hostel was very clean and modern. Stayed in a 30 bed room with lockers provided for valuables however did not need to lock anything up as everyone was very trustworthy. Mostly students travelling who you could easily make friends with and ended up going on nights out with people staying in the room! Location is excellent, five minute walk into the center of Berlin. Staff are very friendly and helpful in recommending places to go out however, if you are being too loud drinking in the evening (after 11pm) with everyone in the room they will ask you politely to leave to allow people to sleep. Lighting in the room is quite bad however everyone has their own lamp and you need to bring your own padlock. Overall, perfect location, easily made friends and everyone was very nice and friendly! 100% recommend it!

Room Tip: 30 bed room is great to meet people however if you like quietness and your own space choose a single...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 April 2014

For the second time in two years I stayed a night at baxpax downtown hostel in a private single room. The price was 50E for a weeknight. Last time I checked in late and left early so did not bother writing a review. This time i was there for close to a full day and night.

The best thing about this place is its location. It is in the centre of Mitte with lots of night life, restaurants, a major train/metro station, and tourist sites all within walking distance.

Other positives are a clean en suite room that is big enough for one person - more spacious than an easyhotel room with small table and chair and a bit of storage space but smaller than in a typical hotel. There is also free Wifi (see caveat below), a 24 hour reception desk with friendly multilingual staff, a cupboard/closet to hang clothes, and a bar. Despite it being a hostel I only heard other guests (playing music) briefly when I returned for ten minutes in the early evening. (Last time I stayed here back in 2012 it was a Friday. There was no noise problem then either).

As for the negatives. Though the Wifi worked well in my room (several floors up) it was annoying that I had to retype the password and log in again every time I restarted my device. The single bed was comfortable enough but there was only one duvet blanket that didn't fully cover my feet. Also, despite the room guide claiming there was an English language channel (BBC News) I went through them all without finding it. (There are 20 or so German channels including Eurosport). No free breakfast either.

If you wish to check out later you can for an extra charge.

This particular baxpax is a reasonably good budget option made better due to its unbeatable location.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 April 2014

A very clean and well-located hostel! The staff is very kind and the rooms are modern and comfortable! I was there with four friends of mine and we were all very happy about the Baxpax Downtown! I think I would choose the same hostel if I had to return to Berlin!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

Its in an ok location, close to some sights.
The buffet breakfast is overpriced best to look at the breakfast menu instead.
The resturant and bar is nice, food is good but i still would appreciate the option of a kitchen which they dont have.
The rooms are clean, but the whole building is just a concrete grey block with no personlity. Perhaps their in the middle of some re decorating, hope so.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 March 2014

This hostel is within 5 minutes walk from Friedrichstrasse station which is very convenient and main attractions are all walkable. When we arrived the staff was friendly but didn't explain much about our accommodation. They did provide us with some good advice about a free walking tour which we went on the next day. Our room was small but clean and well maintained. The room was a double but the double bed frame had two single mattresses and single blankets - a bit awkward for a couple but comfortable nonetheless. The room we stayed in had a tv with a fair amount of channels and good storage space. The bathroom was very clean though the motion-sensor light was very sensitive and often turned off while we were in the shower. Additionally, the shower button needs to be hit about every 2 minutes to keep the water flowing. Also, there is a large gap between the bathroom door and the floor - you can hear everything!
The hostel cleans the rooms every day unless you tell them not too, which we weren't told when we arrived but there were no problems. We stayed for 3 nights and did experience a lot of noise from the courtyard during one of them, with other guests laughing and talking into the early morning (Monday night). Also, the door leading to our semi-balcony did blow open while we were out making the room chilly, and again while we were sleeping (even though we checked it was firmly shut when we went to bed). The hostel has a bar that serves breakfast for 6 euros a day, and stays open for lunch and drinks at night. Smoking is permitted and we found it to be quite smoky, which was annoying since you have to walk through the smoky bar to get to your rooms. The hostel also has lockers available for luggage so if you arrive early or leave the city much later than you check out you can store your bags while you are out. Overall we had a positive experience and would stay there again. Very reasonably priced for the quality of the room.

Room Tip: rooms facing the courtyard experience noise during the night from the bar and patio.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple