“So good one hesitates to share...”

BEST WESTERN Hotel Berlin-Mitte
Ranked #209 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Toronto, Canada
“So good one hesitates to share...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

I chose the hotel because of its proximity to a conference I was attending - and it turned out to be perfect at all levels. It is on a quiet, one-way street next to the Ukrainian Embassy, and there are several good (cheap and cheerful) restaurants near by, as well as a small store to get water, bevvies, fruit and veg. The breakfast at the hotel is reasonable with healthy options (8 Euro) with limitless coffee. The staff were AMAZINGLY friendly and helpful, to a person. Kudos to them and to the person that recruited and trained them. The hotel is small, boutique sized, for me a pleasant discovery as I expected something a bit more impersonal given it was a chain hotel. My room was very small; it WAS billed as a single featuring twin beds together, typical for a European hotel, but well designed and equipped, with a window that opened and air conditioning that worked (Berlin can get very hot at times, which turns a/c into a priority quickly :-)), clean, amenities (like a hairdryer, safe, enough hangers, towels and an iron when requested). There was no fridge in my room, good to know in case that's a priority. The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet except for one night when folks chose to hang out outside the elevators and chat at 1 a.m.). One takes one's chances here; I'd request a room away from the elevators! FYI, many hotels feature smaller than average rooms - reminiscent of London and Paris - space is, quite simply, at a premium in big cities. With all there is to do in Berlin, one is not in one's room much!
The breakfast room is very pleasant and comfortable.
As well as being close to where I wanted to be, the location was a bonus - near the Friedrichstrasse U-Bahn and the Oranjentor S-bahn stations, buses and tons of easily walkable sights like the Deutsches Historisches Museum, Unter den Linden, Brandenburg Gate, and much more. The Museum Insel (Museum Island) is a quick walk away.
When I return to Berlin, I will seek out a reservation at this hotel. Not the cheapest, but a far cry in price from the hotels nearby, offering what most travellers need. SUPER location and friendly service = good value. Thanks especially to the front desk staff who were friendly, patient and helpful.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the elevators on a lower floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Stewsview
Customer C, Leiter Gästebetreuung at BEST WESTERN Hotel Berlin-Mitte, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Stewsview,

thank you for takling your time to share your experiences. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcome you again on your next trip.

BEST regards from Berlin

Customer Care

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Leiden, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

We've stayed in this hotel again and again since 2009, and we continue to love its location. In a city like Berlin, any hotel tends to be a starting point rather than a destination in itself, and as such this hotel ticks all the boxes. For one thing, it's very close to 'our Berlin local', Ständiger Vertretung. And from Friedrichstrasse Station, you can travel all across town.
The hotel is simply quite good. The breakfast buffet meets our needs. The rooms are a bit cramped and the synthetic bed linens make us sweat, but then again, wifi is included and the staff are really kind.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Josee K
Istanbul, Turkey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

The best thing about this hotel is its location. It is very near to Friedrichstrasse. Also, you can walk to Reichtag and Brandenburger Tor in 5-10 minutes. The room was small, but it was clean. The staff is not helpful at all. It is located in a silent, peaceful street; so the sleep quality is perfect.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Burcak K
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

I have had positive experiences in Best Western Hotels before but my experience at this one was dreadful. Staff were unhelpful and refused to honor my voucher, the room was tiny and there was a bad odor in the bathroom.

Pushing 2 single beds together is not the same as a double bed.

I have stayed in better hotels in Berlin for around the same price. Will not go back here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DayTripper_719
Customer C, Leiter Gästebetreuung at BEST WESTERN Hotel Berlin-Mitte, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Daytripper_719,

thank you for taking your time to review your stay in our hotel. We appreciate all comments because they help us to improve our services. We are sorry that we did not exceed your expectatipons and will do our best to convince you of our services if you give us a chance to welcome you again during your next trip to Berlin.

Kind regards
Bergamo, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

When my boss booked a 3 stars hotel I said "Ok, it's for a night only...". Instead, I found a welcoming staff, who let me checkin 2 hours in advance, a very clean room, a perfectly working wi-fi connection for free, and a big comfortable bed. Everything for a price that if cannot be called cheap, it is for sure affordable !

Room Tip: Be prepared: with glass walls if you are light sensitive you'll need something to shield your ey...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank WalkingAboutWorld
Customer C, Leiter Gästebetreuung at BEST WESTERN Hotel Berlin-Mitte, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear WalkingAboutWorld,

thank you for taking your time to share your experience with our hotel. We are glad to hear that we exceeded your expectations and hope to welcome you again during your next trip to Berlin

BEST Regards

Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

The room looked very nice and modern and it was very clean. We had a bedroom for two and it was simply to small. The breakfast was very good. There were cereals, fresh coffee, different kinds of bred, cheese and eggs. They also had different cakes. So there was really lots to choose from. The hotel is located very good. You could reach Brandenburgertor in about 5 minutes. Friedrichstrasse (street where lots of Shops and Restaurants are) is right arround the corner. The staff was, lets say, as friendly as Berliners could possibly be. I would book this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
hereford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

We were greeted by a friendly receptionist on our arrival who allowed us to leave our bags in a locked room whilst we waited for our rooms to be available. There was a hiccough initially as the receptionist was under the impression we had booked one room, however when I showed her the confirmation letter she soon sorted it on the computer.
She gave us directions to the shopping area by foot, and we found it no trouble.
The hotel is quite compact and the rooms are quite small but as we had booked a room each it wasn't too awful for us. Not a great deal of room for moving around as there are 2 chairs occupying the space that is needed to move around the beds.Nowhere much to pop your suitcase unless you stick it underneath dressing table.
I took my own travel kettle,cups and teabags but I believe if you need a set you can ask for one free of charge from reception. I cannot travel anywhere without having my own cup of tea/coffee in my room, so always take it along. Read the info guide as you will be surprised what facilities are available but not actually provided in the room. We had a short mini break but I should imagine if you stayed for a week or more the wardrobe space would be very constricting for a couple.
The breakfast was included in our deal however was a huge disappointment for us, considering everything else had been brilliant with this hotel.
We were informed it was served from 7am to 10am. We strolled into full dining room at 08.45am and saw the buffet on the side. A waitress brought us a pot of coffee immediately but the hot food was very scarce. I noticed other tourists with small plates piled high with smoked salmon, scrambled eggs, boiled eggs,pastries, bacon and small sausages. When I peeked into the bain maries, most were almost empty with no sign of replenishment. No doubt the hotel considered the quantity ample for the amount of guests however some GREEDY tourists selfishly helped themselves way too much. I managed to have a teaspoon full of scrambled egg, two tiny scraps of smoked salmon (last on the server) two tiny sausages, there was a scrap broken piece of bacon left but I did not take it, no sign of any boiled eggs anywhere besides on the plates a plenty of the greedy diners. The bread was lovely to be honest and there was a huge amount of plastic ham and cheese and a whole jar of pickled gherkins untouched. My daughter fancied a croissant however all that was left was a torn corner of a croissant that had broken off. She could not face the sweet sugary cereals in the hopper, so chose a bowl of yoghurt however it was not cold but room temperature-Eww.
We did not venture into the breakfast room again for our trip but decided to use a lovely coffee shop around the corner. I have since had feedback from a woman representing the hotel to confirm that she will be speaking to someone regarding my complaint.
The trip to Berlin was great for my daughter and I but I will warn other readers contemplating the visit this time of year, nothing prepared us for just how cold the temperatures can be. My daughter has visited New York in winter and said Berlin is so much colder. We had a lovely four days having leisurely lunches and dinners plus fitting in a few sights on foot or taxi as we were not brave enough to use underground. The taxi drivers are friendly and helpful, not too expensive either. I wanted to do the free walking tour with Sandemans however my daughter could not stay outside walking solid for 3 hours due to an eye complaint &severe freezing weather but it looked extremely interesting and the guide was lovely to chat to and very honest.
The tour meets outside Starbucks near Brandenburg gate however forget stepping inside any Starbucks as it is worse than the Harrods sale with the sea of customers.
Just a warning too that people will randomly walk up to you and ask for money, we encountered a heroin addict in our favourite coffee shop who brazenly told my daughter she was hungry and wanted MONEY. My daughter gave her the death stare and shook her head severely so she wandered off and asked another couple. Three hours later she was strolling around the Lafayette shopping mall doing the same thing in the lovely Italian restaurant there.
If you love shopping, do not miss the Lafayette mall as it is really lovely.

Room Tip: It is in a quiet side street so any room would be fine.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family