“Worth a try”

Ranked #427 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Worth a try”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I was apprehensive about staying here after reading so many bad reviews but my experience as a single female traveller was mostly good. Maybe I was just lucky with my room but it was spacious and clean and quiet on a higher floor. Outside the hotel looks a little rough as does a lot of Berlin but it is good location for shops, bars, trains both to airport and getting around berlin..Maybe it is noisier in the summer as I stayed in April. I do agree that the staff were unfriendly but I didnt have much need to talk to them..

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank nickyns

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Malmo, Sweden
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I stayed at Hotel Friedrichshain for 2 nights. I chose it because it is very close to Astra club and other clubs in Friedrichshain.
I had a standard single room at the 4th floor of the building.
Wi-fi won't work over the 2nd floor, so I had to stay in the hot spot area to be able to use it.
I didn't try the breakfast service.
The staff was ok, in particular Christian, one of the guys at the reception, he was very professional and efficient.
All the cafe, food stores and other kind of stores nearby the hotel are very useful. It takes 5 min walk from the hotel to reach the S-Bahn Warschauer, which I found to be the best way to reach most places in the city.
The room was very clean. I'd definitely recommend this hotel to travelers in Berlin.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Italian-lilla
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Great location for transportation. Area a little rough around the edges but dont let that put you off. I was a little worried about what I might find looking at some reviews, but all was good.me and my wife stayed in room 202 very spacious, clean bedding! Good walk in shower with plenty of room.wifi was a bit on/off.the rest off our party( 3 lads in there 20s )stayed in room 53 with shared shared bathroom typical hostel type room more than enough room to crash after a concert.also had clean bedding and had a tidy decor. Had breakfast on one occasion, which was ok.staff was very helpful.

Room Tip: Room 202 plenty of space but view from room looked over the car park and office block
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank John C
Tampere, Finland
Reviewed 25 July 2013

If you want to stay in friedrichshain then this is in a good place to go around. Place was clean, nice looking and big rooms. Only downside was that pillow wasn´t good, but thats not so big problem and our room was REALLY hot, but it was +30 when we were there..
Staff could have been better, but we don´t mind since we only sleep in the hotel, so we are looking for more interaction with the locals then hotel staff. I´d choose again this place. But it´s for persons who want to stay in friedrichshain, not everybody enjoys this part of city.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank timasa
Genoa, Italy
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Esperienza pessima purtroppo. Bagno sporco dal primo giorno, sapone non aggiunto se non dopo richieste esplicite con cartelli piazati in ogni posto possibile della stanza. Purtroppo la mia prenotazione non e' stata diretta, ma tramite un gestore di coupons "volaregratis". Appena mi sono accorto che la matrimoniale in hotel 3 stelle era una camera doppia in un ostello con bagno in comune ho iniziato a contattare UN MESE PRIMA DI PARTIRE, l'ostello, i gestori di volaregratis e il sito expedia che mi ha inviato i documenti. IN NESSUN MODO MI HANNO PERMESSO DI CAMBIARE LA CAMERA ANCHE A FRONTE DI RICHIESTE DA UN MESE PRIMA DELLA PARTENZA. Appena arrivato all'ostello ho chiesto di persona di essere sistemato in una matrimoniale con bagno in camera, che mi hanno detto essere ancora disponibile ma dal giorno dopo a quello dell'arrivo, per il tempo di permanenza (altre 2 notti). Il giorno in cui mi avevano promesso il cambio, mi hanno detto che le camere non erano piu' disponibili.
Insomma personale per nulla disponibile, bagno sporco, doccia rotta, gestione sapone inesistente, e il bagno in comune vuol dire che ognuno entra in una sorta di stanza comune per due stanze da due letti e per queste due stanze c'e' un unico bagno. Se vi prenotano una stanza matrimoniale in questo "ostello" e siete una coppia, vi consiglio vivamente di considerare persi quei soldi e prenotarvi una sistemazione piu' civile da un'altra parte. A dimenticavo, l'unica chiave della camera che vi danno apre TUTTE LE PORTE, cioe' ad iiziare dal portone dell'ostello, alla porta dell'anticamera col bagno in comune, fino alla porta della stanza numerata.
ASSOLUTAMENTE DA EVITARE.

Bad experience unfortunately. Dirty bathroom on the first day (BEFORE MY ARRIVE), soap is not added until after explicit requests with signs placed in every possible place in the room. Unfortunately my booking was not direct, but through the coupons handler "volaregratis." As soon as I realized that the bed in the 3-star hotel was a double room in a hostel with shared bathroom I started contacting ONE MONTH BEFORE LEAVING, the hostel, the managers of volaregratis, expedia (the site that sent me documents) . IN NO WAY I HAVE PERMISSION TO CHANGE THE CAMERA EVEN IN THE FACE OF REQUESTS FROM ONE MONTH BEFORE TO DEPARTURE. Just arrived at the hostel I asked the person to change the room with a double bedroom with bathroom in the room, that they told me to be still available, but only starting the day after my arrival till to the rest of my residence time (other 2 nights). The day I had promised change, they told me that the rooms were no longer 'available.
In short, personal was not kind at all, the bathroom was dirty , the shower broken , soap management not-existent, and "shared bathroom" mean that everyone enters into a sort of common room for two rooms with two beds each and for these two rooms there is a single bathroom. If you book a double room in this "hostel" and you are a couple, I recommend you consider lost that money spent for this accommodation and book for a more civil place somewhere else. To not forget, the only room key that will give you opens all doors , starting from the front door of the hostel, the door of the antechamber with shared bathroom till to the door of the your numbered room .
ABSOLUTELY TO AVOID.

Room Tip: bagni sporchi e docce rotte /dirty bathrooms and showers damaged
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Volagratis

Travellers are raving about these Berlin hotels

Valby, Denmark
Reviewed 26 May 2013

I got an amazing deal on a single room here last week, paying only 100 Euros for 3 nights. I had a private room with private bath, and free Wifi.

The Wifi was sometimes patchy, and admittedly the bedding in my room leaved a bit to be desired, as there was only one limp pillow and a very thin narrow duvet. Also strange was the electricity, or lack of lighting in the elevator and corridors. But other than that, I can't fault the hotel, which was quiet and 2 blocks from the S and U Bahn. Another plus is of course its location in the uber-trendy Friedrichshain neighborhood.

One other negative: they insist you pay cash for the bill. I'm not sure what the problem is with credit cards in Berlin or Germany, but you will find this is a rather common predicament. Luckily there's a nearby cash point, but it's still annoying in this day and age!

I'd definitely return if I got the same rate!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank MissJibba
Reviewed 13 October 2012

Ive been making my way around europe staying in hostels and cheaper hotels. I dont need much and Im not fussy and Im no fanatical, picky, whinger.

But having said that, this place is a dump. Its in a grubby neighbourhood that some reviewers have indicated is charming. Its not. Its just grubby. The staff dont really speak english, no do they have to I suppose, and they were nice enough in their way, but they make little to no effort to be of any assistance. When i got to my room it was the size of a large shoebox, which again, doesnt worry me, but my bedlinen was a pillow and childs quilt that smelt a little too much like vomit. My window opened onto a courtyard, the building has a hollow centre, so car doors slamming, people playing music in their cars, people walking through and talking, and some ignorant and ill mannered spanish guy yapping on his mobile for about 50 minutes at 11pm, all echoed and amplified up through the courtyard. I was on the 3rd floor. Closing your window and the threatbare curtain made no difference. Breakfast was ok, public transport wasnt too far away, but seriously....after the second night i was happy to forgo the other two nights I had booked for and crossed town to stay at the Berlin Plaza Hotel, which is about the same price in a much nicer neighbourhood close to everything and with a room that is worth your money.
Honestly, do not choose this joint.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo