“beware of illegal service charge”
Review of Gambrinus

Gambrinus
Ranked #982 of 8,447 Restaurants in Berlin
Cuisines: German
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Mitte
Wroclaw, Poland
“beware of illegal service charge”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Food was alright, but far from impressive, however slightly overpriced by Berlin standards. The surprise came with the bill, where a 6 euro service charge was applied (our bill was 48 euros). Very smartly just written in the middle of the bill (obviously just hand-written piece of paper) making difficult to notice. I have ordered in German, but we where obviously foreigners, so they have thought it was alright to rip us off this way. When I have inquired at our waitress and mentioned that as far as I knew, service has to be included in the price in Germany, and also there's no service charge is mentioned on the menu (it is actually quite the opposite - service is included as I have checked it afterwards on their website) she said that it is her boss' decision to charge customers and we have to pay it. I have told her that I also work in a restaurant in Germany and have a slight knowledge how things are here, and I have intended to give her a 10% tip which I will still do so I pay 52 euros instead of the 54 on the bill. She has taken a the money and told us 'viel spass' with a lot of sarcasm in it..Obviously I will not return to this restaurant.

• Visited April 2014

• Greek first
“Good dinner in Mitte”
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

Friendly service, the waitress speak good English and make good recommendations for local food. Reasonable waiting time and delicious food

Novi Sad, Serbia
“Genuine German food”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We discovered this restaurant by pure chance, it was a rainy night and we were looking for another place that we found in a guide book when we saw Gambrinus sign.It was full and crowd seemed to have more locals then tourists so we decided to try it. The food was genuine German kitchen, well sized portions and very reasonable prices considering that it is in a heart of Berlin. In next few days we tried almost everything from a local menu and everything was very nice. Note that it is not seasoned and has no tasty souses, just plain pork with side dishes, but that is what we expected and looked for in a first place. The apple pie is excellent, but we had to wait for this a bit longer when we came in the afternoon. They did not accept the credit card payment and that is the only real remark I have.

• Visited September 2013
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Totally disappointing”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We chanced across Gambrinus and ventured in hoping for some delicious, hearty German food.

It disappointed on almost every level. Service was slow and inattentive and the food was really not good. Everyone's meal was sub-par and not at all what you would hope for from a restaurant. This is not somewhere I'd ever return to and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It really did feel like nothing but a tourist trap.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Paul_Allister
London
“Good Food and very welcoming”
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

We passed this restaurant and decided to take a chance and we were glad that we did. The food was very good and reasonably priced and we were made to feel very welcome. They even had there own house beer which was good!

Visited February 2014