“Terrible service”

Gambrinus
Ranked #974 of 8,394 Restaurants in Berlin
Cuisines: German, European, Central European
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Mitte
“Terrible service”
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Let me start with the good things: the schnitzel my wife and I ordered was nice and the portion size was good. But the service was terrible! It took more than half an hour to take the food out. Another couple who came a few minuts after we were seated got their order before us. When we ask the waitress what's going on with our order she murmured "2 minuts" without even looking at us. 10 minuts later we got our food. The schnitzel was good, but the fries were reheated and dry. Poor experience.

• Greek first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Traditional German with friendly welcome”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Very warm welcome from staff who made every effort to get us a table. Good explanation of menus and food available. No chicken dishes & few fish/veggie choices, but.... hey thats traditional German food, so no complaints !! Decent value for money.

Visited May 2014
Wroclaw, Poland
“beware of illegal service charge”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Food was alright, but far from impressive, however slightly overpriced by Berlin standards. The surprise came with the bill, where a 6 euro service charge was applied (our bill was 48 euros). Very smartly just written in the middle of the bill (obviously just hand-written piece of paper) making difficult to notice. I have ordered in German, but we where obviously foreigners, so they have thought it was alright to rip us off this way. When I have inquired at our waitress and mentioned that as far as I knew, service has to be included in the price in Germany, and also there's no service charge is mentioned on the menu (it is actually quite the opposite - service is included as I have checked it afterwards on their website) she said that it is her boss' decision to charge customers and we have to pay it. I have told her that I also work in a restaurant in Germany and have a slight knowledge how things are here, and I have intended to give her a 10% tip which I will still do so I pay 52 euros instead of the 54 on the bill. She has taken a the money and told us 'viel spass' with a lot of sarcasm in it..Obviously I will not return to this restaurant.

• Visited April 2014
“Good dinner in Mitte”
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

Friendly service, the waitress speak good English and make good recommendations for local food. Reasonable waiting time and delicious food

Novi Sad, Serbia
“Genuine German food”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We discovered this restaurant by pure chance, it was a rainy night and we were looking for another place that we found in a guide book when we saw Gambrinus sign.It was full and crowd seemed to have more locals then tourists so we decided to try it. The food was genuine German kitchen, well sized portions and very reasonable prices considering that it is in a heart of Berlin. In next few days we tried almost everything from a local menu and everything was very nice. Note that it is not seasoned and has no tasty souses, just plain pork with side dishes, but that is what we expected and looked for in a first place. The apple pie is excellent, but we had to wait for this a bit longer when we came in the afternoon. They did not accept the credit card payment and that is the only real remark I have.

• Visited September 2013