“Heather, you are a very talented historian and knowledgeable tour guide!”

Original Berlin Walks
US$16.76*
Berlin's Infamous Third Reich Sites Half-Day Walking Tour
Ranked #4 of 387 Tours in Berlin
More attraction details
Owner description: Original Berlin Walks offers a variety of walking tours covering all sides of Berlin's history; from our 'all in one' Discover Berlin tour, to tour focusing on the Berlin Wall and the Nazi past, to whole day excursions such as Potsdam or the Sachsenhausen Conctentration Camp Memorial Site, if you want to learn about Berlin's past, then we're the people you need.
Reviewed 13 June 2009

My son and I visited Berlin last week for the second time. We decided on a recommendation from a friend to do the Third Reich walking tour. It was a dreadful day to do a walking tour but I dont think I noticed the weather too much as our tour guide Heather was amazing. She is a mine of information and boy, does she know her stuff. She had with her a series of pictures showing where the most important buildings during the Nazi era were located. We were then able to place them in relation to where we were standing. The information provided by Heather was related in such a way that we were totally spellbound. (if that is an appropriate use of a word in relation to such a tragic period of history) We went from station to station visiting the various points of interest. The last stop was at Hitler's bunker, a totally nondescript piece of land which is marked in a very appropriate manner with only a small hoarding showing the lay out . In relation to the large and impressive Holocaust memorial nearby, both landmarks speak for themselves.
The tour was a touching and informative end to three fabulous days in Berlin. To the Canadian girls on the tour and the very pleasant air force guy, it was lovely to meet you. To Heather, thank you for a great ending to a wonderful trip to a city I have grown to love.

5  Thank minniemoo

Reviewed 27 May 2009

only had two days in Berlin.other trip advisors had given good reviews for this company. they were right. we joined the city tour.it started at 10.30 and the guide didn't stop till 2.40.what a day. we saw all the sights and it helped to orient yourself in the city.. i would strongly recommend you do this trip as soon as you get there. the guide brought history alive and was obviously very passionate about Berlins history and his job. everyone on the tour enjoyed the day, there was a nice amount of people on it,not overcrowded and you could hear everything he said as he spoke clear English. the cost was 12euros but worth more.
the second day we did the Jewish tour.this proved to be a bit of a disappointment after the first tour and would have been a hard act to follow. it was ok but not a patch on the Berlin city tour,saying that we still enjoyed it but didn't rate it as highly. they also do a trip to the concentration camp which given more time i would have done.the feed back from that tour was mixed.

4  Thank bankrupt2
Reviewed 26 May 2009

I just got back from Berlin this weekend! I found the tour through Expedia and really didn't know what I was getting into, but I definitely love the idea that I went with it. On Saturday, we went on the Walking Tour with Gigi. I admire the tour guides for their dedication!! She knew so much! She explained IN DETAIL everything in our route through city. She went into detail in every stop. My husband, who isn't a cultural bug, was so fascinated by what she was saying. I LOVED IT! She even offered to help us after the tour to direct us to our destination afterwards. I do recommend to take comfy shoes, since you will be walking at a fast pace and through so much. Also, put sunblock on!! I came back so sunburned its unbelievable! Caps & Cameras are a must!!! I also recommend to take the Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp Memorial Tour with the Walking Tours also. We went with Jakob to this memorial tour & absolutely loved it! This tour is longer and walking is more but it is worth it if you don't have time or money to go to Poland to visit Auschwitz.

I am grateful for their dedication to information!! If I was in the Berlin area anytime soon again, I would definitely do the other tours they offer!!!!

1  Thank worldlytaste
Reviewed 6 May 2009

Made a trip up to Berlin from Dresden last weekend. I knew I wanted to take a walking tou but I was a bit overwhelmed by the choice on offer. In the end I chose the bright blue company Original Berlin Walks mainly because their presentation seemed to appeal to a more information-hungry, adult type of crowd. I took the main sights Discover Berlin tour on the Saturday and found the guide (Torben) totally engaging. He was highly articulate, amusing, tolerant of the group's questions and inspired me to learn more about Berlin's fascinating history. I had toyed with taking a tour to Potsdam on the Sunday and went ahead with it after this experience. I've always wanted to see where the post-World War 2 Stalin-Roosevelt-Churchill conference was held. So, I can highly recommend this tour too which gives you the chance to visit Cecilienhof (scene of the conference). Our guide, Heather, seemed to me rather young but, so did Torben! Must be getting old!! This was another excellent experience. I so enjoyed the intimate atmosphere of these tours, the chance to converse with a real expert and to enjoy the company of like-minded tourists. Both tours met outside the main entrance to the railway station named Bahnhof Zoologischer Garten. I bought my tickets just before the tour but I believe you can get discounted tickets until the end of May if you buy them on the website.

1  Thank hoppysophie
Reviewed 12 January 2009

We took the tour on a very cold 13th December with Sarah. We picked the tour up at Hackescher Markt s-bahn and seeing as we came straight from the airport we were a few minutes late. No problem, the ticket seller was still there and we were able to catch up to the group.

Our guide was Sarah. She was lively, informative and happy to answer questions. We walked all over the city and Sarah helped us to understand the different periods in Berlin's history (pre-War, WW1, Wehrmacht, Third Reich, Cold War, post 1989).

We stopped for a very welcome hot drink (and loo break) half-way at Brandenburg Gate.

Our group consisted of about 15 people, all over about 25 years old, and Sarah kept the pace just right so that no-one was getting left behind. We stopped at many locations and never felt like cattle being corralled.

This is the first city tour we have ever taken in our years of travelling. We are usually DIY people but seeing as we had limited time we thought the tour would help us see the highlights so we could choose what to go back to visit in more depth. It certainly met our expectations. We would absolutely recommend this tour.

By the way, we saw a few Brewer's tour groups whilst we were in Berlin. They were all huge groups and the people on the tour were really quite young. As a quite grumpy middle aged couple we were pleased we decided on the pay tour rather than the free Brewers. I don't think we would have liked being herded around.

Our trip report here: http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/mattallydodd/2/1222185840/tpod.html

1  Thank tkdally