“Fascinating enough to keep you interested at -9 degrees C!”

Original Berlin Walks
US$19.97*
Discover Potsdam Walking Tour
Ranked #4 of 378 Tours in Berlin
More attraction details
Owner description: Original Berlin Walks offers a variety of walking tours covering all sides of Berlin's history; from our 'all in one' Discover Berlin tour, to tour focusing on the Berlin Wall and the Nazi past, to whole day excursions such as Potsdam or the Sachsenhausen Conctentration Camp Memorial Site, if you want to learn about Berlin's past, then we're the people you need.
London
“Fascinating enough to keep you interested at -9 degrees C!”
Reviewed 17 January 2011

Just a brief review to say that Original Berlin Walks are a brilliant way to find out an incredible amount about a fantastic city. I'm told that all their guides are excellent (they're all students or post-grads specialising in subjects with a strong connection to the city) but I would find it difficult to imagine any better than our guide, Jim.

These guys aren't reading from a script, they really know their material and relish the opportunity to be challenged with questions from the (usually ideally sized) group.

Can't think of any better way to get a introduction to Berlin.

Visited December 2010

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fantastic guide!”
Reviewed 16 January 2011

I went on a original Berlin walk yesterday and last night with Jim and it was amazing! So informative! Jim was a fantastic guide who made me fall in love with German history. A must do for any traveler to Berlin! Thanks for a great overview Jim!

Melbourne, Australia
“Amazing walk through Berlin history”
Reviewed 13 January 2011

My husband and I and two teenagers aged 14 and 16 joined one of the Original Berlin Walks on a cold January morning, the streets full of fresh snow. Our guide Jim was very knowledgeable and informative but also engaging and interesting as he brought the history of Berlin alive to all of us. It was well worth the time and money and I would highly recommend it. The tour helped us to get our bearings in Berlin, provide a basis for further exploration and above all, a sense of what the city has lived through. Thank you Jim!

Visited January 2011
West Yorkshire, England
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“These guys know their stuff!”
Reviewed 13 January 2011

There are numerous trip companies in Berlin. Some are patently gimmicky, jogging for heaven's sake!, but if you want serious in-depth background knowledge you need somebody like these people. I did a tour in October 2009 and as a history graduate was really impressed with the quality of the guide. Thanks Heather! Just had a quick trip to see the Hitler and the Germans exhibition and went on the same tour with Jim. Same result. He really knew his stuff, especially his specialist area on the Third Reich. The history of Berlin is so rich and complex you need a guide of high quality, not someone who has learnt a script and can't give a knowledgeable response to the inevitable questions. My future son-in-law was also on the trip. He is a serious historian, recent Oxford graduate, brain the size of a planet and he really enjoyed it. Excellent value as well, especially if you get a Berlin Welcome Card. Go for it!

Visited January 2011
Berlin, Germany
“Information awesomeness”
Reviewed 12 January 2011

I was hesitant to shell out money for a tour because I had read that there were many free tours available. But after looking in our guide book (by Rick Steves, who was really hit or miss but dead on for this tour), it was highly recommended, so we decided to give it a go.

Our guide was Jim from the US—Minnesota or Wisconsin. He was extremely knowledgeable and very affable. He had an energetic, booming voice that gave life to the history that he had clearly immersed himself in. He took us on a three and half hour tour that covered the big hits (e.g. Nazis, Hitler's bunker, and the Berlin Wall) but also the pre-World War history which was even more interesting—maybe because it was so unexpected. I forgot that Germany actually had kings (or kaisers). He did a nice little tour of German history before he began as well.

It was a lot of information to process but it did not overwhelm you. It was at times very emotional because of the history, but It was great introduction to the city from a guide who knew his stuff forwards and backwards. After the tour was over, I was still thinking about what we had seen. The streets felt different afterwards. I highly recommend it.

Visited November 2010