Inn-Berlin
US$144
All reviewstrain stationhostelfridgeneighborhoodbakery
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 May 2013

I enjoyed my weekend here. Staff are friendly, facilities are basic but it is clean and cosy. If you just want somewhere to crash whilst exploring Berlin, this is petectly fine. The place is a hostel, so don't forget that if large groups of young travellers are not your cup of tea. But I stayed in an en suite private room and had no problems at all during my stay noise wise. The area is not exactly the most salubrious in Berlin, but it's pretty easy to get around on he nearby u and s bahn.

Room Tip: My room was very close to reception and my wifi reception was perfect
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank mattypn
Reviewed 20 April 2013

What a great stay. I traveled with a group of 11 people and Inn-Berlin was the right choice. The service was excellent. They are ready to tell you how to get around the city and give recommendations on places to eat in the neighborhood or a couple U-Bahn stops away. The price for the different rooms was nice, and they had accommodations for a couple people (just 2) and for more of our travelers (5 in a room). I never had a problem with hallway noise or people hanging out in the common room. If you are looking for a kitchen with a hostel, this place works. There is a grocery store not even 5 minutes walk from the hostel entrance. There is enough cookware to cook for any size group, and a refrigerator to keep leftovers.

You might not be in the middle of the city, but you are in the middle of a neighborhood. If being a temporary local appeals to you, consider Inn-Berlin. It is maybe a 10 minute walk to either the S-Bahn or U-Bahn, and you pass stores and restaurants. Easy connections get you around Berlin quickly.

In short:
The pros: The staff, the price, the feeling of making it home away from home.
The cons: None really, unless you absolutely are not a hostel person.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I was nervous at first when I found out we'd be staying in a hostel. But those nerves were put at ease as soon as I met Rolf and saw my accommodations at the Inn-Berlin. Our room was cleaned each day, there was a nice common area, and it felt like all of the different groups there became somewhat one big community. Loved this place for all of its charm. If I ever go back to Berlin, I will definitely seek out the Inn-Berlin. It's in a great neighborhood with charming surroundings, and I would love to go back some day with warm memories of this place.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jeff C
Reviewed 9 February 2013

If, like me, you regard a hotel as somewhere to sleep and have breakfast and nothing more, and you are on a budget, this place will suit you fine.
Getting there from Tegel Airport is easy, following the directions on the website (and definitely much cheaper than a taxi).
I stayed for 4 nights and paid in cash on arrival, which gave me a 10% discount. 4 nights cost me 172 euro, which is good.
The hotel is small and located on the 1st floor with a lift. To get in, you are faced with a metal door which looks like it doesn't lead anywhere, but when you ring the bell they open from inside.
The hotel is situated within a few minutes walk of the S Bahn, buses and trams, which is important in Berlin as you will use public transport a lot.
I was greeted by Ralf, who promptly sat me down with a coffee and gave me a long and detailed explanation with a map about where to go and what to do and how to get there.I got the map as a gift from him and made use of it frequently.
The room (a single) was adequate, and fairly large as single rooms go. Plenty of cupboard space, a private shower and bathroom, and a fairly comfortable bed. The room has central heating which works well and in spite of the freezing cold and snow outside, it was very warm. The shower had plenty of hot water all day.
The room does not include breakfast. In the season (Summer) they provide breakfast for a small fee, I think about 3.50 euro, and also whilst I was there in February, they did do breakfast on the weekend when there were plenty of guests: juice, breakfast cereal, eggs, rolls, etc. There is a fully equipped kitchen which is very useful, as you can do your shopping at the Penny supermarket round the corner and prepare your own food. Even when they don't provide breakfast, they do provide milk, orange juice, coffee, tea, all day. The kitchen has a "leftover food" fridge, where people leave anything they haven't finished and you can use whatever you find. Much better than throwing it out.
There is a central dining/sitting room which apart from being used for dining also has a small library where people leave books they have finished reading and can freely take any other books they find there (there was a good selection in many languages).
There are umbrellas available which you can use and return later.
The staff (I met Ralf and Jenny) are very helpful and friendly and are usually around from around 8 am till around 7 pm, after which time there is a mobile phone to call someone in emergencies.
Summary:
- THE GOOD...
Close to public transport, friendly staff, adequate and clean rooms, good facilitties for preparing food, free WIFI, 2 free PC's to use, one with a Skype phone attached
- THE NOT SO GOOD....
Wifi internet is available, but it is not a very strong signal. The further you are from the office the lower the signal. I was in room 10, couldn't use the internet at all so went to the dining room and connected my laptop there with no problem. Get a room with a low number if you can, they are closer to the office where the internet router is.
Shower head in the room neded changing in my opinion, not exactly a good stream of water. Pressure was OK but some of the holes in the shower head seemed to be blocked and the stream of water was rather irregular. Not a serious setback but should be seen to. The plughole in the shower and the sink also need cleaning. Water departs much slower than it arrives.....
No TV or telephone in the room, Actually no TV anywhere. Makes a change, but at least a TV in the dining room would have been a plus.

BOTTOM LINE
Basically a good place to stay if you don't need the frills. Excellent value for the price. Keep up the good work guys, but pay attention to the small details.

Room Tip: Low numbers have better Wifi reception
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Eric_B_7
Reviewed 28 January 2013

We initially booked for 4 nights and were happy with the location and facilities, so we ended up staying for two weeks!! It was easy to find with the directions provided by staff upon booking (train and bus instructions). Everything you need is within walking distance, shops, restaurants, takeaway places, plus public transport! It was a little far from the city centre but you can get anywhere with the train/bus systems, so that wasn't a problem at all. The surrounding neighbourhood was very safe, even after a few drinks in the city on weekends.

Ralph (owner), was more than accommodating, he knows everything there is to know about Berlin, and went out of his way to help us with our sightseeing plans and told us which tours were best! Really down to earth and always up for a chat!! Staff were all polite and helpful, they enjoy their work!

The hostel facilities were amazing! Everything was clean and really well maintained. Bathrooms, common room, kitchens and rooms were all cleaned daily. Rooms were spacious, lockers and wardrobes available for each person in dorms. There is a fully equipped kitchen, everything was easy to use and there was always plenty of plates, cutlery, pots and pans available. It was very quite at night, great for getting your beauty sleep!! =)

Highly recommend Inn-Berlin to anyone visiting Berlin, I know I will be back!! Thanks again to Ralph! Keep up the great work!! =)

Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple