“Dirty room and one rude staff member”

MEININGER Hotel Berlin Alexanderplatz
Ranked #59 of 351 Speciality Lodging in Berlin
“Dirty room and one rude staff member”
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

We had a tree person room but got a dorm for six. Bunk beds and everything. Found those maggots which like moist places in the floor at night, disgusting! One staff member was pretty rude, we felt like we diaturbed her webhopping when we asked if she could make us a reservation. Other staff members were great. Hotel had a nice location, Prentzlauerberg was gorgeous!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
MEININGERHotels, Front Office Manager at MEININGER Hotel Berlin Alexanderplatz, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear Guest!
We are terrible sorry about your bad experience in our house. Unfortunately we were sold out that time and we had no triple-bed-room avaiable. We are very sorry about our rude staff member. Usually all our employees are friendly and helpfull within all guest matters.
Maybe you will give us a second chanceand we are lokking forward to welcome you again in our house.
Kind regards
Yours MEININGER-Team Berlin Alexanderplatz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brasilia, DF
Reviewed 24 April 2014

I really liked my experience at the Meininger Hotel. It is extremely well located, close to downtown with the subway right in front of it. One must keep in mind that it is a mix of hotel and hostel, which means that it is frequented by many young adults. I would recommend a double superior for individual use where you will even get a balcony overlooking the city. The doors are very heavy and the sleep quality was excellent. The price at 40 Euros was unbeatable.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Meininger H, Reception at MEININGER Hotel Berlin Alexanderplatz, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Berlin visitor,

Thank you so much for your friendly review and that you have taken your time for a feedback.
Yes, in our houses we welcome all kind of guests. We do not want to exclude travelers, groups, or business people.
Due to our central location in the middle of Berlin East we house a number of young people, that want to enjoy Berlin.

Thus we are glad that you have had a good time staying with us and hope to welcome you as our guest again.

MEININGER
Portland, OR
Reviewed 21 April 2014

The Meininger is a big hostel with some private rooms that have private bathrooms. I stayed in a private (double room used by one person) and didn’t use any of the “hostel features” of the Meininger at all. The hostel is on a busy street at the southern part of the Prenzlauer Berg district. I had originally planned to stay four nights but wound up checking out after the first night (see below).

My room was on the second floor (in Europe, the lobby floor is “zero floor” so I was two floors up). I was not far from the elevator and stairs, at the end of the floor, and I heard a lot of noise occasionally at night/in the early morning probably from the stairs - the noise woke me up a few times. It is a hostel, after all, where you might expect more young people coming and going at odd hours, so I wasn’t surprised but still annoyed. Just realize, if you are treating the Meininger as a hotel it may be a little louder than you’d normally expect. The window in my room when closed blocked out most of the noise from the street but not all - it is a pretty busy street.

The room was clean. The bed has a thin mattress, not awful but not all that comfortable. The bathroom was a conventional bathroom with a shower, actually not that small (but the room was fairly small). The shower (no timer on mine, like someone in another review mentioned) had great water pressure and the water temperature was hot in the morning. There was a “shower gel dispenser” for the shower and a soap dispenser the sink as I recall.

You can buy bottled water and cold drinks in the lobby for prices that didn’t seem too expensive.

WiFi is unsecured but with type-in passwords (entered on first web page you visit) - you get temporary passwords (one for each device) in the lobby, one slip of paper for each device, good for five days. The WiFi signal was excellent in my room. However, their firewall blocked my VPN and I was unable to connect to it; I wound up using my phone’s slow 2G data to tether my laptop instead - at least I could use my VPN that way. Unsecured WiFi makes you more vulnerable to wireless snooping; WiFi that is “secured” (need a password to connect at all) is much safer from snooping. A VPN makes you even more secure, and if you connect to a VPN back to the US sites like Google etc. will think you are in the US and not always send you to German-language landing pages. This was the only hotel in Germany I stayed at where I was unable to use my VPN with the WiFi.

The woman who checked me in helpfully offered to sell me a Berlin “Welcome Card” - unlimited transit plus museum discounts. I asked for one with all three Berlin zones (ABC) so I could go to Potsdam one day, but she didn’t seem to have them (you can buy the ABC Welcome Card elsewhere). The ABC 72 hour card, had she had it, cost only 2 Euros more than the AB zone card. She said I could simply buy an extension ticket for the C zone for the day I’d go to Potsdam, so I just bought the AB card she had. But she was wrong - the “Welcome Card” web page clearly states that you can’t buy an extension ticket for the Welcome card. So that cost me an extra 7 Euros because I had to buy an ABC day pass for the day I visited Potsdam. I’m lucky I didn’t just blindly follow her advance and get caught on the train without the right ticket or I could have received a stuff fine from a transit inspector.

On the upside, she did recommend a great pizza place very close to the Meininger.

I checked out after one night instead of staying all four nights (you pre-pay for your nights when you check-in; I had two separate reservations and had paid for only the first night). The Meininger wasn’t awful by any means; maybe I could have asked for another room away from the stairs that would have been quieter, but I felt it was overpriced anyway. I wound up getting a 4-star hotel on Priceline for the same price I was paying here, close to the Brandberg Gate and Unter den Liden. The Meininger may be in the “hip” Prenzlauer Berg area of Berlin, but that still turned out not to be convenient for me or very important. The Meininger is very close to a U-2 (subway) stop and is even walkable to Alexanderplatz (I walked from the train station to the Meininger in 15 minutes with bags), but I still felt it further from the main sites of Berlin than I cared to be. I also had an early plane to catch the final morning out of Tegel airport, and early morning transit connections to TXL were complicated at that hour, even though there was a U-2 stop right out front of the Meininger.

Room Tip: Try to get a room not close to the stairs (so not as noisy as my room was)
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Meininger H, Manager at MEININGER Hotel Berlin Alexanderplatz, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Dear guest,

thank you very much for detailed review. Your Feedback was very comprehensive and give us the change to enhance our service and our technical devices.
It happens not as often, that guests take their time to report everything in detail about their stay and our house.
Our house, like many other hotels, have daly rates and no fixed prices. That could be the reason for a higher price for your room.
We hope that you have contacted our staff with all your worries and problems, that we have had the chance for appologies, assistance and change. We could have find you a quieter room, if it would have been available.
Even if you had a number of things to complain about, we still hope, that we can welcome you again in one of our houses.

MEININGER
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Travelled November 2012 but better late than never! ...

We requested a room with three single beds but were placed in a room with three bunk beds. It was a very small room for three females and three bunk beds. We had to change the same sheet twice and resorted to spreading our personal clothing over the pillows. Bathroom facilities were average. It was more of a Hostel than a Hotel.
We surely got what we paid for.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Meininger H, Manager at MEININGER Hotel Berlin Alexanderplatz, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Keesha,

thank you very much for your late feedback. We are sorry that your stay was not as good as it should.
It's too bad that we couldn't treat you with the bigger room.
Generally, we are putting a lot of emphasis on making sure that our customers needs are
being fulfilled.
May we could prove it to you another time.

Kind regards,

Travellers are raving about these Berlin hotels

Sassari, Italy
Reviewed 17 April 2014

The hostel is really well located and one of the best i've never been. The rooms are always clean and organized, with bathroom inside. There'n no breakfast included but a really good service option or a guest kitchen you always can use. Around the hostel, you can find a lot of restaurants and a lot of options of transport: it's near to the subway, bus and trains.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear guest!
We'd like to thank you very much for your positive feedback and your good review for our house. The meaning of our guests is very important for us, because it helps us to develope our services. And maybe you will book a further reservation, than don't forget to make that inclusive breakfast.
We hope to see you soon here in our house and our neighborhood.
Kind regards
Yours MEININGER-Team Berlin Alexanderplatz
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Booked a room for two of us and ended up with a four bed room so we had plenty of space. Was nice and sunny and warm. Staff were friendly and I'd say I had one of the better coffees in Europe there.

Bathroom was clean and a good size. The shower was on a timer which was a bit annoying as you had to keep pressing it but at least it didn't stop!

Whilst I didn't need to use the kitchen, I did use the washing machine and I thought the cost to use was quite high(4 or 5 Euro from memory). Being non German speaking, I didn't know how to read the instructions and in my haste to get the washing done, it ended up on the hottest longest wash and as the coins must set it on a timer, the time ran out before the washing finished so I ended up with a soggy pile. I did go and discuss with reception, and they sorted it out for me which was good. The washing machine is in the kitchen and the kitchen is underground and it did seem smelly and greasy and in need of a good clean.

Location of the Hotel was very good, just by the railway station and there is a supermarket next door.

We didn't purchase breakfast while we were there. Free wifi is available but this wasn't very reliable and you often had to be down in the reception area to get it.

Would happily recommend as somewhere reasonable priced to stay in Berlin.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear MataiWest,

Thanks for your detailed feedback and that you share your positive feedback with world.
We would like to apologize for the issue you had with the washing machine.
This give us the reason to make the direction for use of the washing maschine also in English.
Hope we can host you again here in the Meininger Prenzlauer Berg,

Kind reagrds,
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Stayed in a double private room. Clean, modern and comfortable with lots of natural light. Daily cleaning service too! Coffee bar downstairs is a plus. Only downside would be the shares kitchen isn't cleaned enough, but then again, it's nice to have a kitchen....just could be cleaned daily! I give an "excellent" cleanliness rating because the room was immaculate.
We would stay again. Recommended.

Room Tip: Try to get a top floor streetside-- great views!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Meininger H, Manager at MEININGER Hotel Berlin Alexanderplatz, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear Meininger guest,

Thanks for your nice review and sharing your experience.
We are really happy to hear that nearly everything was perfect. Our staff always try to keep the guest kitchen clean as possible and also request our guest to clean there things after using it, unfortunately it's not always working perfect.

We hope to see you next time again in Berlin.