“Excellent base in Berlin”

Ranked #13 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Our family of four recently stayed at the Adina Checkpoint Charlie. It was our first time in Berlin. The hotel is very clean and in a location that gives easy access to the U Bahn as well as Potsdammer Platz and other shopping areas. The adjoining one-bedroom suites that we had were roomy and spotless. Breakfast in the in-house restaurant was also very good. The hotel also has a very nice indoor heated pool. Our lack of German was not a problem. If you are looking for a comfortable, affordable base in Berlin, particularly with a family, this would be hard to beat.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SQ226
ClaudiaAnderle, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Berlin Checkpoint Charlie, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Dear SQ226,
Thank you so much for sharing your experiences which will be without a doubt helpful to other travellers. It is a pleasure to read your family had a great stay – our apartments with fully equipped kitchens, laundry facilities and most of all the space we offer are just perfect for families. We really hope to welcome you back if your travel paths may lead you to Berlin again! Or perhaps to one of our other wonderful destinations in Australia, New Zealand and Europe?
Take care and all the best from Berlin to Down Under,
Adina Apartment Hotel Berlin Checkpoint Charlie

Write a ReviewReviews (3,065)

Reviewed 15 January 2014

I stayed at the Adina for just over a week in January. It was a last-minute trip, and I booked it because the private apartment I usually stay in wasn't available. I was encouraged by all the good reviews, but even so I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. I don't think I would now want to stay anywhere else.

I won't repeat what so many others have said regarding the Adina's rooms, amenities, facilities, and staff: the praise is all accurate, and even if my expectations had been higher, they would have been exceeded. The website photos don't do the rooms or the public areas and pool and spa facilities justice.

The many complaints about wifi are incomprehensible to me: for a small charge (maximum €14.25 for 24 hours) you can have unlimited use of your devices in your room throughout your stay, which seems perfectly reasonable; and connection is quick, easy, and reliable.

The only small missing thing I can think of that would be nice to have, is an iPod dock in the room.

Several people have said that Stadtmitte is the nearest u-bahn. It isn't. Spittelmarkt and Hausvogteiplatz are both nearer.

Finally, I want to make a point of the staff's ability to respond in an emergency. Unfortunately I had one: a freak accident in my room that resulted in a nasty head wound. Within 3 minutes of my calling Reception, a hotel first-aider arrived to help, followed 2 minutes later by a team of paramedics who treated me and whisked me off to the Charite to be stitched up. It was all dealt with so efficiently and reassuringly that it neither impinged on my time in Berlin, or affected my stay at the Adina: after a good sleep (the beds and bedding are extremely comfortable!) I carried on enjoying it all thoroughly.

The folllowing day there was a Get Well note in my room from Claudia Anderle, the hotel manager, and a box of chocolates.

What more could one possibly ask of a hotel? It's a super place.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Alabastron

Dear Alabastron,
thank you so much for posting your kind words here on Tripadvisor. I am so proud about my team and the way they dealt with the situation – they always strive to achieve the best standards and guest service! At times there are situations when things go wrong and we believe that the way we are addressing those situations – with passion, dedication, practical knowledge and expertise – make a difference! We are really looking forward to welcoming you soon back and next time, with some more chocolates but without the incidient :)
Warmest regards from everybody here at Adina Checkpoint Charlie,

Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

This is a very pleasant apartment at a good price and well appointed. Staff are pleasant although give some confusing advice at times. We put that down to language issues. Location is very good with close access to the museum at Checkpoint Charlie. I would give it a higher score except the IT geeks have made it such that you need a PHD to tune the TV and you need to renew your access code every hour for free Wifi. They must give out a hundred new codes a day and it is only available in the lobby! For a hotel of this rank you would expect it free in room but in room it is charged.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Brian T,
Thank you so much for sharing your experiences here on Tripadvisor. We are happy to read you enjoyed your stay and we would be happy to welcome you back at the hotel. Thank you also for your feedback regarding the WiFi handling. We have forwarded this to the Internet provider company. We wish you all the best for the future!
Kind regards,

Reviewed 11 January 2014

I stayed at the Adina back in Sept and cannot believe I forgot to review this hotel. I simply couldn't have asked for any more. We paid £100 with breakfast, so whilst it was pricey we got our money worth for sure! Room was beautiful and spacious with living room space, comfy bed, 2 TV's and a fully equipped kitchen (more appliances than I have at home!).

The hotel is set back off the main road but we had no problem walking back and forth late at night. Plenty of restaurants a short distance away. Hotel is centrally located for all tourist spots such as checkpoint Charlie, Brandenburg gate, Jewish museum etc. We walked everywhere, but for those who would prefer the metro then it's only a short walk away.

Berlin is a fantastic city I would love to visit again, and I would stay at the Adina without hesitation. Thank you for a lovely stay!.

Room Tip: If I was impressed by the standard rooms then god knows what the expensive rooms would have been lik...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Natalie B

Dear Natalie B,
I'm also very pleased that you have found our hotel to be so well maintained, comfortable and in a great location. It would be a pleasure to welcome you at the hotel again and will endeavour to ensure that your next visit will be as enjoyable as the one that you have described above.
Best regards from Berlin,

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
ClaudiaAnderle, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Berlin Checkpoint Charlie, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2014

Reviewed 5 January 2014

This is one of the best hotels in which I have stayed. It was in an excellent, quiet, yet safe and central location. There is a subway stop and grocery store nearby. The hotel was very clean and the studio apartment was very spacious. It met all of our needs. At Christmas time, little touches like trays of candy throughout the hotel and a personalized note in our room were very nice. We had a courtyard facing room and it was nice to have big windows that opened up to allow in fresh air while we were cooking. If we return to Berlin, this will definitely be the place we will choose again. The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. I had trouble with a train ticket and the lady at the desk helped me to print it out. They gave us directions, maps, etc. I highly recommend this hotel.

Dear Meghan B,
Thank you so much for your very nice feedback. We are all very happy that your visit to Berlin was such a great experience, also because of our hotel.I'm also very pleased that you have acknowledged both our team and the facilities in such a nice way. I know our entire team will be delighted about your feedback which I will personally with all departments. Feedback like yours makes us very proud.
We are looking forward to welcoming you at our hotel again.