“Fantastic Hotel in a Fantastic City. Book it now....”

Adina Apartment Hotel Berlin Checkpoint Charlie
Ranked #15 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 31 March 2010

Me and my girlfriend have just returned from a 4 night stay at the Adina Apartment Hotel Checkpoint Charlie.

We arrived at Tegel Airport and took the TXL bus to Unter Den Linden/Friedrichstrasse (2 .10 Euros each) and the hopped in a taxi to the hotel (about 5 Euros).

The Hotel itself is situated in the old East Berlin, a stones throw from Checkpoint Charlie, a 5 minute walk to the Gendarmenmarkt and a 15 minute walk to the Brandenburg Gate. Although on first impressions the area seems quite run down, a quick walk around will soon allay that fear, the look being more about redevlopment that anything else.

The Hotel itself is fantastic. On arrival we were given the key to our studio apartment. We had asked for a room on a high quiet floor and had been given a room on the ground floor overlooking the private Courtyard. We had asked for a high quiet room as we were concerned that the Hotel may get noisy in the evenings so we asked to be moved. The Hotel were glad to accomodate us and moved us to the top floor and upgraded us to a one bedroom apartment. The room itself was superb and we were glad of the upgrade (although the studio would have been adequate I would strongly recommend the one or two bedroom apartments). A small kitchen and lounge area with all the facilities you would need for a stay away, including dishasher and washing machine/tumble dryer with all cutlery etc, a large bathroom and bedroom with a safe for valuables.

We needn't have worried about noise from the Hotel as despite it being full of guests we didn't hear a noise during all our stay.

The leisure facilities we had to ourselves every time we went. There is a nice pool (about 10/15 Metres and made of stainless steel but perfect for lengths), Jacuzzi and Sauna with a reasonably well equipped gym.

The staff were superb and the hotel bar and food perfectly reaosnable, although a steak can be quite priced at 24 Euros.

The Hotel itself is absolutely spotless, as is Berlin as a whole.

In short this is an absolutely superb hotel and a fantastically located base to explore Berlin from. In our opinion the old East Side is by far the best side.

We bought a Step by Step guide to Berlin, which gives 14 walks around Berlin and it turned out to be a very good purchase, shpowing us parts of Berlin we would not otherwise have seen.

In short if you are thinking about going to Berlin then do not hesitate to do so. It is a beautiful, historic place.

If you are looking for a quality hotel to stay in Berlin then look no further than the Adina and boook it.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AdoptedGeordie
Write a ReviewReviews (3,125)

Reviewed 11 March 2010

My friends and I stayed here for 3 nights and the whole experience was excellent. The one roomed apartments were clean, modern and equipped with everything you would need. The breakfast was very good with a wide choice and the staff were attentive. Happy hour in the bar was a bonus! We eat one evening meal and it was very good and better than some of the other meals we had. Berlin was as good as I had been led to expect and the location of this Australian hotel near checkpoint charlie was convenient. We had an excellent rate due to my friend finding a deal but I would have paid more for the stay.
On a less positive note the single beds duvets were a little small and the bar shut at midnight which was unusual we thought.
But all in all I can recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 February 2010

My friend and I stayed in a 1-bedroom apartment. The apartments were spacious and comfortable. We had a balcony and lots of windows. We enjoyed staying in this part of Berlin for two nights. We moved to a different part of the city after two nights as Berlin is really spread out. A good location easily accessible to trains. The restaurant and bar were good as well. Breakfast (buffet) was a pretty nice spread!! There's even a nice pool and jacuzzi! I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jen31373
Reviewed 27 February 2010

I booked this hotel on the positive reviews on here and here's a brief itinery of our trip. We flew with Ryan Air as their flights had good arrival and departure times for us from Edinburgh Airport and a reasonable price as well. We left on schedule and everything was good apart from the annoying tannoys every 5 minutes with some sort of sales pitch from the stewardess/ steward trying to sell everything from scratch cards to a device that smokers could use as a substitute for tobacco. I am a smoker myself but I can survive a couple of hrs without the need to spark up.

We arrived at Adina Apartments @ 11.00am and from the outside the hotel looked very nice. Upon arriving at the front desk we were greeted by a smiling receptionist welcoming us to their hotel. Check-in was swift and our room was ready, so we headed straight up.

Accomodation:
It was a nice suprise to see that we were upgraged to a 1 Bedroom as I booked a Studio Apartment. The apartment was very clean, also nice and warm on a cold Feb day. Like previous posts describe, all utensils are there including restocking of dishwasher tablets and washing up liquid. Not to sure if they supply washing powder as we didn't require it. There is also wall mounted flat screens in the livingroom and bedroom. The only downside to that was there is only 1 Brittish channel "BBC World News". But for all the time we were in the apartment that was not a problem.

Restaurant:
We decided to eat here as this was the first night and I'm glad we did. Our meal was well presented and tasted fantastic. We sat down at our table and we were greeted by a very friendly & enthusiatic waitress called Yvonne. For starters/ Tapas I ordered Bruchetta with Parma Ham & Salad and my wife had Currywerst, which is sliced German pork Sausage drizzled with a sweet,slightly spiced curry sauce and thin fries. As we placed our starters we were given a plate of french bread and bowl of olive oil infused with chilli (MMMmmm). Next our main meal arrived which was Kangaroo Steak and Avocado and sliced Chillis. I have never tried Kangaroo before and found it to be fairly tender with a slight taste of Lamb, but very nice it was. My wife opted for Buffalo Steak with marinated Baby Onions & Sauted Potatos, Red Wine Jus. The steak was cooked to perfection. We never tried any sweets as we were too full. In the last post the author described the service slow. There were a few people eating at the same time as ourselves and everybody was catered for. We ate at the hotels restaurant a couple of times and found it to be a good experience. The prices were slightly higher than highstreet restaurants but remember it's a apartments come hotel facilties.

On our 2nd day we decided to go down to the pool area @ 4.00pm. At this time it was really quiet and had the whole place to ourselves. The gym is huge and has all equipment that a serious fitnress fanatic would require. The pool is slightly cold but when you get swimming you soon warm up. We also used the spa bath... wow, the jets are so powerfull that it gives you a really good massage. You can also request bathrobes from reception to use in the pool area.

As I mentioned before we were greeted by Yvonne who runs the restaurant. We cannot fault her in anything she does. We mentioned to her that we would like to do some shopping but found Designer labels more expensive than UK. Off she went and came back with shopping centres on the outskirts of Berlin and directions on how to get there with all the train & bus numbers. May I say this was in between serving at the bar and being aware of customers needs. 5 stars to you.

Overall we really liked this hotel and will definitely be back but next time with our children and we also met some very nice people staying there. On our last we met Bridgett Nielson (Sly Stalones ex wife) who checked in to the Ardina. Very Nice Lady.

3  Thank icehoose
Reviewed 26 February 2010

Stayed here for 3 nights after being unable to book into the Circus and I must admit I am really glad I booked here (not to say the Circus isn't good). It is only a two minute walk,if that, from Spittlemarkte station. I had booked a studio apartment and we were upgraded to a one bedroom apartment which was lovely, spacious and even had a dishwasher!! All rooms seem to have a balcony which I'd expect is excellent in summer. I would definetly recommend it for families as there is everything a family may need (washing machine, cooker etc). The pool was far too cold for me to use but it was good to have. The staff were friendly, however we found the service in the bar / restaurant very slow. It isn't that far from Checkpoint Charlie etc and the underground system is so easy to use. There is an Irish bar nearby, found this extremely handy when it got to minus 6. I would recommend BrewersBerlin Tours, only 12 euros for a 6 hours walking tour and extremely interesting. He recommended the German Historical Museum and this too was excellent at only 6 euros, spent a very long time in here and failed to visit all the exhibitions.

3  Thank JenVAyr
Reviewed 19 February 2010

We found the Adina a perfect base for exploring the museums and other main sights in the city. We arrived at about 10 pm and ate in the restaurant on the first night. Eating out was not a problem though and we enjoyed exploring the local restaurants of which there are plenty. There's even a Lidl supermarket a very short walk away where we bought our breakfast stuff from, as we had a 1 bedroom apartment. I can't fault the friendliness of the reception staff. The apartment was spotless and well equipped. The swimming pool, gym and sauna were also very good. I can't wait to go back!

2  Thank SJC363
Reviewed 8 February 2010

As already said,great value,and super self catering facilities.we had a studio (this doesn't have washing machine or dishwasher btw).One of the nicest hotel experiences

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple