“Fabulous hotel with first class service”

Adina Apartment Hotel Berlin Checkpoint Charlie
Ranked #14 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
London
“Fabulous hotel with first class service”
Reviewed 8 February 2011

My partner and I stayed here for five nights during the first week of February. The hotel is well situated for Berlin's museums and galleries and is only five minutes walk from the underground. We arrived early but were able to check in even though the advertised check in time is 2pm. The reception staff were all really helpful and had a high standard of English (compared to my mediocre German!).

We stayed in a one bed apartment, which was a great size and very stylish. The hotel is in a boutique, modern style with lots of home comforts. There was a king size bed, flat screen TV in both the sitting room and bedroom, CD/MP3/Tuner plus a kitchenette with all the requisite equipment and utensils. You have to pay for internet access but I didn't think that was necessarily a bad thing. I work in digital media and spend my life on the internet so it was great to have an enforced break from it. We only connected on one evening in order to check out museums and galleries on the web.

We used the pool/spa facilities on most evenings and found them to be very clean with plenty of robes and towels to hand. The sauna is a good size but wasn't busy anyway. Like the previous visitors, we also encountered the naked man but we are pretty free and easy about these things. I kept my bikini on but would have happily discarded it if there were others going down that route :-). As it was, we didn't encounter anyone else in the sauna during our stay so I wasn't sure what the accepted protocol was! We did read about a popular sauna in Berlin where it was compulsory to go naked so I don't think it's such a big deal in Germany. I actually think that's a good thing and personally wouldn't have felt threatened had I been alone in there (I'm female). There's even a section in the DDR museum that deals with the appeal of nude bathing in Berlin.

The pool and spa pool were not busy but it was February after all. It might get a bit packed in the high season as the pool isn't that big. Also, there were very young children in there on one occasion so it was a little noisy and not relaxing. It would be great if it could be restricted to adults in the evening so it's more of a chill out space after a busy day of sightseeing. We are runners but decided to leave our trainers at home so didn't use the gym facilities. However, the gym looked very well equipped and wasn't busy at all.

We ate twice in the restaurant, which was quiet due to the time of year. The service again was fabulous with friendly staff on both occasions. I had both pasta dishes, which were very tasty and my partner had the Aussie burger, which certainly was a feast! There were good Aussie wines to be had also due to the hotel group's Australian connections. The only criticism of the menu would be that there was only one vegetarian dish and it wasn't obvious from the menu that it was veggie. If you love meat, you'll be at home with the menu though. The desserts were very good too, which was true of all the desserts we had whilst in Berlin.

We ate breakfast in our room most mornings, except for a rather fantastic breakfast in Gendarmenmarkt one day. We were able to purchase all we needed from the minimarket along Krausenstrasse or from the Lidl on the next street. Neither offer a particularly extensive range but are adequate for basics. It was great to have a leisurely start to each day before we set out around the city.

I would highly recommend this hotel and thought it was great value for money. It was my second time in Berlin, the first time being in the early 90s so it has obviously changed quite a lot! It really is an amazing city and my partner who was there for the first time loved it. We'll definitely be returning soon and will probably stay at the new Adina Hackescher Markt hotel to experience a bit more of that district.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gekko21

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 February 2011

I went to Berlin with my boyfriend to scope out the city for a potential job offer that I had. I had never been to Germany before, much less Berlin, and decided to stay in the part of the city known as Mitte - which is pretty much the center of town. Upon first glance, this hotel is located in a somewhat dodgy looking area (we arrived on a dreary rain soaked and incredibly windy day in February) but after wandering around a bit we discovered it was a quick walk to the UBahn (Subway) - about 5 minutes to the U2 or U6 line, and that it is also right near one of the big shopping streets, Freidrichstrasse (only about 5 minutes til you hit the street.) So while it seemed at first not to have too much around, it was not so far away from some more lively places.

The hotel itself was beautiful. For about $130 a night we stayed in a HUGE room with a king sized bed and plenty of space to walk. The bathroom has a nice heated towel rack and a big tub, (I took a bath, which was great!) There was plenty of room for us both, and the little kitchenette was nice for storing some snacks and beer. I was disappointed there was no free internet in the room, or WiFi in the lobby - but they did have a computer for guests use 24/7. (I still think free WiFi in the lobby would be better, but did use the lobby computer more than a few times to look up directions or addresses, etc.)

We also used the pool/jacuzzi facilities. The pool is rather small, but functional for swimming laps, and also a really nice touch in the middle of a city to have an indoor pool! The jacuzzi, again, was relatively small (I was in there with 3-4 strangers and there weren't enough hot bubbles to make the fact you were bathing with random people less obvious...) but it was nice to have as well. Then we were able to use the dry sauna which hit about 90 C (194 F) so it is not for the faint of heart! Again, it was so relaxing to sit in there after a long day of walking around. And the gym equipment, which I did not use, looked brand new and in really good condition.

We had only one incident while staying at the hotel, which was infuriating to me, but the hotel did make up for it as quickly as possible. We had the DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door to which I heard knocking on the door at 9:30 on Sunday morning and then heard the handle turn and the door open. I had to run up to the door to slam it shut before putting on a towel and checking to see who it was, "Housekeeping". I yelled that we had the Do Not Disturb Sign on the door for a reason and he apologized and quickly left. I told the front desk what happened and they were apologetic and when we came home later that night they had left us a bowl of fruit and two drink vouchers offering their apologies for the incident. This is does not affect my thoughts on the hotel, but I do think they might want to consider adding an additional lock that only the guest inside the room is able to open, because I felt uneasy that the do not disturb was not being respected by all staff, even when we were out of the room.

Overall, we were very pleased with this hotel and were happy to come home and relax after a long day.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pamanda
Leicestershire
Reviewed 6 February 2011

My girlfiend and I have just returned from a 3 night city break staying at the Adina Checkpoint Charlie Hotel.
Upon arrival we couldn't help but admire the cleanliness of the building and its overall appearance.
The reception staff, willing, friendly with a real 'go-the-extra-mile' attitude.
Refreshing to say the least.
We were rewarded with a free room upgrade after stating it was our first trip to Berlin and our first stay at an Adina Hotel. Nice.
Suffice to say everything about the stay was brilliant.
Food, staff, swimming pool, sauna, the rooms. We simplty couldn't fault the Adina.
Weirdly whilst in the Sauna (wearing shorts and my girlfiend bikini) we were joined by a native German completely naked!
Good grief!
Now we're not sure if this is normal in a mixed sex sauna but it was extremely off putting.
Said gentleman then lay down his towel next to us and lay upon it with everything on display.
Feeling slightly weird we left pronto.
I should have enquired at the hotel desk if this was 'normal' perhaps someone can enlighten us?
As a pair of level-headed 30 something we laughed out loud after the event.
But still, had it been just my girlffriend in there or any single female for that matter they probably wouldn't want to be joined by a male naked stranger, bits a'flapping!
Anyway we loved the Adina Checkpoint Charlie hotel, just remember to be extra friendly at the reception desk to gain a free room upgrade!

: )

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Row_Mel
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 January 2011

My wife and I were visiting Berlin for the first time, accompanied by our (adult) daughter. Accordingly, we had booked a 2-bedroom apartment at the Adina at Checkpoint Charlie for four nights through Hotels.com. On arrival we found the hotel had no record of our reservation and they did not have an empty 2-bedroom apartment. But no problem ... they happily gave us 2 x one bedroom apartments adjacent to each other, which proved to be even more comfortable for the three of us than the 2-bedder would have been. Nor were they fussed about the lack of (pre-paid) booking: "Don't worry, we'll sort it out with Hotels.com.". Which they did! I must congratulate the staff for being so obliging.
The hotel is in a good location ... walking distance to many of the sights and with easy access to the U-bahn.
And for Aussies like us ... the hotel is Australian owned ... there are photos of Sydney and aboriginal art on the walls and plenty of Aussie wine in the restaurant.
If we ever go back to Berlin we will head straight back to the Adina.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 20 January 2011

The Adina hotel at checkpoint charlie is all you need. a great hotel in a very good location.
just couple of minuteד from the U station, and all the buses u need. the room is amazing. you got inside all you need for a very comfortable staying.
the location is also close to the main streets, but its located in a quiet street in a good neighborhood.
we will be happy to come back again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 14 January 2011

Our family of 4 stayed at the Adina Checkpoint Charlie for 3 nights in a 2-bedroom apartment. The Adina is set up as a hotel (with lobby, restaurant and reception) but the rooms are like apartments with a kitchen, living room, washer/dryer, and in our case, 2 bedrooms and 2 full bathrooms. This arrangement is great for families wanting the best of both worlds. On the plus side, the rooms are modern, comfortable and spacious. There is a small indoor pool in the basement (also an exercise room, sauna and lukewarm jacuzzi). The location is very good...there is a metro station about a 3-minute walk away and it is also a very short walk to the Brandenburg Gate and Unter der Linden. An adequate if not overly impressive breakfast buffet is offered for 15 Euros/person. The hotel staff was (eventually) accommodating, if not particularly warm. And now for the minuses...speaking of warmth, the first apartment we were given had no working central heating, which we only discovered after unpacking the first night. We were initially told by the hotel employee sent up to check on the heat that it should come on in awhile and to be patient. When this didn't occur, we called the front desk again and were told that a space heater could be brought up and maintenance would look into the problem in the morning but that there were no other rooms to move us into at the moment. Since there was already a space heater sitting in the hallway of the apartment, it seemed like management was probably aware of this problem already. The temps were in the teens and it was obvious to us that a space heater wasn't going to be adequate to heat 2 bedrooms. it took another phone call (in which we had to voice our displeasure with the situation more forcefully) to get our room switched to another (which was identical to the one we were leaving except the central heat worked). We were brought the new keys, but there was no offer to help move our bags to the new room or any apology for the inconvenience. We also learned that the wifi service, which cost 15 Euros/Day, only covered one connection per room, so a family like ours with 3 laptops between us (I know, excessive perhaps but we were traveling with a 20 and 17-year old) had to share online time. The other hotels we stayed in during this trip offered free wifi with no limitations. So the bottom line here is that I would recommend the Adina to a family or group of travelers looking for that hard-to-find combination apartment/hotel in a very good Berlin location. BUT, I also feel the Adina could provide better service and amentiies to its guests.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Australia
Reviewed 9 January 2011

Spacious and clean hotel, close to three supermarkets, main drag at Friedrichstrasse, 20min walk from Museum Island and close to bus/train. Staff were polite and helpful, offering an instant upgrade to a 1 bedroom apartment on arrival. Also very helpful whilst we were stuck there during the pre-Christmas snow lock-down enroute to London. The 1 bedroom apartments are large and comfortable with fridge and dishwasher, washer/dryer and all cooking utensils.
The free internet access on the lobby computer could be improved. The 60min limit for each user made it a bit awkward for making bookings etc, especially when teenage Facebookers were online. A 20min limit per user would perhaps be more appropriate, so that Facebooking, travel and business email could all be achieved without too much waiting. Another thing that could be improved is the pool area which had coin-operated lockers (this was inconvenient) and had a very limited number of towels.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business