“Wonderful gastronomic attraction”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Prenzlauer Berg
Reviewed 11 July 2012

There is no cool interior, cool terrace, no air condition in a small room of 10 tables, and the terrace is just 5-6 tables outside on the street. No great view or something like that: it's not a glamour reastaurant, it's s small gastronomic place for the people, who would like only to eat wonderful french food and great wine, and be warmly served by few people, who is the fun of their work. Just relax, take the menu set and the wine, that recommends your waiter.

Reviewed 8 July 2012 via mobile

I've been here twice including Christmases eve. On my new trip I desided to take my wife here and it was the same excellent result. Yes it's prissy. But it's worth every euro. Better eat one time in Bandol than 3 times some 3rd rate sudoVietnamese Berlin food. The service is way ahead tipical berlin snobbish anarchistic usual attitude.

2  Thank Stefan K
Reviewed 2 June 2012

I really dislike giving bad reviews to a restaurant, after all the owners and chef do not want to serve people bad food. However, there's a lot of hype about this place in Berlin and I don't know why. They do a highly stylized food presentation, with a fixed menu of small courses. We are real foodies and yes we are picky. I found the food overwrought, not flavorful, kind of weird, and very expensive. They have set dinner times so we could not get in until 9pm. At 11:45 I just wanted to go back to my hotel and go to sleep! The restaurant was not particularly crowded, but it was a long night with spotty service. To their credit they have a wine list with wide-ranging prices. We ordered a lower priced wine and it was just plain lousy. I had the "fish menu" and my spouse had the "meat" menu. My fish courses were small pieces, all artfully arranged, but tasteless . The meat course was marginally better. So, it was a disappointment all around. Until they get their act together, I would suggest someplace else.

2  Thank JacksonHoleSkiier
Reviewed 29 April 2012 via mobile

Our friend who we were staying with recommended this restaurant for my birthday dinner and we were not disappointed. The restaurant itself is very retro and unlike any I've been in before in terms of size and decor. Only a very few tables to necessary to book in advance.

We went for the taster menu and it was exsquisite - wonderful combinations of food that worked perfectly. Great service, good atmosphere. All in all a great evening.

Reviewed 6 December 2011

Exactly one year previously I'd enjoyed one of the best dinners of my life here, so I wanted to return and reveal this find to my wife. The food was outstanding, no doubt about that, and the remarkable, quirky atmosphere in this tiny 22 seat place is undeniable. But I need to tell you about the difference a staff member can make in such a small place. Last year a delightful young lady guided us through the meal. This year, I rang up two weeks early to make sure of a reservation in such a small place. A brusque male voice took the reservation. The day before our dinner, something made me call to confirm. It was the young lady from last year. She was very pleasant but could not find a reservation in our name. But after consulting someone else she confirmed we'd be OK for the 9.00 sitting.
But she wasn't there on the night. We walked in, to be told by a short stocky bloke to come back in five minutes because he had to rearrange tables. When i asked him where he thought we should go, he could hardly be bothered to shrug. So we stood outside in the cold and rain for five minutes feeling pretty stupid, before he unsmilingly and unapologetically allowed us in. He served us. I had the suspicion he might be the owner, because he spoke with authority about the food, but he was very pushy and absolutely not friendly at all. He asked after each course if we'd enjoyed it, but I had the strong feeling he was eliciting praise rather than really caring if we'd enjoyed it. If we (and others) turned down his suggestion of champagne or a digestif, he marched off with the hump. The food was great, but even at the end, when, attempting to convey appreciation, I told him that the dishes seemed to be more creative than when I came last year, his reply was "yes, we get better all the time". Well, the prices go up with the creativity. €150 for two, including just three 0.1 glasses of wine between two. If the nice lady had been serving us I'm sure I would have said it was all good value. But his manner and attitude spoilt it. I go on about it at length, because i so wanted my wife to also feel she'd had one of the best meals of her life. But neither of us felt that. All because of a bloke with an attitude. Go, by all means, but double check your reservation, and if the girl answers, ask her if she's working that night.

3  Thank RHPrague