“My first fine dining experience in Berlin will be hard to beat.”
Review of Bandol

Bandol
Ranked #2,306 of 9,193 Restaurants in Berlin
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Prenzlauer Berg
Reviewed 15 March 2013

This restaurant is a favourite of my daughter so when I visited she wanted to share it with me.
Service-I am surprised at some of the reviews as I found the service from "the bloke" was exceptional. The menu was explained clearly, his manner was friendly and he was exceptionally knowledgeable about the wines.
Food was brilliant. The portions were smallish but when having 4 courses I don't want a huge serve. Quality rather than quality. I have not found the portion size smaller than the ones in better restaurants in Melbourne. The matching wines were perfect but they also were flexible to account for personal tastes.
I found the value good. For the quality, €84 for predinner champagne, four courses and 4 wines would be hard to match in Australia. I loved it and would go back in a minute.

Reviewed 5 October 2012

After four visits over three years to this tiny quirky restaurant the food only gets better, yes it has a certain industrial unfinished look to it, but the food is amazing, having eaten at many Michelin restaurants this really should be in the list, but hey if that we're the case you would never get a table. The service when we visited was excellent, our German is not but the staff made us feel extremely welcomed and explained every intricacy of the food and accompanying wine choices in perfect English! Smart it may not be but intimate it is, compared to what you would be charged in a Michelin restaurant in London or France for this standard of food it's actually good value for money (not cheap but for the work involved accurately priced). Don't miss out!

Reviewed 3 October 2012

On the same evening as we were made to feel unwelcome at "3 Minutes sur Meer" (see my review if you wish), we were lucky enough to get a table straight away at Bandol's.

I cannot confirm the negative impression others had about the service, but I must also say we were served by the lovely lady rather than by the so much criticised bloke who also works there. She patiently presented all courses both in German and English (one of us is not fluent in German) and we felt no pressure whatsoever to order a full menue.

The way food is presented has changed very much compared to the previous times we visited; the quality is still very high, however the portions have significatively shrunk to resemble a sort of "nouvelle cuisine" style. The prices are, nevertheless, still "big" despite the smaller size! Perhaps since their next door's "3 Minutes" is doing solid bistrot-style food, they felt like they had to make a radical style change to differenciate their offer from their neighbour's (the two restaurants are owned by the same people).

We all went for a starter and a main course and were quite pleased. I found my fois gras and homemade brioche excellent; I can't say the same about the veil tongue, but it is just a matter of taste. I did not like how it was cooked, still it was a skillfully prepared dish.

All in all a very nice evening; do go to Bandol...at least if the lovely lady is around!

Reviewed 26 September 2012

This was recommended to us by Soho House where we were staying and it was a small, hip place with an intimate but laid back atmosphere.

The food was good, a little fussy and very small portions but it tasted nice and there were some unusual food combinations which worked well.

It is however very expensive for what you get. You can order a la carte but a lot of pressure was put on us to order the full set menu and expensive wine was recommended. We were surprised that the glass of champagne we were offered as we sat down was charged to us at €15 each.

The service we received from the waiter (the stocky man described in a previous review) was dreadful. He put a lot of pressure on us to order the full set menu, recommended very expensive (€80+) bottles of wine only and when we only wanted a glass of wine was very haughty and unfriendly. When my other half left a small piece of cheese on his plate the waiter asked "did you not like that?" in an accusatory tone which made us feel embarrassed.

The grand finale of terrible service came when, at the end of an ok meal spoiled by the waiter, he presented us with the bill saying loudly "service is NOT included". We almost laughed it was so unbelievable. Needless to say, we didn't leave a tip.

Such a shame because this place could be great despite the high prices if the service was anything other than outright rude.

1  Thank 4MR
Reviewed 11 July 2012

There is no cool interior, cool terrace, no air condition in a small room of 10 tables, and the terrace is just 5-6 tables outside on the street. No great view or something like that: it's not a glamour reastaurant, it's s small gastronomic place for the people, who would like only to eat wonderful french food and great wine, and be warmly served by few people, who is the fun of their work. Just relax, take the menu set and the wine, that recommends your waiter.