“Bare minimum but sufficient and friendly staff”

Holiday Inn Express Berlin City Centre-West
Ranked #169 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Andorra la Vella, Andorra
“Bare minimum but sufficient and friendly staff”
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Being spoiled by frequent visits to the upper end of the Hotel Group's family of properties I am trying hard to look at this place objectively.

This is a budget hotel which offers all you need to comfortably spend a short time. Don't expect a wardrobe with doors, an in-room safe or individual toiletries.

This said the room and the property were kept very clean and nicely maintained. There was a problem with hot water becoming unavailable for the entire hotel. The management said that the hot water system would be repaired by a certain time and it was done as promised. The staff had a can-do attitude and accommodated my strange requests such as two extra duvets (which I used as a mattress cover to soften the mattress and cushion the springs I could feel in the mattress.)

All room rates - as I understand it - include a continental breakfast. Make sure you arrive early. The food is replenished but it may be a bit crowded if you wait until after 09:30am.

Overall it is a nice hotel; the staff is quite attentive, friendly and professional.

Location wise this hotel is in a good neighbourhood. It is close to the zoo and the Wittenbergplatz underground station. Also within a short walking distance are good restaurants, Asian massage places (hey...the serious stuff, reflexology, Thai, deep tissue, shiatsu) and the Largest department store in continental Europe, the KaDeWe. (second in Europe after Harrod's in London)

Hope you can take some pointers from this review. Enjoy your visit to Berlin.

Room Tip: If you ask for the rooms 18, 19 and 20 on each floor they may be quieter as they are in a back appen...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank canandorra
BERCW, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Berlin City Centre-West, responded to this review, 15 February 2014
Dear Canandorra,

Thanks so much for your kind review. We work very hard every day to enhance your experience as our guest.
I'm very proud that we left good memories although we had challenges with our heating system and warm water that day.
We would be honored to welcome you again in the future and remain

With kind regards
Guest Service Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reykjavik, Iceland
Reviewed 2 February 2014

First time I stayed in this hotel was in summer 2010, my husband and I loved everything about it,except the mosquitoes bites we got, but it was probably due to the hot summer days. Last January I had another chance to visit Berlin again, and I had nothing else in mind of where should I stay except HIE Berlin City Centre West. I booked through their website to started collecting my points. It's still reasonable price and I was sure what to expect, good clean room with spotless bathroom, coffee/tea making facility, comfortable bed, no mosquitoes this time ;), breakfast included, good location that I feel familiar with. WiFi was still not free like in most hotels I stayed during this trip, but 5 euros for 24 hours internet connection was fine with me. A staff helped me book a taxi to the main train station early in the morning. I checked out before the restaurant open for breakfast, the staff at the reception offered me hot tea and croissant if I want but unfortunately the taxi had arrived to pick me up.

Room Tip: I think it doesn't matter which room you are in, so far I enjoyed my stay in both twin and doubl...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank DenLilleHavrue
Dear DenLilleHavrne,

we are honored that we could be your host again.
Thank you very very much- and remember: all good things come in threes!

Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Super clean, great breakfast and friendly staff.

The only negative point is the lack of any decent english language TV station.
Also the room I stayed in had a door into the adjacent room which I didn't like

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ldeayton
Dear Ideayton,

thank you for your comment here on Tripadvisor,
Let us know when we may be your host again and we'll block a room that will be best for your needs and preferences!

With warm Regards
Lucerne, Switzerland
Reviewed 5 January 2014

It was a good decision we stayed there. Location is great, there's bus and Subway close to it, hotel is comfortable, room was clean, breakfast is alright, we slept tight, although next time we're going to reserve a bigger room with a bigger bed. Personal is friendly.
We went for a city trip, so we found here everything we needed.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pataswiss
BERCW, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Berlin City Centre-West, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear Pataswiss,

thank you very much for your comment.
We are glad that you had a good time by exploring Germany's Capital.
I'm sure you came home with a lot of impressions and hope that we may host you again for your next trip.

North Wales
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We went to Berlin for 4 days for my birthday around Easter time. We wanted something fairly cheap and cheerful and got more than we bargained for with this hotel. Location was great - a 5 min walk into the busy shopping area of the city and 10 min walk to the train station (passing the zoo on the way!). There was so much to do in the city, we were constantly busy! Probably the best city break we've had and the cheapest and we were really impressed with this hotel for the price we paid. Staff were friendly, there was a quiet bar downstairs for an evening drink before heading out - drinks were expensive there but are in all hotels. I'd stay here again!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Liverpoollayd_23,

It sounds like you had a wonderful time and received excellent service in our hotel. Thanks again and we look forward to hosting you again.

Burnley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We stayed 18-22 Dec for the Christmas Markets. Easy to get to from Schönefeld Airport using the airport express train to Zoologischer Garten (€3.50 ish per person) and then a €6 taxi to the hotel. Tax I direct from airport would cost approx. €40.

Staff always friendly and happy to help with any questions we had.

Room was small but had everything we need - the room was like new.

The hotel has a few restaurants on the street and a Netto minimart to buy water etc. We only had a couple of pizzas which were good from Hallo Pizza on the corner so cannot comment on the restaurants

The hotel is a 5-10 min walk to the nearest underground which itself is on a busy shopping street inc KaDeWe department store. You can walk from the KaDeWe through Christmas markets/shops all the way to the next bigger station (Zoologischer Garten).

Public transport is cheap and efficient (trains were usually early and never late) and all landmarks are next to a station.

Complimentary breakfast was more than satisfactory - croissants, cereals, toast, fruit, cold meats, different drinks etc.

Berlin is a great place to visit especially at Christmas - highly recommend this hotel!!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Geek_Squad15
Dear Greek_Squad15,

thank you for your lovely words here on Tripadvisor.
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences while you were staying with us.
We are so glad that we lived up to your expectations.

The team and I hope to welcome you again.

Sincere regards
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 1 January 2014

This hotel offers so much! Upon an early arrival, staff was very kind and made every effort to get us into the room. Everything about this hotel was very nice. The room and the rest of the hotel was always immaculately clean. I really liked the bathroom. The door could not only close normally, but it would also swing so that the toilet area was closed, allowing others to use the remaining part of the bathroom. How convenient! Three of us stayed in the room, so the sofa couch was always open. It left very little room for navigating around the room. We would not recommend it for three people. Breakfasts at the buffet were absolutely wonderful with a great variety of foods. The breakfast area was spacious making for an enjoyable meal. In the evening, there was a little bar area to enjoy reasonably priced drinks, and the lobby was a peaceful place to sit and read a book or to use the computer. While I wouldn't recommend using this hotel for three adults in a room, all in all, this hotel was very nice - staff, room, cleanliness, breakfast, and bar.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear RussandAnne,

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your experience with us! I have already passed along your compliments to our staff members. We love our work here, and there's nothing we enjoy more than making every guest's experience one to remember.

Again, thank you for choosing our hotel!