“Nice hostel”

Ranked #61 of 344 Speciality Lodging in Berlin
Perth, Australia
“Nice hostel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Very well located hostel in Friedrichstaine. The hostel was nice and clean, with a nice lounge area and big kitchen. The vibe was a little strange though, we were there for 2 nights, and did not meet many people to go and eat dinner or have drinks with. Maybe this is because there are no ‘organised’ events in the evenings, or that the hostel does not like alcohol to be brought in, but charges 2euro for a 0.5L beer, maybe letting people bring in their own alcohol would help the vibe. The bathrooms were nice and clean, would recommend to stay here.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Dunedin, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

As a starry-eyed New Zealander, I booked 3 nights accomodation here for a quick stay in Berlin. First person I met was Barbara, who had plenty of great advice for stuff to check out. This hostel was clean and the beds were comfortable. The only thing I will say is that the bedding is a little complicated to set up if you are extremely intoxicated... Overall this place is convenient, has free internet and Wi-Fi and is close to the U-bahn, banks, Rossmann, bookshops, everything, not to mention all the great people I met along the way. I would not hesitate booking there again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Very friendly staff. Very clean.The area is full of places to go out. Bit far from the city center but close to the subway, which brings you to Alexanderplatz in 10 minutes. The only bad point was that we had a room at the front near the street which in the morning was quite noisy. Otherwise it would have been excellent.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

I found this hostel through Tripadvisor – and it looks exactly like the pictures on their website. I staid here for just over two weeks in the four-bedroom dorm. U Inn is beautifully clean, very cosy (after the first day I told people I was going "home" when I headed back after a day of exploring) and the staff were friendly. Although there's always something happening in Friedrichshain and the surrounds, the hostel itself is very quiet. My window looked out on a tree and I could hear birds singing in the morning.

The bed was very comfortable and the showers had adjustable shower heads. The price for the breakfast went up slightly while I was there (from 2 to 2.50 euro), but it was worthwhile since it included freshly brewed filter coffee.

I had a great time there and can really recommend it to anyone looking for a place to stay in Berlin.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank DSteyn
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

I stayed at the U Inn Berlin for the past week in the single room. Despite the small inconvenience of walking through a 6 bed dorm room to get to the single room (Their inconvenience, not so much mine), I really enjoyed staying in the room. It had a comfortable bed, big window, dresser and desk with chair so it felt like a room in a flat, I felt really at home here. The living room and kitchen are small and cosy like a flat, and the vibes are friendly and chilled out, definitely not a party place which was perfect for me. There is a bar next door but I couldn't hear it from inside the hostel. The staff were really friendly and helpful, and although the breakfast was simple with museli, juice and toast, it was enough for me. The U bahn is just a 2 minute walk from the hostel so I was able to travel across the city very late at night using public transport and I still felt safe. I will definitely be staying here again!

Room Tip: Book the single room if you are travelling solo - very cosy
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

I had a 2 night stay in this hostel. Also, it was my first stay in a hostel ever. For a single room for 33 Euro per Night, i wasn't quite sure about things you gonna think about cheap room, like, how clean their rooms would be, or what kind of manager there would be.

But i was quite surprised.

I had a nice introduction of the hostel and the surroundings there.
The room was cleaner than on most other pricier hotels, and if your curious about security, they've got a code locked door, which change every day.

You can have your breakfast here, for just 2 Euro. You don't get a big buffet, but enough things to start your day.
And in a short walk distance to U-Bahn station Samariterstrasse, you get to Alexanderplatz in no time

So, if you need a cheap stay in berlin, and don't mind to use a shared bathroom, THIS should be your next hostel / hotel

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Michel T
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

It's true that this little hostel may be a bit far away from the HUGE Berlin attractions (like the Brandenburg Gate), but that's not to say that it's not far away, and that's not to say that it isn't a bad thing either. You can easily take the S or the U-Bahn down, and the stations aren't far at all from the hostel. It is also well-served by funky bars, pubs, cafes and restaurants all within 10-15 minutes of walking (hint: Try the Schalander Restaurant and Brewery just a short walk away, their own-brewed wheat beer is amazing, and the food is good too).

The hostel is also cleaned very regularly (and it may lead to inconveniences such as not being able to access certain parts of the place for the time they're working there, as my sister and I found out). Additionally, it has wonderfully comfortable beds, something which can be overlooked all too easily in hostels. But its cleanliness is one of its strengths, and it's one of the reasons why I'm giving it such a high rating. I've been in much worse, so you can imagine how pleasantly surprised I was by the state of the hostel.

The staff are also top-notch. We were able to strike up conversations with them extremely easily, and they were magnificent in telling us where to go, what to see and eat, and how to enjoy ourselves in Berlin. They also helped us with our booking when I had difficulties, giving very prompt responses online and seeing what they could do to make our stay as pleasant as possible. I felt like these were people I could very happily go out and spend the night drinking with.

If I had one gripe, it would be the breakfast selection. It is very basic, with cereals and milk and fruit juice. Then again, it was only €2!

All in all, a magnificent place to stay in, and very well worth the money!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends