Hotel Abell
US$147
US$118
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 4 March 2013

This hotel is certainly not the most modern in Berlin but it is inexpensive, well located and our room was spacious, warm and the bed was extremely comfortable. It comes with all the German standards - showers of bone breaking force, loo paper which could sand the roughest walls, all purpose cleanser/shampoo (what do they use for conditioner?) and lighting of the greatest economy! A welcome by product were the bedside lamps which were perfect for midnight reading without disturbing your partner. The breakfast was fantastic. Great coffee, fresh fruit salad, yoghurt, cereals, perfect boiled eggs, delicious rolls and a large range of cold meats and cheeses. Delicious! The owner had poor English but my German was even poorer however with lots of sign language and paper we communicated perfectly. Would stay again.

Room Tip: The area is quiet so any room is fine
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Pickytraveller48
Reviewed 21 May 2012

When we where booking this hotel, we where pretty late, and it was one of the few available hotels. After reading the reviews here on tripadvisor, I was a bit worried. But in reality I had no reason to.

The hotel is located less than 5 minuttes walk form the Schönhauser Allé U/S-bahn (metro) stop. Parking was free, and with luck you could get a parking space right outside the door, litteraly.

The staff was very friendly and helpful, and very concerned about if everything was ok. The rooms where pretty standard, although there where almost 3 meters to the ceilling in our room, which made it feel bigger. And my pregnant girlfriend did very appriciate that we had a ground floor room, so no stairs.

There is free internet in the room, I strongly recommend that you bring your own cord, the wireless is working, but our room was away from the wifi and somewhat unstable. The minibar in the room was somewhat empty, but I actually just see that as an ekstra bonus, as there is space for your own stuff in there. We only found German channels on the TV, but we did not spent much time investigating if there where channels in other languages (we did not go to Berlin to watch tv).

The breakfast is also fine, you get bread with an assortment of cheese, ham and jam. Freshly made coffee and tee. And the Manager is very attetitive as to make sure that there is always filled trays, orange juice etc.

There are a few things you have to be aware of. There is no nightportier, so if you arrive after 21.00 for check-in you might have a problem. On check-in you will get a key so you can get in at anytime. Some of the rooms, including ours, are located so you have to walk through the enterance of an apartmentblock, the locals are very friendly though.

For a 3 star hotel, this was a pleasant surprise, and I will consider going back here, when back in Berlin later this year.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Well, I've stayed in this hotel for a week with my dad, it was actually about 2 years ago. I was moving to Germany at the time and I needed a place to sleep till I would find a flat and my dad was there to help me. The hotel was amazing, our room was huge and we really enjoyed the stay, the problem wasn't actually the location or the hotel itself, but the receptionist/owner.
On my reservation there was my contacts, as normally, including my cell phone number and my e-mail. Well, if you are a woman and you are planing to do a reservation give a wrong number, because as soon as I did the check out, the guy that works in the reception (i guess he is the owner of the hotel) couldn't stop texting me and calling me inviting me on dates! I was extremely upset because I left my number in case there was a problem with my reservation and not for him to call me and try to flirt. GRRRRR! Anyway after a few weeks I had to be rude and told him to stop!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 May 2011

The concierge was very unfriendly from the beginning and asked me to pay the two nights that I had booked on the phone in advance and only after a rather intense conversation I managed to convince him to pay for only one night. Because of his behaviour I only stayed there one night. There are other options in Berlin for a price of around 80 Euro/night per person.
Location is good, close to U/S-Bahn. The hotel itself is clean. Just a pity that the stuff is rather aweful.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank inaki_13
Reviewed 2 October 2010

This was my first business trip booked hotel. I wanted to be directly in Prenzlauer berg. The hotel was clean. The staff was very helpful. One thing I found strange, was that the hotel was connected to an apartment building. This wasn't bad, but it felt like I would have to leave the hotel, go through a foyer of an apartment building, through another door, to get to my room. Regardless, the room was good. Old-style rooms with very high ceilings and long curtains. The room however was very dark. Better lighting would have been adequate. Also my internet didn't work during the night. Im not sure if someone had turned off the internet. It was working again in the morning. Very slow though, but I suppose you can't have everything. The bed was pretty comfortable. I would have preferred a double bed, but instead, it was two small beds pushed together. Overall sleep experience was nice.
Breakfast was also nice. Lots to choose from.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to experience Berlins Prenzlauer Berg district. You are close to EVERYTHING!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business