My previous review gave these apartments 3 stars. I come here because the price is cheap and it is very conveniently located for where my business is.... just 5 minutes walk. However, even when the cost is low, I expect some minimum standards and I think these apartments fail. A couple of points to note:
- the flyer which is found on the hotel's website (only in German) says that the apartments have a fully equipped kitchen (komplett eingerichteter Küche). This is not true... see picture. There are only 2 electric rings to cook on and no microwave oven. So no way of cooking even a pizza or a ready-meal. Also, no serving spoon. No beer glasses. Very cheap wine glasses.
- the shower fitting was faulty so it continually dropped down the riser rail and twisted round. Also, no soap dish or hook in the shower so shampoos, shower gels etc had to be put on the floor
- the picture of the breakfast buffet in the flyer is not accurate. The selection is VERY poor. For example, no selection of breads just white bread rolls. One type of cheese. One type of ham. Cornflakes or muesli. For fruit, there were only apples for 2 days and apples and bananas on my 3rd day.
- the traffic noise is disturbing. Due to the building construction, the doble-glazed windows do not block much traffic noise so I had to use ear plugs to get to sleep. Also, there are no proper shutters or curtains at the windows - only venetian blinds - so light floods into the room in the morning.
- the 1 pillow (no others provided) fell out of the pillow slip/case and the pillow was disgustingly filthy (see photo)
- Berlin is the capital and receives many English and non-German visitors. The hotel owners do not accommodate non-English speakers. No information is provided in English and the owner does not speak any English. On a previous visit, I translated the informatin pack (including emergency information) into English and provided it to them. They have made no use of that information and still only provide emergency information in German. The only non-German TV channels are CNN and BBC World News (with about 25 other German-speaking cable channels).
- the website states that the hotel is non-smoking. This is not true. My floor had a very strong smell of cigarette smoke, most probably by guests smoking in the corridor as smoking is prohibited in rooms. Very unpleasant.
- the worst part of my stay was the owners insistence that I paid with cash, despite them having a credit card machine and my reservation stating very clearly "Amex, Visa and Mastercard accepted". I refused to pay with cash and the owner even pretended to swipe my Amex card in the machine the wrong way to pretent it wasn't accepted. I actually had to put the card in the machine myself the right way and of course, the pyament was accepted! This is NOT the way to treat customers.
There are a few budget hotels in the same area so I will be using one of those on my next business trip to Berlin.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our Apartments are located in quiet streets only 5 minutes by foot from the famous Kurfürstendamm, Adenauerplatz crossing, where you can find many different Restaurants, Bars, Cinemas and Theaters.Olivaer Platz, Lehniner Platz and Savigny Platz, with their smaller and bigger stores and cafes are reachable by a short walk.The 1.5 room flats are personally designed and furnished, on the first Floor and part of a beautiful Neubau Complex. The Vacation Flats have bright rooms and are fully furnished. Thank the Elevator – there's no need for carrying suitcases! The Home Units are equipped lovingly with all what you need for living: a comfortable Living room area with a cosey sofa (which opens to a good sleeping sofa), a couch table, Cable-TV, CD-Radio, Wardrobe and Dining area. for relaxation! Prices include all indirect costs (electricity, water, central heating) – the use of towls, bedcloths, hair drier and iron and also included! The Apartments are optimal for 2 Guests – but also for 3! For the hot summer – we also got Aircondition! Internet connection (flat and mobile in the whole city) via UMTS – can be arranged after prior agreement, for only 5 Euro per day. Pick up service from the Airport (Schönefeld= 40,- €, Tegel= 30,- € ) Inexpensive Bicycle Rentals around the corner! Especially convenient is the fact that accross our house is a nice Supermarket, a Laundry Room and an original Italian Restaurant. Traffic connections from our Holiday Flats:Nearby our Apartments are optimal Traffic connections via Buses, Underground and S-trains. There's the Airport-Bus from Tegel Airport going directly to Adenauerplatz. To the Zoo Train Station or to the Exhibition area (Messegelaende) at the Funkturm it's apprx. 10 minutes. In addition, the Autobahn connection (Highway) is via Rathenauplatz, approx. 3 minutes by car.Sites nearby worth seenThe Zoologische Garden (the Zoo), the famous Kurfürstendamm Avenue, the Gedächtniskirche (Kaiser-Wilhelm Memorial Church), the Aquarium, the old known Department Store KaDeWe, the open Swimming-Pool Wilmersdorf, "The Story of Berlin" (Multimedia Exhibition), and many more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotel.de, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, HRS, Agoda, Traveltool, S.L.U. and Evoline ltd so you can book your Schoenhouse Living reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.