“Great area to stay in and great hotel”

Best Western Hotel City Ost
Ranked #195 of 633 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We had a fourth floor smoking room with a wet room, which was huge. Lovely bed, comfy chair and plenty of hanging space. Underground right outside door and to the right of the hotel two streets down on the left loads of great bars and restaurants. On our last day my husband wanted a rest so I went left out of the hotel to a great little shopping mall for a wander. All in all a great stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vgils1

Reviewed 6 May 2013

Clean, basic, a good base to sleep and go. The underground is right outside and bars less than ten minutes walk. Easy to get everywhere but you feel like you are off the tourist trail which is great. The bakery next door is cheap, there is also a beer shop open late over the road. Netto is next door. You can have a cheap break with everything to hand here.

Room Tip: Higher floors have poorer WIFI connection
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Pros:
The room was a good size and quite comfortable. It was clean and the bathroom was good (although the shower was a little cramped). Great location (U-bahn right outside the door, and S-bahn about 5 minutes walk away) making it easy to get to most places from the hotel. It was also very easy to get between the hotel and the airport on the S-bahn.

Cons:
The "double bed" was two single mattresses jammed together. When I asked reception about this I was told "that's a double bed in Germany". I find this hard to believe and felt a little mislead about it being sold as a double.

The "free wifi in room" boasted by the hotel was so weak we could only access it from the lobby. While this wasn't a huge inconvenience, I feel it should not be advertised as being available in the room when it effectively isn't.

The air conditioning did not work. It was quite warm when we were there and during the night it was unbearably hot in the room. Being on a main road, we didn't want to keep the window open all night, as it was quite noisy. When I asked at reception about this they said the air con had not been switched on yet as it had not been hot for long enough. I was told to just keep the window open. Again, if there is no air conditioning available in the room, it should not be advertised as being air conditioned.

Upon checking out, the receptionist was rude and sarcastic. I wasn't sure whether she needed my name or room number first so I waited to be asked. She stared at me blankly until I said "I'm sorry, I don't know what information you need first" and she replied "Uh, like maybe you room number?" in a really sarcastic tone. I felt this was completely unnecessary and put a bit of a dampener on our morning.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay, but I was annoyed at the rudeness of the staff and not getting what I had paid for.

Room Tip: A room on a low floor towards the back of the hotel might result in better internet reception, whils...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank robot_crab
Reviewed 1 May 2013

This was a pretty average hotel. It was clean and close to the metro. There was a bakery and grocery store close by so we never ate breakfast there. My one suggestion would be to bring your own hairdryer because the one there is quite pitiful. Otherwise, everything was fine including the internet.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 April 2013

This hotel was modern the rooms was of good standard . This hotel is for bed an breakfast predominately and is in a good location with a lot of pubs and restaurants to go into, the is a netto next door were you can get drinks etc for day trips. The hotel is by the substation and is in easy assess of the Alexanderplatz station for the Berlin city centre. It's room was very cheap and I good break away from this good modern and well kept hotel.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Stayed here for three nights. As mentioned in other reviews, it is right next to the Sameriterstrasse U-bahn station, which connects you easily to Alexanderplatz. We took a taxi to and from the hotel to Tegel airport, each time paying €26. Rooms were clean. It felt a little warm, and we never bothered with the room temperature controls, instead leaving the window open. Only 1 of two elevators is working. The map they offer isn't great, so be on the lookout for something better. The hotel isn't even on the map; it doesn't go that far east. Wifi was great and worked in the rooms on the 4th floor just fine.

Be sure to buy and validate the metro tickets as the ticket checkers are plain clothed and we were checked often and watched several people receive citations.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 April 2013

I recommend this hotel - it was clean and quiet, good value, without frills but comfortable and in a great part of the city. It's literally opposite an S-Bahn station so very easy to get around. The room was relatively small but very nice, with a good bathroom. The hotel itself lacks the facilities of a larger hotel, such as a proper bar, but is great to spend the night. I really like the area - busy, yet it feels safe and pleasant.

Room Tip: We asked for a double room but didn't get it; if you want one, insist.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple