“Deceived”

Best Western Hotel City Ost
Ranked #191 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We stayed there 4 nights as a couple. If you arrive from Schönefeld airport, it's easy to get to the hotel. I must admit the location is great, you can't be closer to a subway, and there's a drugstore and a grocery store also very close. However, the hotel doesn't look good, the carpet must be older than my mother and it doesn't look very clean, even in the room. The wifi in the room is terrible, my laptop had a hard time getting it and my husband's cell phone couldn't get it at all. The empty mini frige was practical, and you can get a tea maker with 2 cups full of coffee and tea bags for 5 Euros (they give you back the 5 euros at the end of your stay).

The most deceiving part is that I had 200$ Best Western travel cards, and I was planning to pay a part of my stay with them, however the staff refused them. First they seemed to not even know what they were, one of the girl looked almost scared or disgusted to touch the cards! and then they said that as I had reserved through Expedia, they couldn't accept them, even if the hotel wasn't prepaid... I even contacted the BW customer service to get help, they did call the hotel, but the staff there pretended that Expedia indicated that I had to pay my whole stay by credit card at the arrival. I doubled-checked my reservation on Expedia and this didn't appear no where...For this issue and the lack of wifi, I will never go back there and I won't recommand this hotel neither. Plus the staff doesn't mind if you don't speak German, they start talking in German assuming that you understand... It was getting bothering to always have to say "could you speak English, please?". They work in a hotel, they should assume that they don't receive only local visitors!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here as a couple for 4 nights, great location and easy to get to from the airport with a u bahn right outside the hotel. We arrived early in the morning and check in wasn't until later but the reception staff were lovely and friendly letting us freshen up and store our luggage whilst we went off to explore Berlin! We didn't end up checking in till late in the evening, we had a room at the back of the hotel which was lovely and quiet, we could even get wi-fi connection in the room and a free safe to use which in most hotels you have to pay for. The view wouldn't have been to most peoples tastes but I quite liked the bit of graffiti you could see! We didn't have the hotels breakfast as there was so many little places selling yummy pastries and stuff nearby. We would defiantly return to this hotel great value for money and better than many hotels we've paid more for to stay in!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lauren_hb
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Hotel is located just above the U Bahn station. Location is excellent. You can find this hotel very easily. You can get everything nearby- Cheap breakfast, Oriental and Indian food. Shop in front of the hotel serves tea and coffee round the clock. Hotel staff is courteous and helpful. Reception staff is pleasant. Room was clean and quite. We did not hear any noise of the street traffic.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We were four couples traviling together. We chose the hotel for its location and price. The hotel is right in front of a U-bahn stop and you are 10 minutes from the central of East Berlin. The street, however, is very noisy and filthy. We did not feel comfortable walking around the area. The hotel breakfast (9 euros) was good and plenty. There is also a grocery story adjacent to the hotel.

Now, the hotel itself is an equivalent of a poorly maintained motel 6 in America. The sheets were clean and so was the bathroom. The rugs were dirty as well as curtains. There were no amenities and the internet only worked in the lobby. They did not provide washcloths, so if you plan on staying here, bring your own. Most of the front desk clerks spoke English but not helpful.

The taxi drive to the hotel was 35 euros, otherwise, take the train to Alexanderplatz and then the U-bahn to the hotel.

I really do not recommend this hotel to anyone nor will I ever return.

1  Thank Luis M
Reviewed 2 November 2013

A very good hotel situated slightly away from the main city but an easy underground train ride away. The room was spectacularly clean every day, the cleaner's were brilliant and very nice.
For what we got, the price was perfect, my expectations were definitely surpassed.
Receptionist's were friendly and their English was good too which was very helpful.
I would certainly stay there again.

Oh and the shower was amazingly powerful

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are better
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We arrived here Sunday 13th October from Leeds. Getting to the hotel from the airport was very easy commuter train then underground for one stop hotel was just outside the station.
The hotel was very clean and the room was good, only problem was the noise of traffic on a night zooming bye the road is very busy. However if you slept with the window closed it was not a problem.
The staff were very helpful our friends were arriving later that day from London and had asked if we could have a room near each other which they had sorted and we were next door to each other. If I went back to Berlin I certainly would stay here again.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

stayed here last week good clean hotel with great transport links got the train from airport to frankfurt aille then only 5 min walk to hotel the cost was 3 euro the only fault was the room was very warm the area is a great place for great priced food and nice bars everything from thai to mexican way cheaper than irish prices top tip lemmongrass and osin next store for good meals in the day time forget mcdonnalds lots of turkish and aisan cafe with meals from 2euros

Room Tip: the front of hotel busy road
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple