“Time-travel”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Charlottenburg
Description: Keine EC- oder Kreditkartenzahlung möglich. No credit card payment available. Reservierungen zwischen 19:00 und 20:30h möglich. Reservations are possible between 19:00 and 20:30h.
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Everything has really been said, but I will say it again. The dining room takes you straight to early 1900's. The aging couple running the restaurant are extremely courteous but also witty. The food is good, not really great, but well prepared and no-nonsense type of cooking. The concept is simple: you can choose to have 3 or 4 course meal, and there are 4-5 choices for each course. The prices are extremely low considering the quality of food and service (the Italian joint across the street charges about the same for food that is vastly inferior). Vine list is short but filled with quality wines. It is advisable to book in advance, the restaurant is small and getting a table without reservation is possible but unlikely.

2  Thank FinnishButcher
Write a ReviewReviews (1,026)

Reviewed 2 August 2014

We were staying in Berlin with a good friend for 5 days. I scouted interesting restaurants through Tripadvisor beforehand.

I wasn't convinced beforehand that this place would be the perfect match for us based on menu but the recommendations made me to make a reservation.

When we stepped in to the restaurant the environment and atmosphere took us straight to the first half of last century. Very polite senior couple taking care of service was amazing. We totally forgot that we were having dinner in the heart of one of the Europe's modern metropolis.

Food wasn't actually absolutely the best I have eaten but very good anyway and very reasonably priced.

Dinner in 1930's private dining room feeling with excellent service, French cuisine, combination of great wine and pure tastes and very exceptional environment made the dinner experience very unique.

2  Thank Makustelija
Reviewed 1 August 2014

For our last evening meal with friends in Berlin we followed Tripadvisor and booked at Heising.
We had a delicious meal in a charming environment. Heising is so different to the current trend in fashionable eating, it was like stepping into a bygone age of chintzy elegance. The ambience invited a high level of quiet respect and decorum, to have behaved outrageously would have felt like a personal affront to the elderly couple who graciously took our order and delivered our food, more as our hosts than waiters. This is a place for tranquility, so the rowdy table of heavy drinkers was approached by an adjacent diner. The rest of us nodded our gratitude. The food isn't Michelin style but it is well presented and very well cooked. It made an excellent end to our trip.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Authentic, delicate good food that is well prepared in surroundings best described as your great grand parents private livingroom. Do treat yourself to this experience if you want to have something to talk to your friends about. 97 year old Hr. Heissing himself is serving you together with his wife.

We shall definately return again soon.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

First thing to remember - It's CASH ONLY. I noticed a lot of people embarrassedly shuffling out to get cash and I myself restricted myself from having another drink on (unfounded) fears that I might be short.

Second thing to remember - Be on time! I got hopelessly lost and nearly lost my table (in spite of emailing to say that I'd be late).

Lastly - If you've got the first two things in the bag, it's FANTASTIC, so be prepared for a thoroughly enjoyable evening.

The ambience is just lovely. The decor makes you feel like you've stepped back in time. The elderly couple who run the restaurant (Mrs. & Mr. Heising) are warm and gracious hosts. I was a bit worried about dining alone in a restaurant which was so clearly a very romantic place, but I have to say I had one of the best evenings ever.
The food is great - perhaps not the best French food I've ever had, but definitely high up there. Rich and decadent.
Would highly recommend. Do book in advance.

3  Thank AnwK