“Avoid”

Neighbourhood: Charlottenburg
Montesson, France
“Avoid”
Reviewed 23 April 2013

I fancied some good German food and the chance to watch Bayern Munich playing Barcelona on the TV. The hotel recommended the Gasthaus Alt-Berlin. I should have realised when I arrived that I had made a mistake. The place had few customers and the waiter (owner) insisted I chose what I wanted to eat before he would let me sit down. The menu was unimaginative and expensive. I chose bratwurst and a beer, a small beer. Well, the beer came quite quick (it was a medium sized beer). The food came about 20 minutes later - dry sausages swimming in overcooked sauerkraut and potatoes. I ordered a second small beer, and this time I got a big one. I pointed this out but was confronted with "I don't understand?" I left most of the food and most of the beer. An elderly couple from one of the scandinavian countries came in and tried to understand the menu. The waiter was really rude to them. I asked if the TV could be switched over from snooker to football. I was told this wasn't possible (I was the only one in the place who could see it). I asked for the bill - 25 euros including 10 euros for the 2 small beers. The waitress made it clear I was expected to leave a tip. I asked to pay by credit card (there's a sign in the window) but was told the bill was too small, they only take cards over 50 euros. I left without a word from the waiter or the waitress. I really wished I'd consulted tripadvisor before I wasted my money.

• Visited April 2013

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Good food - rudest staff ever - avoid”
Reviewed 10 April 2013

We went in for a late afternoon meal and were told to look at the menu options, choice seemed limited but okay so we decided to stay. The manageress/wairtess whatever she was was abrupt and unpleasant, refused our 5 year old daughter tap water and we had to buy a bottle. Moved our glasses onto our beermats if we left them anywhere else on the table.

I had the copper goulash which was superb and the vom fass beer was good, my wife and daughter had schnitzel and bockwurst and both went down well. However the appalling attitude of the staff of teh day made this not a great experience, whilst we were there she was arguing with another two customers and a 3rd came over to complain about her.

Visited April 2013
Maleny, Australia
“Be careful”
Reviewed 31 March 2013 via mobile

Called in here on spec for a drink on a cold, unseasonally snowy Berlin evening. Liked the atmosphere and stayed for dinner. Food was OK, generous German pub food and the atmosphere in the place seemed quite warm and friendly until we went to pay the bill. There was a lot of fuss over change - do you have a smaller note, coins etc - and my husband stood his ground when the waitress/owner tried to take €10 more than was owing. The man (owner/her husband?) then came over and said no, it's OK you're right and we left. Came back to our hotel and read the Tripadvisor reviews and it seems we may not have been the first to have such an experience. Shame for them really. We are in town for another 6 days and would have gone back....,

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Strange things are going on - although food is quite good”
Reviewed 4 February 2013

The place is located close to Kurfürstendamm and it looks like a very local place. We went inside around 8pm on Saturday; except for a group of about 8 it was more or less empty. We had to wait in front of a gate with lots of 'funny slogans'... do not do this and do not do that, etc. etc.. After a minute or 2 the waiter came and we had to first study a few pages of the menu before we were even allowed in to a table. After a few minutes the waiter returned and asked whether we liked it and we got a table. (If it would not have been cold and rainy and we really wanted some original German food, we would have left immediately.) He also told us that we would have to wait for between half an hour and three quarters of an hour because they now had to cook for the group of 8???? This sounds very strange for a place with maybe 20 tables and only one or two occupied on a Saturday evening? The food was served after about 20 minutes and it was good food, although quite expensive. During our stay about 10 - 20 more people entered the Restaurant, each time the owner? run towards them and asked them something.... some of them he told to leave, others had to study the menu as we had to do. All in all at least 50% of the people who entered left without ordering anything... it looked like the Restaurant did not want to have guests. In addition, side dishes and drinks were extremely expensive, a normal cup of coffee for € 3.50, my friend asked to have a side dish changed (both choices were on the normal menu)... he said it was € 3.00 on the bill it was € 3.90... a 0,1 dl of regular grade Calvados was € 5.20. Anyway this place is a real tourist trap... and probably locals do not go there anyway since there are similar Restaurants which are much better and cheaper... see my previous review of a real Berliner Restaurant.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank peterpan9_10
Santa Monica, California
“Kitschy, with okay food and odd service”
Reviewed 29 January 2013

Seemingly genuine German fare, plentiful and well-prepared, but the dish took forever ("we are not Macdonald's!) and then we were rushed to finish. A large group, we got separate checks, which was appreciated, but the server made a huge production out of it. Odd decor ("ask before taking pictures"??!!) and not really much atmosphere, but reasonably priced.

Visited January 2013