“Great food and poor ambience”
Review of Hugos Restaurant

Hugos Restaurant
Ranked #424 of 9,300 Restaurants in Berlin
Price range: US$82 - US$152
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Charlottenburg
Description: Panoramic views and heavenly food - Hugos Gourmetrestaurant on the 14th floor. An elegant setting where our top-flight chef Eberhard Lange creates an haute cuisine dining experience garnished with one Michelin star and 17 points in the Gault Millau restaurant guide. Subtly different, blending the finest of flavours in the lightest of dishes. Spiced with the stunning view across Berlin's shimmering night-time cityscape. Or enjoy the exclusive service and ambience of our elegant Hugo Private Dining Rooms. The perfect evening with each unforgettable moment to be enjoyed to the fullest - crowned with an after-dinner drink at Hugos Bar.
Reviewed 19 November 2014

The quality of food was high, we went for the truffle menu which was great. The sommerlier recommended us an Austrian red as my wife is mostly into red wine. That was also great.

However the issue for this restaurant is the interior, the lightning and in general the atmosphere. It does not get the most out of the great views from this top floor location at all.

Also the attention from the waiters were below what I would expect from a starred restaurant.

Would we come back - most likely not, I would want more of a ambience when enjoying a nice dinner out.

Reviewed 17 November 2014

I invited my wife there for a romantic dinner and it was a big mistake ... Firstly, it is located in the Intercontinental, which is tacky and needs refurbishment ... At the reception on the 15th floor, they were not very friendly, and very junior ... The dining room has not taste, no charm, it looks like a meeting room from the late 80ies ... with Aluminium windows, and IKEA like furniture ... It is neither cosy, beautifulf or charming ... We ordered the 10 course 'Überaschungsmenu' i.e. the suprise menu ... we stated that my wife had allergy to seafood in general and mussels in particular and they took good note ... Then the 1st plates came .. but we had no cutlery ... The waitress came and said that it was ok since it was a cold dish ... 3 course later, comes a plate with ... mussels. I tell the waiter that I am surprised since I had just explained to him that my wife had an allergy. His reply was 'wrong table' but it was obvious that he had forgotten to warn the chef. The sommelier was sweaty but ok and advised excellent and decently priced German and Austrian wines. This was the most positive note of the dinner. And regarding the food, it was technically mastered, ... but somehow theoretical, 'flat', boring ... no dish really had any WOW effect on us ... The service was poor, junior, with no 'ownership' of our table ... and they did not have a 'service' culture i.e. being focused at us having a good time and wanting to come back ... So overall, it was cheap for a 10 course menu, but except for a business lunch, and with a more concise menu, I would not really recommend this place.

2  Thank Xavier75Paris
Reviewed 9 November 2014

Fantastic meal in this wonderful restaurant. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff or chef. Simply beautiful food.

Reviewed 2 November 2014 via mobile

We were a very large group and enjoyed a very good dinner.

The view over the rooftops is one of Berlin's best. Even more, I was impressed by the high level service and dinner. Rarely I was pleased this much with both for large groups (50+). All was served well timed and the veal filet was indeed medium, soup warm and dessert served for the eyes too. Quality was very high and some innovative ingredients made the dinner above expectations.

Congrats to the staff of having done so well for so many people.

I am looking forward to get there with a more intimate sized group - the meals and service must be superb.

Reviewed 2 September 2014

Top food at the top of Berlin. Gourmet food one relishes at a humane pace of service! Add to this the view and you are in for a pleasant evening.