“ok but wouldn't recommend to a friend”

Southend Hostel Bremen
Southend Hostel Bremen
Ranked #18 of 25 Speciality Lodging in Bremen
Reviewed 29 September 2011

Stayed here for three nights. As others have mentioned, the check-in times were not very convenient (we had to wait an hour and a half before we could check in). We also had a problem paying by credit card, which I note someone else had said had been a problem--they tried two or three times to make the card work and their machine didn't work (my card worked later, so that wasn't the problem). If you go, plan on paying cash. The staff was friendly, though not very present--this is much more like rented apartments than what you would think of as a more typical hostel. At night there doesn't appear to be any staff on site. Surprisingly, it was very quiet at night, which I wouldn't necessarily expect from a hostel. The big problem with this place is its cleanliness. The carpets throughout the stairs and halls are badly stained. In our bedroom the carpet was also badly stained and additional rugs were added to the floors-perhaps to detract from the stains. But these also seemed dirty so the entire impact was that I couldn't walk around the room without socks. The bathroom and kitchen unit however seemed clean. I would't stay here again, as I think you can get much better for a a little more money. Still, it'll do in a pinch.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kriykie
There are newer reviews for Southend Hostel Bremen

Reviewed 16 August 2010

We thought Southend Hostel Bremen was a strange hostel - people (including elderly people) lived there too, which gave it a weird atmosphere. It was dingy and dirty - the carpet in the dorm was filthy, as were the pillows. We used our sleeping bags instead of the linen because the place was not clean and it smelt too. The man behind reception was most unfriendly and was smoking, which again didn't give a great impression! The location however is good - the centre of Bremen is within walking distance and the train station is easily accessed by tram. Not the best hostel I've stayed in ...

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VictoriaThreadgold
Reviewed 12 June 2010

The place is quiet , the staff was really kind and helpful. Generally I liked the atmosphere.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 December 2009

Well located, the single room's facilities are great (kichenette inclusive)

Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 May 2009

www.Tripadvisor.com

I and my friend stayed at Southend hostel in January for 5 nights. We made reservation by contacting owner thru email month before arriving and hostel’s owner gave us 5+5 euro discount for such a long stay (I asked for it).

Location of hostel is good (it’s close to Old Town and the shopping street, also there are some good bars near hostel), but if you want to party it would be better to stay closer to Hauptbanhof because main clubs are located there.

We stayed in 4-people Kilkenny room. Room was big and comfortable, with fridge, good shower and toilet, but there was also some problems with staying in this Hostel:
1) At first night me and my friend went to party. I returned to hostel after midnight, but my friend was drunk and he was at hostel later. At night my friend returned to hostel lately, switched a light, also he talked to me a loud, then after 5 minutes he was sleeping (it is important to mention what common room at nights was closed). But next morning owner of the hostel said to us that because of this he lost one client (our neighbour didn’t liked a noise) and now we have to pay for this, or we should leave hostel without money back. My friend paid 20 euros. I think that it’s unfair to pay for owner’s risks like nervous clients (we didn’t have party in the room or something like these; another neighbor has no problem with staying with us);
2) Floor in our room was dirty - for five day long staying it was never cleaned (we saw how carpet becomes dirtier every day). We didn’t have toilet paper, towels and soap in shower. We received toilet paper after asking owner for it at the 3rd day;
3) Our room has one heater (our trip was in winter as I said before). After returning to the hostel every evening we found what temperature in room is low – owners always switched this heater off.

Good points of hostel are:
1) Free internet and two computers in common room (also wireless network is available)
2) Free tea or coffee at breakfast time. Also you can by small breakfast for approx. 2,5 euro, but I didn’t liked it
3) They have many boardgames, but you have to ask for them (boardgames mainly are in German)
4) It is big TV in common room, but very few channels
5) You can find free maps of the Bremen and other materials in Common room
6) Usually it is empty and quiet in common room, this hostel can be perfect for family’s or old people
7) Common room was closed at nights

For us paying for 5-day long staying at once was mistake, because we couldn’t change hostel and owner could use this situation and he used it.
Overall hostel is ok, I have read many good reviews about it, but in the next time I will choose another hostel.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank andrejs_x
Reviewed 19 March 2009

The people who check you in are a bit cooky. The storage was ok. The are not there between 12-3 so dont think youll be able to stroll in and get yourself checked in before 3. The credit card machine was dial up, so it wouldnt really work until the 7th try. The computers were old and outdated, but did their job.

Now the rooms and bathrooms were crisp and clean. Good bed and reasonable pillow. Didnt realize when you book online they charge you an extra 2 euros for linens.

If youre staying with less then 3 people I recommend this place, but if you have 4 you can get the ibis a block away for cheaper.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank tmollison44
Reviewed 10 December 2008

We stayed 2 nights at the apartment just across the road from the hostel. Close to town centre and airport with good tram links. Kitchen well equipped, decent sleeping arrangements. Staff friendly and helpful.

Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family