I and my friend stayed at Southend hostel in January for 5 nights. We made reservation by contacting owner thru email month before arriving and hostel’s owner gave us 5+5 euro discount for such a long stay (I asked for it).
Location of hostel is good (it’s close to Old Town and the shopping street, also there are some good bars near hostel), but if you want to party it would be better to stay closer to Hauptbanhof because main clubs are located there.
We stayed in 4-people Kilkenny room. Room was big and comfortable, with fridge, good shower and toilet, but there was also some problems with staying in this Hostel:
1) At first night me and my friend went to party. I returned to hostel after midnight, but my friend was drunk and he was at hostel later. At night my friend returned to hostel lately, switched a light, also he talked to me a loud, then after 5 minutes he was sleeping (it is important to mention what common room at nights was closed). But next morning owner of the hostel said to us that because of this he lost one client (our neighbour didn’t liked a noise) and now we have to pay for this, or we should leave hostel without money back. My friend paid 20 euros. I think that it’s unfair to pay for owner’s risks like nervous clients (we didn’t have party in the room or something like these; another neighbor has no problem with staying with us);
2) Floor in our room was dirty - for five day long staying it was never cleaned (we saw how carpet becomes dirtier every day). We didn’t have toilet paper, towels and soap in shower. We received toilet paper after asking owner for it at the 3rd day;
3) Our room has one heater (our trip was in winter as I said before). After returning to the hostel every evening we found what temperature in room is low – owners always switched this heater off.
Good points of hostel are:
1) Free internet and two computers in common room (also wireless network is available)
2) Free tea or coffee at breakfast time. Also you can by small breakfast for approx. 2,5 euro, but I didn’t liked it
3) They have many boardgames, but you have to ask for them (boardgames mainly are in German)
4) It is big TV in common room, but very few channels
5) You can find free maps of the Bremen and other materials in Common room
6) Usually it is empty and quiet in common room, this hostel can be perfect for family’s or old people
7) Common room was closed at nights
For us paying for 5-day long staying at once was mistake, because we couldn’t change hostel and owner could use this situation and he used it.
Overall hostel is ok, I have read many good reviews about it, but in the next time I will choose another hostel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Southend Hostel Bremen moved - We now are in the old part of Bremen. We are in the middle of the center and the night life ! To the main station one can run easily to foot and to the airport you needs as before only 15 min. We are in the old part of town, one of the most beautiful quarters in Bremen, with a lot of entertainment possibilities like shopping, cubs, restaurants, culture and of course relax at the riverside ("Schlachte")! This and a lot more you will reach in few minutes on foot! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld so you can book your Southend Hostel Bremen reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.