“Very Good for its Price”
Review of City Hotel Bremen

City Hotel Bremen
Ranked #72 of 86 Hotels in Bremen
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Very Good for its Price”
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Myself and a friend stayed here when we came over to Watch Everton play Werder Bremen.

We only paid £59 excluding breakfast and our own toilet/shower for one night between the 2 of us which was really good value for money, The hotel is really easy to access from the airport via tram and right in the heart of the city centre so your not too far away from anything.

The shared toilets and showers were very clean and seemed to be maintained/checked on a regular basis which was good and plenty of hot water.

The rooms were very clean and the beds were comfy with plenty of sheets, I would recommend if you stay at the hotel that you ask for a room at the back of the hotel as due to there being no air conditioning its better to have the window open and not have as much noise from the nearby train station as we were sleeping at the front of the hotel and it was very noisy as we wouldnt have been comfortable with the hot air if the windows were closed.

We decided to use the hotel for a buffet breakfast at 9 euros each, I personally thought the breakfast was OK and there was just about enough of a selection to get by with and it was probably a traditional German breakfast but I'm quite happy to try different things so wasnt a problem.

As we had the whole of the second day to spend in Bremen but had to check out the room by 12, the staff were more than happy to keep our luggage in a secure area for the duration of the day free of charge which was very good of them.

I'd reccomend this hotel especially for football match goers planning on going to the Weserstadion.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends

Katowice, Poland
Reviewed 28 December 2010

hotel is 2* but very good location, walking distance from Bremen train station (200-300m) and from the airport, you can take the tram number 6 from the terminal to Bremen train Station about 12minutes, the ticket is 2,30 euro and you can purchase in tram. old told of bremen is 400-600 m walking, lot of resteurants close to the hotel,
it is cheap option but no bathroom in the room, you share it with other rooms.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank marcin1980
Essex
Reviewed 15 December 2008

This hotel is, without a doubt, the WORST hotel I have ever had the misfortune to step inside in all my life. You couldn't even call it a Doss House, it was SO much worse. The room, approximately 8'x8' had a double bed (which the Owner called King Size!!), which was slammed up against a wall on two sides! There was no wardrobe, only a bar hanging from the wall, which was supposed to house your clothes. In any event, you would not take your clothes out of the suitcase, as the smell of the room would have tainted every fibre. This was mainly the smell of smoke, but the smell of mould and must mixed with it. The bathroom was extremely damp and dank and again mould and musty, the smell permiated the bedroom as soon as the door was opened. The Owner makes you pay UP FRONT in CASH ONLY prior to you seeing the room!! The room was up 2 flights of stairs - no lift. The Owner did not provide any assistance with bags. After waiting until after 3.30pm before being let into the room, after five minutes, we decided that we COULD NOT in any way shape or form put ourselves through this absolute horror and stay any longer this positivtively awful place and did no more than to rush round the local hotels looking for a room for two nights. The money paid for this hotel was obviously non-refundable, but I would rather have lost the money, than stay in this positively disgusting hotel for a moment longer. Please be aware, take heed of this review and DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL.

• Liked — There was nothing likeable about this accommodation
  • Disliked — Smell of room and bathroom; size of room, lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank 99wallaby

Travellers are raving about these Bremen hotels

England
Reviewed 23 October 2008

Yes really assaulted by the man who claims to be the owner - Mr Aydogan. I stayed for three nights whilst attending an expo at the Messe nearby. It is a cheap hotel so I was not expecting much. Room was stark and heavily stained carpets but the shared bathroom was clean and OK.

My problems started as I am on a medical diet and can only eat food packs that have to be mixed with boiling water, and there are no facilities to make tea/coffee in the room. The young staff were very helpful initially in providing me with a flask of boiling water that is until one morning Mr Aydogan got wind of my requests and decided that he wanted to charge me 3 euros each time. I did not pay the 3 euros and complained bitterly to him.

Later I left the hotel to attend my business, and not wanting to have another encounter with MR Aydogan at reception I decided not to leave my key as I was returning later. Twenty metres up the street M Aydogan come rushing up the street after me screaming at me to give him the key. I say its OK I am coming back and proceed on my way only to find Mr Aydogan grasping the sleeve of my jacket and demanding that I return the key. I brush him aside only to find him grasping at my sleeve once more this time his other hand is a clenched fist and he is threatening to stike me if I dont return the key. This time I brush him aside more forcefully and express my thoughts in strong anglo-
saxon expletives that he had better not lay a hand on me again and he retreats without the key.

What an extraordinary experience for my first to Bremen and indeed Germany. Mr Aydogan is a digrace to the people of Bremen.

Mercifully I did not have to encounter him again for my last night, but on asking a member of staff whether Mr Aydogan behaved in this way to all his guests, the repsonse was that his staff also that were subjected to similar treatment.

The staff are told to lie about the taking credit card payments - the machine is always broken and they dont know when it will be fixed. A colleague of mine persisted and was charged 8% by MR Aydogan.

• Liked — Checking out
  • Disliked — Being assaulted by the owner
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank anotherbemused
oslo, norway
Reviewed 18 July 2008

Have stayed at this hotel twice now (late june and middle of july), both times with a shared bathroom. The best thing about this hotel is the location. It is easily accessible, close to the Hauptbahnhof (main station) and tram/bus. The room consists of a small table, two beds, two nightstands, TV, mirror and a sink. It's basically what you need for a night or two. The rooms were very clean. The common bathrooms each have a shower, toilet and sink. They were also clean, the only problem being the floor tiles. Due to the exposure to moist air, the floor tiles have mould on them (which is stuck to the tiles), so the best ting would be to change them. Overall it's a good place to stay for a few nights!

• Liked — location, cleanliness
  • Disliked — the only thing is the floor tiles in the bathroom
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Netherlands
Reviewed 13 December 2007

This hotel is located only 300 meters from the main railway station, which is very practical. Youcan explore the city center on foot. The trains did not cause any nuisance to me, but my room was on the other side of the hotel. The room was simple but clean. Shower and toilet are in the hallway, but very clean so that's okay. Breakfast is not included in the room price and they do not accept credit cards.

• Liked — Location and cleanliness
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
England
Reviewed 3 December 2007

We stayed here at the beginning of the Christmas Markets. The hotel is right near the tram / train station, and thus very easy to get to from the airport (2.10 EURO via tram No.6! From the hotel, the city itself is easier, and more fun, to get around on foot). The room was very clean, although had no ensuite, just a sink. The showers and toilet are on the same floor, very close and also very clean; so not having and ensuite wasn't a problem at all. The staff spoke great English, and were also helpful!

• Liked — Cheap, clean, simple, great location
  • Disliked — No ensuite
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple