“Steigenberger Hotel am Potsdam evaluation”

Steigenberger Hotel Sanssouci
Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Potsdam
GreenLeadersGold level
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Steigenberger Hotel am Potsdam evaluation”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

The hotel is excellent, settled in a very convenient place near the old downtown area and sansoucci park. The rooms are very elegant, with old fashioned furniture. There is also a restaurant in the hotel serving an excellent food with a very kind and helpful staff (both at the hotel reception desk and restaurant).

Room Tip: It seems that all rooms are convenient to have a good night of sleep, since the street in front of t...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

My colleagues and I stayed here for three nights. Not one if us enjoyed it or had anything good to say about it.

Do be prepared to step into a dark, cold, unfriendly place, where the water from the tap/shower is unreliable - it is hot one minute and cold another minute.

There was a horrible smell in the bathroom of my first room 404. I booked a deluxe room, yet the room 404 did not even have a desk! I was then moved to another room 418, which was supposed to be in the same category but was a class up.

The only radiator in my new room was set to a maximum, yet it took 2 full days for the room to be warm.

The hotel gives customers only 30 mins of free internet, and it's 9 euros for 5 hours after that.

Now, one strange thing. In my room, they left just one, very sad pillow! Make sure they bring you another one or two if these.

The staff are mostly very quiet and do not seem too happy or content. The boss (Ms Liebe/Ms Love) was anything but love. She would not acknowledge you even if spoke directly to her. Sadly, customer care is not something she is willing to offer if you do not speak German. The two trainees on the other hand tried to be useful and apologetic.

One last comment. I was there for over three nights, as my organisation had a workshop at the hotel. On my last morning, I asked if I could have a check-out at 12:30 instead if 12:00. The answer from Ms Love was.... Nein!

Thank you, Ms Liebe, your attitude has worked! I won't be returning to your hotel anytime soon...

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank rakmator
Lahr, Germany
Reviewed 27 October 2013

A perfect hotel to discover beautiful Potsdam and Sanssouci Park. All in reach by walking. The hotel itself is a former Steigenberger Maxx hotel and this is how it looks like - a bit run-down. But the rooms are clean. I dislike hotel rooms with an integrated bathroom. Breakfast is okay, variety of fresh fruit is limited.
Avoid to park your car in the hotel parking garage; it's extremely narrow down there and on top it's 20% more expensive than the ample public garage 1 minute away.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Dils2003
Rehovot
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We stayed in Steigenberger hotels repeatedly and thus did not hesitate in our choice. In fact, we entered Potsdam only 12 days after spending two nights in their superb InterCity Berlin-Schönefeld (see my enthusiastic review). It is hard to grasp that both the hotels belong to the same group, ranked the same 4 stars and demand equal price! In Sanssouci they call it “superior” the room without air conditioning and safe, not stuttering even the splendor of balcony or coffee/tea facility. The wretched furniture evokes an era of DDR, as well as their service does: the reception stuff was neither friendly nor cooperative, sometimes close to being rude, that is rare in Germany. The entire spa closed in the midst of the day and the breakfast at 30 euro/pair contributed to our disappointment.
The only merit of this hotel is its top location. But namely this seems to be the cause of all the above shortcomings: they simply do not feel the need to update the hotel and to improve the service quality.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Moshe R
Wimborne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Of course the location is excellent - a short walk to main street of Potsdam town, close to a number of restaurants and very close to the entrance to Sanssouci Park. We chose it on that basis and the very good earlier reviews, but having stayed there would agree with the less good more recent reviews- they seem to believe that their location allows them to get away with less than great facilities and service.
Coming from Berlin, and as informed by the hotel, there's an easy tram from next to the station to close to the hotel. Reception when we arrived was pleasant and friendly, though not that great on providing information. This seemed to set the tone for our stay, with reception staff often being friendly and helpful and just as often 'busy' with other things. We came in after sightseeing late one afternoon and just sat in the outside area, where the waitress seemed rather put out that we didn't want a drink. Another time we actually wanted a drink but couldn't find anyone to serve us, and the bar hardly ever seemed to be open. When we did have a couple of glasses of wine we were somewhat shocked at a price of 17 Euros (should have checked the drinks list first!). Having checked the food prices we decided to eat elsewhere - there are several good, cheap places within 200m. The same goes for breakfast, which was very much on the expensive side, especially if you don't want much.
I can't complain about the room - 1st floor at the back so quiet. We'd booked 'superior' and the room was quite large and clean, had plenty of storage space and was well looked after when we were there. One of the few hotels we've been in recently that actually followed the stated 'environmental policy', i.e. they actually didn't change the towels if you hung them up. The bed was on the soft side and, as often the case in Europe, the pillows far too soft; they provided a harder one but it wasn't much better. There's a well stocked, if expensive, minibar and one free bottle of water per stay (how generous). They provided a Nespresso machine in the room - not great if you actually want tea. There is no air conditioning, which is clearly stated on their website, but the ceiling fan was good and quiet enough to be left on overnight if needed.
Our flight out wasn't until the evening and they extended check-out till 5 for 30 Euros, which was not unreasonable.
A mark of 3 may be a little harsh, but I certainly expected better at the price.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Geoffy
New York
Reviewed 26 June 2013 via mobile

Given the brand reputation, I guess I expected a lot more from this hotel. You'll pay for the location - it's in an amazing, central location for exploring the city. But everything else about this hotel is average.

I don't speak any German at all and felt like a burden to the hotel reception staff. I travel a lot and I'm fairly self-sufficient so I don't think my questions/inquires were all that demanding. (Where to park, needing extra towels, directions to a restaurant). I have traveled in many countries and other parts of Germany where language was also an issue - so in comparison, I think this just comes down to dull customer service.

My room was tiny, outdated and had a musty odor. It also was directly above the outdoor patio area which, as other reviewers have noted, was extremely loud. Insulation and soundproofing are non-existent. Thankfully the bar area shut down at around 1030pm each night of my stay.

I can't say for sure that I would stay here again. Maybe? My overall 'very good' rating is simply due to the awesome location.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Alwaystravel29
Zagreb, Croatia
Reviewed 1 June 2013

I stayed two nights in the hotel. The location is just next to the entrance to famous Sanssouci - former summer palace of Prussian kings - German rival of Versailles. The breakfast offer was good as well as the service of restaurant staff. However, the reception staff was not very helpful. Although the check in is 2pm, I needed to wait until after 3pm to get my room. I expected free wifi internet access and was dissapointed. One hour internet access - 4,5 EUR.
Rooms are clean but rather small and dark.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business