“Pepto Bismol Pink and Hanging Plungers Make for a Great Stay”

Superbude St. Georg
Ranked #56 of 321 Hotels in Hamburg
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Everything about this hotel was perfect for us. It was easy to get to using public transportation from the airport. Get off at Berliner Tor and turn right, it’s a quick walk to the hotel from the Berliner Tor. It’s also a simple walk into city center from the hotel. The staff was knowledgeable, professional and seemed as happy to work there as we were to stay.

Even the contrived quirkiness of a frat house for adults added to the fun. Yes, the walls were Pepto- Bismol pink but not too many people staying at this hotel seem to be carving out time to meditate on various shades of pink and how they mixed with a purpler pinks. The décor was the basic repurposing of whatever one could find in a hardware store and they were very creative. Kudos. Who would have thought that a toilet plunger could be a rack or that a mousetrap would be a keen way to hang pamphlets? They spent money where it should be spent; on plumbing, comfortable beds and bedding.

If I had one concern for anyone staying here, it would be the height of the beds. They were low to the ground. The beds were comfortable, the linen was fastidiously clean, as was, the rest of the room but the beds in our room were low to the ground it could have been because this was the family room we were given, even though there were only two of us. It would be great for a family with children.

Frühstück was good and plentiful.

For the price and convenience, it’s the best deal in town.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SDMcGee

Reviewed 23 April 2012

It was based on other tripadvisor reviews that we decided to stay at Superbude during our recent stay in Hamburg. Near the U, groceries and restaurants - Superbude is a destination in itself. Creative atmosphere, friendly staff, vibrant rooms complete with locking cabinets, and a great price. The even have a healthy breakfast buffet each morning (additional cost) as well as a bar, snacks, wifi, laundry...and a cinema. I highly recommend to budget travelers, couples and as well as families. Plus - if you remotely like "funky poodle" - you'll LOVE Superbude!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 February 2012

We are late in posting, we stayed in the Blue room for 2 nights from 26 October 2010 and could not fault it. To compare it to a Premier Inn is unbelievable and I am sure they would feel the same.

When we stayed Mings Heroes performed in the lounge and it was a great evening.

Within walking distance to all the good restaurants and City Centre.

The breakfast was great so what if you are asked to clear your table, it is only a request.

The rooms a spotless and I hope to return again some day.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 December 2011

We stayed for a short 3-day stay in Hamburg and decided to stay in the superbude after some great reviews on tripadvisor and we were not disappointed. It is already almost a year ago that we stayed but I still wanted to make sure I leave some good feedback here as it is well deserved!

Pluspoints are the good size rooms, good bathrooms and cleanliness throughout, all with a stylish unexpected touch. The rooms are also nice n warm in the freezing last Winter in Hamburg.

Breakfast is a buffet self serve in the shared area just off the entrance lobby. Nice german bread and rolls as well as fresh eggs and coffee, really enjoyed it. The service is good also with great tips given by the very friendly staff at the reception. Amazing value for money also.

Only downside is the location if you are not well heeled, it is a good 10-15mins walk from the main train station. We arrived by rental car and guest parking is available right opposite the hostel.

If you are looking for no-nonsense fun young affordable place to stay in Hamburg, this is it!

Room Tip: Choose one on the upper floors.
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2011

Not too bad a place to stay. Out of town but underground is a 10 minute walk. Pretty cool place, we liked that they were trying to be a bit different. We stayed in a standard double, which was as it says. A good option

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 November 2011

You will either love or hate the Superbude.
I have to admit, when I checked in, I hated it.
I was travelling alone for business, had been booked in by someone at my company, had been on the go since 6 am. All I wanted was room service, a hot bath and a film on TV. None of which were available.
I have to confess to desperately trying to find another hotel before I unpacked. The pure basicness of the decor, the colour, the beer crate furniture, the mousetraps on the wall,beloved by other reviewers, along with the view of the junk yard and trainline opposite were all a bit too quirky for me!
There is nowhere to eat nearby - so I had to get a train up to Hauptbahnhof. Once I was there I was fine, but I would rather have stayed local. On the second night I ventured to the Christmas markets. The only food available in the Superbude is 'junk food', pizzas and the like - microwaved yourself, or delivered. There is a reasonably priced bar, which is a plus point.
Despite the proximity to the main road and the trains, there was little noise, so I slept well. The bed was comfortable, the room warm enough, and the shower was hot and powerful.
Breakfast was interesting, a cold buffet (with boiled eggs the only hot food), but there was plenty of choice; however the 'quirkiness' continues with guests being asked to clear their own tables and load the dishwasher.
My initial reaction was due to my normal expectaions of a 'business hotel'. I hadn't been warned that the Superbude was not, by any stretch of the imagination, such a hotel. However, it does represent great value for money, not on a par with the Premier Inns in the UK, but good value never the less. It was clean and comfortable, and the staff polite and helpful, so I can't mark it down, even if it was not what I was expecting.
Will I go back? I will probably be booked in again some time by my company, but will be ready for it this time!

Room Tip: Don't go for the pink - unless you REALLY like pink. It was too much! Room 304 (and presumably...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank LindseyG66
Reviewed 23 November 2011

Someone smart took the things that are great about both hotels and hostels and combined them. The result is as clean, safe and comfortable as you'd expect from a hotel, with the vibe, design and value for money you'd find in a hostel.

My first reaction when entering the building was to take pictures of the many ideas that went into designing it. While this place is pretty basic as far as furniture in the rooms is concerned, the beds and table are clever, creative and colourful, the seat is made from Astra beer crates, and several other details about the room left me with a wide grin on my face.

They don't have a minibar, but staff at reception will be happy to sell you all kinds of drinks and snacks, including healthy stuff like apples, oranges, tangerines and even carrots - your vitamin fix for only 30 or 50 cents. Wifi's free, too!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends