“misleading photos, dirty rooms, no AC, terrible smell”
Review of Hotel Condor

Hotel Condor
Ranked #257 of 317 Hotels in Hamburg
Stockholm, Sweden
“misleading photos, dirty rooms, no AC, terrible smell”
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Booked this hotel via booking.com, totally misleading photos... arrived at around 21 in the evening and the hotel door was closed. there was a note on the door only in german and very very bad english which we didn't understand anyway (asked people about it) saying that we had to go to another hotel 500 meters away to check in and get the keys and come back!!! Anyway, after all this we came back and entered into the hotel... disasterous! bad smell, very very old hotel, very tiny and high stairs, no elevator, the room was tiny, and smelled bad.. the bathroom was dirty, the soad had dropped on the floor, the bath curtain was dirty... we felt like there was no oxygen in the room, we felt that even more when we went out of the hotel and got some fresh air....I usually don't bother writing reviews but this one was really bad so I am helping you: don't book this hotel!

spend your money somewhere else!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank tangoo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Coimbra, Portugal
Reviewed 14 December 2012

The reviews on here are not too recent but still had me a little concerned about this hotel. I should not have worried though as it proved to be an excellent choice for our short break in Hamburg. We had a little difficulty finding the hotel as the sign was not very obvious but once inside we were warmly greeted by the receptionist.

The hotel is small and the only facility offered is the free wi-fi which is available in the lobby. Our bedroom on the 3rd floor was ensuite and very small. We were not planning on moving in or throwing a party though so it was more than adequate for our stay of 4 nights. Breakfast was taken at the nearby Hotel Eden or could also have been at the Capri Restaurant. On the recommendation of the receptionist we chose the Eden and were very satisfied. The breakfast room was a little cramped especially at the weekend but the choice from the buffet and the service from the staff were both excellent.

This hotel is ideally situated for the main station, buses and underground and within a very short distance of the main shopping street.

It is probably worth noting that there are no staff on duty in this hotel between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. and that when they leave they also turn off the lift. That night not be so much fun if you have to climb four floors after a heavy night out? The three different receptionists that we met were all very pleasant, friendly, very helpful and spoke excellent English. Particular thanks to Herr Asnan for all his help and an insight into life in Germany.

I would recommend this hotel for amyone taking a short break in Hamburg and do not be too concerned about reviews commenting adversely on the area around the hotel. This is very close to the main station and as in any other city it is a magnet for some of the less desirable folk but at no time did we ever feel unsafe here.

Room Tip: The lift only works from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m so you should take that into account. Also it only works u...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Stayed in a room with shar bathroom - these room are situated on a basement floor, which I weird. Bathrooms at very clean. Breakfastis really good with great choice

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank NikitaPG
Paris, France
Reviewed 28 July 2011

It was my first time at the Hotel Condor. I normally try to stay near the Hauphbanhof in Hamburg since it's central and easy to get to and from the airport by S-Bahn. The Condor is steps away from the station. The room was comfortable, quiet, the staff friendly and helpful and the breakfast was ample. It was not the best breakfast I've had in Germany, but it was good. The area is typical of hotels near a train station, but at no time did I feel unsafe. You can cross the street and be on one of the most beautiful pedestrian shopping streets in Hamburg. A good price in a terrific location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back side to avoid any noise
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank AtlStew
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 10 May 2011

Stayed at Hotel Condor for two nights. Room (twin) was on the small side but still comfortable. Bathroom was a bit tight, but at least the decent shower was a bonus.

The hotel is close to the main station and a metro stop, but also a shady part of town. We didn't encounter too many problems, other than a couple of local drunks, but some might feel a little unsafe particularly at night. Let's just say the hotel isn't exactly the kind of destination suitable for a romantic city break, unless you and your partner enjoy knocking shops and local brass hanging around street corners.

However, for a group of friends demanding little more than a place to sleep and decent connections to livelier then this hotel served it's purpose.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank begleco
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2010

The hotel is in a crime ridden area, the reception area closes at night with people trying to get in, no internet apart from hallway with 2 chairs, breakfast basic and grumpy staff. Location only 2 mins from the main station, all in all a very poor place to stay.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Parkhurst111

Travellers are raving about these Hamburg hotels

Oslo
Reviewed 15 April 2010

I chose this hotel for its vicinity to the central station. I've been to many major cities and observed some shady downtown areas, but this was beyond even my imagination. Drugdeals were taking place on the street outside the hotel, there was a huge, fresh pool of blood on the stairway, and further down the street I saw prostitutes of all ages.

In the short walk to reach the hotel, I encountered several stoned and aggressive people who followed me, and there were several foreign youth gangs. This is not a friendly neighborhood. Nor was the staff very friendly, and the room did not look anything like the pictures they advertise with. On top of that, the staff was unfriendly, and I caught a glimpse of the kitchen, which was very unclean.

For those thinking, it's only a place to sleep, I had a non-refundable booking arrangement, but I gladly chose to leave the hotel after staying for only 20 minutes and hearing a lot of screaming outside - and this was before dark. Also, I have been told the police don't work after six in the evening, which doesn't add to your sense of security.

Finally, when I checked out, another unfortunate guest was in the reception. He had made a reservation, but the receptionist said they were out of rooms. I offered the guy to take my room free of charge, as it has been prepaid, but the receptionist would have none of it. He was threatening us both and would rather place the new guest in another hotel than give him my room. In my many travels, I've never met such a greedy and non-service oriented individual as this character.

In short, stay away from this place. Don't let the central location be your reason for choosing this hotel, and consider whether it is actually worth to risk your life to save a few euros or dollars.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo