“Second Visit... As Good as I Had Remembered”

Uhlenhorster Weinstube
Ranked #174 of 3,932 Restaurants in Hamburg
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Diner, Gastropub, Wine Bar
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Uhlenhorst
Description: Good wine, german kitchen......and a comfortable atmosphere awaits you at our wine restaurant. We will treat you in Uhlenhorst, a district of Hamburg, with regularly changing seasonal specialities from Germany and offer some famous traditional food like Wiener Schnitzel, cheese fondue and a large variety of Flammkuchen (tarte flambee alsacestyle).You will sit at our cosy tiled stove during the wintertimes with a lovley glass of wine or a cold beer from tap at our pleasant tables outside in the summer.We are looking forward to seeing you!
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

After my first visit, I was sure I would come back when my significant other was in town.

The whole experience lived up to the high standard set by my previous visit. The staff are welcoming, particularly making an effort to help translate and explain the specials.

A bustling locals' restaurant, with lots of great food on the menu. Can not recommend the Flammkuche enough, particularly with the Emmenthal and ham.

The wine is excellent (weinstube means Wine Bar), always nice to try a couple of different wines by the carafe.

Would highly recommend. Probably my favourite restaurant in Hamburg!

1  Thank jwa2

Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

It was our first night in hamburg and because we were really tired we were looking for a place near our hotel. Following tripadvisor, we decided to try this restaurant. When we arrived there, it was completly full, but we decided to wait outside even if it was january.the waiter gave us some blankets so we did not feel the cold at all. And the food was worth the wait: really good german food! As the main course, We had the typical german pizza, half with honey and goat cheese and half with cheese and onion and the spareribs, which are the special dish of the day on wednesday. Everythig was really great and also the service was amazing. The waiter translated all the dishes in english (he went to take the dictionary when he couldn't remember a word) and was extremely helpful and nice. Definitely a place where we would like to go back!

4  Thank AntoP83
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Found this gem on trip advisor before taking the chance and booking on the night last weekend. We were incredibly lucky to find a table available on telephoning ahead as recommended.. When we got there every table was reserved! Fantastic local fare. We sampled the local speciality of a baked bacon/onion and cheese flan - a super light pizza like creation. Really tasty. Special of the day was goose breast - cooked superbly. Deserts included a gluhwein jelly, Apple ice cream and apricots. Delicious. With really friendly staff in an atmospheric small setting with a beautifully arranged seasonally decorated entrance. A true highlight of our visit to this lovely city.

2  Thank Alun H
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

Worth booking as it's not huge. Online booking worked fine. Everything we ordered was delicious from the lentil and salmon salad to the Tarte Flambee. Very nice Zweigelt red wine and yummy dessert wines. Good service. Three courses with Cremant d'Alsace aperitif, half a litre of Zweigelt, a couple of large glasses of dessert wine, and a beer came to 100 euros with tip. Quite frankly we felt that was money well spent. Great desserts and a helpful waitress who spoke some English!! Would go back.

1  Thank CarolineLanc
Reviewed 23 October 2013

This restaurant was a bit of out my way, but I was searching for some good, authentic German food to try, I'd read the reviews and decided it was the place for me.... and I wasn't disappointed.

When I arrived the restaurant looked exactly like the photos suggest, cozy with a homely feeling. The host was very welcoming, I had turned up relatively early, so didn't struggle to get a table - but a bit later on in the evening it got quite busy!

Speaking no German myself, this didn't seem to be a problem. The host was very friendly, and got me a drink whilst I looked through the menu. A young lady turned up to translate the daily specials menu for me - which she did with great accuracy... although she did get tripped-up by one dish when she didn't know what the translation for "Brussels sprouts" were :-)

Asking the waitress for her advice, she suggested I try a Flammkuchen, as it was a specialty of the restaurant. I did, and was very happy - to oversimplify it, it's a bit like a pizza without the tomato sauce (and a very, very thin base). Plenty of local wines to choose from!

One word of warning for the Brits. The references to "lard" on the menu are not a mistranslation of butter, it's genuinely lard! Not an issue, but worth noting up-front.

It's quite a walk from work (around the Binnenalster), but it was well worth the effort. Working up an appetite.

If you're going to walk. I would recommend stopping off in St. Georg to try out a local bar. A couple of real gems down there, where you can sample the local beers.

2  Thank jwa2