“Liked it, could do with a concierge”
Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
Ranked #39 of 319 Hotels in Hamburg
London
“Liked it, could do with a concierge”
Reviewed 13 April 2012

We had a flying visit to Hamburg to go to the Opera, and liked the George a lot. Room was fine, beds comfy, great design and the bar was fab - reasonably priced and delicious wine and food even post theatre.

The only thing I would say is that reception weren't totally consistent - I asked for a lunch recommendation and they simply told us to turn right out of the hotel - which was true, there were plenty of cafes in easy walking distance. But it was sleeting, we weren't in the city for long and the people next to me received a long list of places to go. We found somewhere we liked on our own, and it's only the smallest of niggles, but when you're in a city for 24 hours it would have been great to get a little bit 'more' - what I actually wanted was a totally fabulous restaurant to treat my husband to lunch in, as the trip was his Christmas present. A beer and a pork knuckle the size of my head just down the street made him happy, and to be honest if I'd had time I could have done my own city research.

All staff were friendly and warm and when we were stuck for cash for taxis as our cards weren't working in German ATMs, they simply added it to our hotel bill and gave us the euros, which was a nice helpful touch.

And if Opera's your thing, the Statsoper was amazing - fabulous 70's building, seats from 4€.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Julofromtheblock

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Polish first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I stayed at The George using a Design Hotel Upgrade promotion (130 Euros per night). The room was very nice, although it did not feel like an upgrade. Breakfast was included and the buffet does not leave any room for improvement. Great quality. The hotel is in St. Georg, which is a nice neighborhood. Plenty of cafes within walking distance. It took me about 20 min walking to Old Town/City Centre, and about 30min to Hafen City. There's also a bus stop right in front of the hotel. Downside: no real gym or spa.

One minus: one of the receptionsist could not answer any of my questions (how much is a taxi to the airport, where is a good sushi restaurant, etc.). And since there is no Concierge, knowledgeable front desk staff is essential.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Turin, Italy
Reviewed 13 March 2012

My 1st time in Hamburg, and at The George. Great reception, with several rooms very nicely furnished. All charming, and warm. Soft lights everywhere (maybe the elevator too dark). Rooms: elegant and big enough. Bathroom: I love the open shower (no glasses or similar hurdles). All very clean. Excellent. Free wifi everywhere.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed 26 January 2012

nice hotel, friendly staff, good location. been there several times over the last 3 months, rooms are off course a matter of personal taste, i like them . experienced some airco regulation challenges one of the nights, too hot. bar nice but a bit overpriced. nice little design details. cool
but not overcrowded.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Oslo
Reviewed 25 December 2011

Best Hotel ever til now?? Just tried the room, bar and welcome at Front Desk.
Beautiful details in room, amenities and design. True design hotel and good service.

Not much more to say. Just stay there when you have the chance.

Room Tip: Choose the smallest rooms.. They are huge.. or jump over next level to a suite. The M size rooms are...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2011

This was my first trip to Hamburg so I wasn't sure what to expect but my stay at The George was a great part of the overall experience. When I arrived, the receptionist told me she didn't have my reservation. Apparently there had been some miscommunication on the phone when I booked and they had held a room for me the night before. I said I had definitely asked for the Sunday (not the Saturday) and she said; 'That's no problem at all, I'll just change your booking and get you a room for tonight instead. Also, it's a cheaper rate as you're staying on a Sunday rather than a Saturday.'
What a great way to start my stay! Not only did she find me a new room without charging me for the previous night's cancellation, she also gave it to me at the discounted rate for a Sunday. The room was very big with a really cozy atmosphere and the shower was fantastic. I wandered out to find a place to eat and found myself on Lange Reihe, a great street with lots of shops, cafes and restaurants.
Overall, the hotel was gorgeous with friendly service and luxurious rooms, all for a great price and in a fantastic location. Would definitely recommend!

Room Tip: I stayed in 400 and it was great.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2011

Reasonably priced if booked early / breakfast at EURO 18 appears on the high side / great bar with prices that appear on the high side / no air conditioning since "it is winter" which did not really help since we could not open the window due to street noise and very heavy winds. Apart from that, a great atmosphere, very relaxed.

Room Tip: M-rooms facing the back are quieter, although more expensive but got a king size bed
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple