“A pretty good stay but the parking...”

Lindner Park-Hotel Hagenbeck
Ranked #25 of 319 Hotels in Hamburg
Reviewed 13 October 2012

This is the second time I stayed at this hotel. Again for one night and again for business. Last time I had the luck to have a room away from the street. This time I experienced the traffic noise that goes on almost the entire night. Certainly a recommendation to ask for a room away from the street. (as many others have also recommended)

The Africa/Asia theme is nice for family and zoo visitors, but doesn't do me much as a business traveller. Still the overall look of the hotel is classy and well taken care off.

The rooms are good, although the temperature, this time, was a little on the high side and trying to get the temperature down seems to be impossible. The beds are good, although mine probably needs to be replaced soon. It felt as if I was rolling toward the outside of the bed. The rooms are well equiped, with a tea maker, minibar, save and TV with many different channels (incl a few international) The bathroom is nice a spacy.

I came in early enough to opt for eating dinner in the hotel restaurant. The menu is not too big and has some good choises. I ordered a special and have to say that it tasted good. But, the food wasn't really hot. It was warm, but not hot. The service was excellent and the desert wonderful.

The only major negative I have is the parking. After paying for the room, dinner and breakfast, they charge you for the parking. I don't consider that is good hospitality. Charge guests (visitors) that just come in for a drink or a meal, but don't charge guest stay overnight. Just give them a free exit card for the hotel parking garage.

All in all a good hotel and certainly one I will return to the next time I am in Hamburg.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Lindner Park-Hotel Hagenbeck

Reviewed 20 September 2012

The Hotel is close to the Hagenbeck Zoo. Every room design is special design, e.g. zebra design or elefant. Bikes are free to rent. You will wake up with wild live noise.
This hotel has some special offeres with free Zoo entrance.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 September 2012

Interesting place. every floor was designed as different continent. very nice service, quite good price for this king of standard but.....there is no free internet in the room, you have to pay extra 8 euro per day, food in restaurant in day one was really bad....dry meat, soup like from cartoon from shop..nothing special for really high prices, another meal we had was much better, but nothing to be remebered. hotel is situated outside the town, around 18-20 euro by taxi to get to the town

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 August 2012

I stayed at this hotel for two nights while on business. It was conveniently located for the company I was visiting. The hotel's about 15 minutes by car from the airport. When booking the hotel I asked for a price of a room including breakfast and was told, in no uncertain terms, that all prices were exclusive at the breakfast would be charged at EUR 17 per day. I'm still not sure why they just can't say "room with breakfast costs X" but this hotel won't do that. On completing the reservation for the room (online) I was then given a number of "upselling" options, which included breakfast, internet, meal packages, etc.. I selected breakfast and the total price for the two nights (Sunday & Monday) came to just under EUR 260. So, you can book with breakfast but you have to go through the "upsell" process. On getting the reservation confirmation I got another "exclusive offer for you" "upsell". It was something like a suite. I declined. I did book a business class room instead of an economy room although I was uncertain from the website what the difference would be (I asked at check-out and the answer was "on the side of the hotel away from the road and there's tea & coffee making facilities in the room, so hardly "business class"!). Check-in was efficient and I was allocated a room "in Africa". The hotel is next to the zoo and is themed. Different floors have different themes, and my floor's was Africa. Could take it or leave it at a business hotel to be honest. The room was medium-sized, certainly not large. Flat-screen TV, desk, poor lighting. I overlooked a roof (was on 1st floor) and on to some appartment blocks. It was quiet enough except at 6am in the morning when the first aircraft came in to the airport. I had to close the windows (there is aircon but I prefer fresh air). I slept well and was not aware of significant external noise or noise from other rooms. The bathroom was average: a small sink, a bath with a shower head above (no shower cubicle). The hotel advertises WIFI but you have to pay, It's EUR 10 a day. I measured about 6mbps but still couldn't reliably stream video. You pay for the internet via your TV and, like booking, there are "upselling" options (e.g. internet and movies). I just bought internet and was surprised that this appears as "PAY TV" on your bill (there is a big difference on a business bill between "PAY TV" and "Internet Access". Breakfast was fine. A big selection, not that I take a large breakfast. There were a number of families taking breakfast (it was school holiday season). I suspect there might be cheaper packages. In the evening I ate at the hotel's restaurant. I took the 200g rump steak at EUR 27 (!). The menu is very limited when it comes to main courses and is overly-complicated when it comes to types of potatoe, etc.. The steak was cooked more than the requested medium and was fatty. Not good for the price. The vegetables were served in some sauce; all just too complicated. Unfortunately, there are not many other options around the hotel to eat. At check out the person fired off a few questions and, on hearing "minibar" I said "no". The whole experience was very impersonal and, after I has paid, I noticed EUR 6 for water on my bill. I immediately queried this but was told, rudely, that I would now have to wait my turn as someone else was being served and that I had clearly been asked if I'd had water. So, I had to wait five minutes and then was told (as if it were a favour) that the EUR 6 would be credited back, which it was (5 minutes later). I suggested that the receptionist speak more clearly as when you hear "blah blah minibar" you just say "no". By the way, I didn't park at the hotel. They charge a lot for that too but you can just park on the street (plenty of spaces). In summary, I'm not sure why I couldn't warm to this hotel. I think every encounter I was met with some "upselling" or some arrogance. There was a lack of the personal touch (the restaurant staff are just over-trained and there's far too much "sehr gerne" ("your welcome" "gladly"). Will I stay there again? I will be visiting the area quite a lot on business and I don't know yet. I will certainly see what else there is to offer before booking.

Room Tip: Not sure how noisy the road is but a "business class" room gets you on the other side.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank eurocross
Reviewed 11 July 2012

I stayed at this hotel from 7/7/12 - 7/9/12. I found this hotel to be an excellent value for the money.

Pros
- Location is outside of the city in a quiet residential area. Nice for evening walks
- Next to the Hagenbeck Zoo and Aquarium
- 2 blocks from the Hagenbeck train station which is about 15 minutes from downtown
- Rooms were very modern with an African / Asian theme thats not overdone and campy. Nice size bathroom, plenty of storage space, mini fridge, coffee maker, flat screen TV
- Some rooms like the one I stayed in have balconies with double glass doors. You can move the room chairs outside for some food and wine in the evening. Hotel was exceptionally clean.
- Workout and sauna room available
- Downstairs bar, restaurant, and lounging area with a fireplace
- Staff was very friendly, and spoke great English which was a plus. I speak bad German

Cons
- Restaurant and bar was a little pricey. Breakfast buffet was 17 Euros
- Underground parking is convenient but expensive at 17 Euro's per day. A better option is to park on the neighborhood street next to the hotel
- WiFi is available but not free as mentioned in some other reviews
- There are only a handful of small bars and restaurants in the area. There is a grocery across the street from the train station but be aware most everything is closed on Sundays. Try the small french restaurant in the neighborhood behind the hotel

Overall this hotel was excellent, especially for the price. if you don't mind a short trek by train to the city for a day of sightseeing and shopping this is the place in Hamburg. You could stay at something nice in the city but be prepared to spend a lot more.

Room Tip: Ask for a non-smoking room with a balcony. I had one that faced the street. The street noise was min...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2012

A very nice hotel with African and Asian rooms. We like the lobby which is full of Indonesian furnitures. We're from Asia, so it made us feel more 'homely'. Room was nice and clean.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 May 2012

Nice hotel in good location in Hamburg, Germany. Just around the famous Zoo and only a couple of minutes to the city rail. The hotel is 'themed' as it is near the Zoo.
Fresh, modern and friendly but not outstanding. Restaurant just above average. Expensive. Wifi free. Although 'themed', it shows cold ambiance. No separate shower in bathroom, architect does not seem to be a typical hotel expert. Chef declined to server special menu for a party of 10, the typical German white aspargus on the day when the aspargus season started. No similar hotel around. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for facing the Zoo, not the road. Ask for separate shower in bathroom.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple