“Clean, central place to stay in Hamburg”

Holiday Inn Express Hamburg - St. Pauli Messe
Ranked #67 of 321 Hotels in Hamburg
Reviewed 10 May 2012 via mobile

This Holiday Inn Express is wonderfully located a short 2 min from famous Reeperbahn as well as from the subway. It's a very new hotel and it shows: the rooms are very clean, not worn down, but not made for a resort vacation. The beds are fine and the showers huge (for Europe).

Downside is the service. I've stayed here several times, it's always been an unnecessarily long wait for check-in, staff is unattentive. Once, even though half a dozen people were waiting for a cab in front of the hotel, they were unable or unwilling to call the cab company.

Tip: visit the bar at fancy, stylish East hotel right next door - fabulous!

Pros: Location, cleanliness, baths.

+-0: Beds (kind of hard), breakfast.

Cons: Service, no gym, room size.

• Stayed: May 2012
4  Thank HDYankee
HIEx_Guest_Service, Leiter Front Office at Holiday Inn Express Hamburg - St. Pauli Messe, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2012

Dear HD Yankee,

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay at our Holiday Inn Express Hamburg-St. Pauli Messe. I am delighted to hear that our rooms and the location met your expectations.

I would like to apologize for the slow service you experienced during your stay. I understand that you have had a long day before reaching the hotel and that you were eager to settle into your room. I can only assume that my colleagues’ attention was focused on helping another guest, which is why they appeared to be inattentive.

I hope you accept my apology and are willing to give us another chance to convince you that we can do better the next time you visit Hamburg.

Kind Regards,

Fabienne Mueller
Guest Service Manager

Reviewed 8 April 2012

If you are looking for no mess no fuss accommodation, this is it. It feels fresh and clean. Like any modern hotel, the rooms are on the small size but it is adequate. Great bathroom. The area is interesting, it is very near some great local restaurants and pubs, plus only a block away from the subway, so very convenient.

Room Tip: Try to get rooms on the side of the hotel that is not the entrance side as the road is fairly busy...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank vuvuzela
Reviewed 3 April 2012

We stayed for 3 nights and overall we were very pleased with the hotel.

First impressions were good, the hotel is modern and clean and the reception staff are very friendly, helpful and speak excellent English, which was good as my German isn't the best!

The rooms are a good size, and the bathroom has a really nice big shower. I personally found the bed a little too firm and it was on the small side, although I did sleep ok and firmness is a personal preference. Minor issues were that the maid didn't replace mugs that had been used, and one day we didn't have any towels but reception very quickly sorted this for us. The hotel has a policy that if you are happy to re-use your towels to hang them up, and even though we did this they were still replaced with fresh ones. These are very minor issues that did not impact on our stay at all.

Breakfast is excellent and is included in the price. It's a continental style with a selection of various breads, meats, cheese, fruit and cereals. All a very good quality. They did run short of some items on our final morning but this was at their busiest time, and they were always re-stocking the food. The breakfast is served from 6.30-11.00am at weekends and until 10.30 on weekdays. I really liked this as it's nice not to have to get up too early when you are on a break!

There is a small bar in the reception area which we used on a few occasions. While the prices are slightly higher than other bars, it wasn't overly expensive as you can often find in hotels. You are served by reception staff and they are all great people - especially Tobias - what a great guy!!

The hotel is 2 minutes walk from the St Pauli U-Bahn station which is a great way to get around the city. You are also only a few minutes walk from the Reeperbahn which while not to everyones taste is a great place for a night out with plenty of places to eat.

I would recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JoE615
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Near to metro, clean rooms, no bar or facilities to speak of but you get a spotless room with a comfortable crisp bed and a shiny bathroom with superb water pressure.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank charlesp
Reviewed 4 March 2012

It is your basic holiday inn express and is a great hotel. Was also really close the the U-Bahn and around 30mins walk to the centre. However I think I would try a city centre hotel next time as not much in the area if you do not like the sex industry or the football team

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank srm1977
Reviewed 20 January 2012

This is the second time I am staying in this hotel after the good experience I had while staying there last march. Service is excellent and staff is very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was good. Location is just 2 minutes walk to Hamburg’s famous Reeperbahn St. where you can find very good restaurants, Cafes and other things to do… one thing that they should improve is their internet speed, and it is very slow. I also wrote this in my last review about this hotel. I will stay in this hotel again in my next visits in Hamburg.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Moreno132
HIEx_Guest_Service, Leiter Front Office at Holiday Inn Express Hamburg - St. Pauli Messe, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2012

Dear Moreno132,

thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay at out Holiday Inn Express Hamburg-St. Pauli Messe again. It always delights us to read the opinions from guests returning to the hotel.

I am sorry to hear that the internet connection was quite slow during both of your stays. We will continue to work on improving this issue. I am, however, very glad that our service and offers met your expectations and we are looking forward to welcoming you again.

Kind Regards,
Fabienne Mueller

Reviewed 8 January 2012

The receptionist required payment in advance, something quite odd in my opinion. After seeing the room, besides small, I agreed to it - aprox. 80 per night - sounded somehow fair. It proved to be a bad choice: bad was not comfortable at all, and the water system was not independent from the shower, so if you are showering and someone is using the sink, you can be seriously burned by the water temperature change. Still on the bathroom, water was leaking from both sink and shower, because of a poor sealing on the pipes.
Breakfast was fair, except for the fact that the juice glasses were as small as 100ml, and it's quite a challenge to access the juice machine.
The only reason why I wouldn't rate it poor is because it decently blocks street noise - although it's really close to the main street, you can sleep quietly.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple