Holiday Inn Express Hamburg - St. Pauli Messe
Official Site
US$151
Preferred Hotels
  • Restaurant
All reviewsboiled eggsreeperbahn arearoom doorhomeless peopleshort walkexcellent locationnight lifetea and coffeehigh floortwin roomwalk in showergood sizebooked this hotelper daycentral locationdecent hotelharbour
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Stayed for 8 days and felt lucky to have chosen this hotel,having also looked at a lot of other
hotels.The hotel is in an exellent position for all major transport links,the Underground is just about a 100yds away; we actually used it to return to the Airport. You do have to be careful though as the line splits into two directions and only the first three carriages carry on to the Airport. For Taxi fare allow roughly Eu25 Airport to Hotel.
Everything has been superbly expressed by the many contributors,so I will only briefly mention a few points important for a pleasant stay: Beds comfortable and frequently changed, lovely
walk-in shower, on rather quiet road, lovely coffee of your choice from excellent machine, but above all friendly efficient staff, with a special mention for the breakfast room staff who unobtrusively and pleasantly clear away never ending dishes and left-overs.I hope you will relate my praise to them, the young man always had a smile and cheery Good Morning for me.

My favourite place was of course the harbour and working docks, to see huge ships (the Queen Mary docked in the Uebersee quarter of Hafen City that Week-End) majestically sailing up the
Elbe, to see container ships loaded up to the hilt and huge cranes stretching as far as the eye can see. All this you can see from the quayside, stroll along the little bars or restaurants or even better take a ride on a ferry boat (free with Hamburg Card) The hotel is very convenient for using the Underground to Landungsbruecken/Landing Bridges just 1 or 2 stops or you can walk it in about 15 to 20 mins leisurely.
I would certainly stay there again. If you want Luxury you would have to pay a lot more.

Room Tip: As has been mentioned, rooms facing the back are quieter but allow for time of the year e.g.hols,stag parties or special matches etc.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
HIEx_Guest_Service, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hamburg - St. Pauli Messe, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Lisa H,

thank you for choosing our Holiday Inn Express Hamburg-St. Pauli Messe and taking the time to review your experience.

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found everything you needed within the area. I will pass on your kind words to our kitchen staff, I am sure that they are much appreciated!

We would be delighted to welcome you again!

Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed in a double ensuite room for 4 nights. The room was not large but met my needs. Wifi worked fine, it was quiet and the location of the hotel near the St Pauli station meant easy access to Hamburg's excellent train system. There is a canteen like breakfast room which works efficiently given the large number of guests. Staff were friendly and helpful at all times. Would definitely stay here again if I want to be based in St Pauli. Like all red light districts in the Internet age St Pauli is fading away and the actual red light strip reduced to just one strip. No real security issues.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Sydsolo

Dear Sydsolo,

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found everything you needed within the area. We would certainly be happy to welcome you again!

Reviewed 12 June 2014

The hotel is situated 1 street away from the "red mile", but do not let is scare you. The location is actually quiet and convenient if you decide to buy stuff (snacks or drinks) at night or on public holidays. (Maybe not the best location for children though... to see all those colorful lights when exiting the Metro station ;) ). Metro station is close by, and the port about 15-20 walking minutes.

The breakfast buffet is OK for a 3 star hotel. The basics: only boiled eggs, (no bacon :) ), but, as said, perfectly normal for the class. For the price, in Hamburg, it is a real catch!

The Wi-Fi has signal inside the rooms, but was REALLY slow in the evenings.

The only bad policy, in my opinion, is the fact that you cannot have a parking spot reserved for the duration of your stay. The hotel has its own underground parking (15 Euros a day) but, if your leave the garage during your stay, they do not guarantee that you will have a spot when your return in the evening. Not a huge problem since there is an underground garage on the other side of the street too, but still, a lack in my opinion.

Really nice location for a city trip. I recommend the Fish Market on Sunday mornings and "Deichstraße" for good restaurants ( "Ti Breizh" -really interesting crepes, and "Alt Hamburger Aalspeicher" if you want to try yourself on the eel)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
HIEx_Guest_Service, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hamburg - St. Pauli Messe, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Dear HungryLittleGeek,

I would like to apologize for the slow WiFi during the evenings. It is an area that we are seeking to improve quickly.

I understand that it would be more convenient to reserve a parking spot, but as we only have 28 spots available, we wouldn’t be able to commit to a promised parking spot for all guests and it would be unfair to make a promise to some guests but not be able to offer other guests the same service.

Thank you again for your detailed review. I am sure that other tripadvisor users will appreciate your travel tips.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I was pretty-much a regular at this hotel last year before my clients put me up in an apartment in Harvestehude in Hmaburg. I liked this hotel a lot : great & friendly staff, good & clean rooms, good atmosphere, effective wifi with an extra fee.. everything was in harmony. However I returned to this hotel almost after a year and I booked myself for 2 nights on a special tariff in order to avoid paying extra for internet. The internet included in the fee never worked. The network never showed up on my 5th floor room. I called the reception for help and I was advised to come down to the lobby (at about 2300 hours) in order to access the web !!! Incredible !!!

Clearly, the management is giving more weightage to touristic clientele rather than to regular business travelers.

Surely this place has gone down from its impeccable standards... Would certainly reconsider while making a reservation next time.

I returned the unused internet coupons along with my key-cards at the reception telling them about the problem. The reception staff just shrug their shoulders indicating that they cannot do anything about it...

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
HIEx_Guest_Service, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hamburg - St. Pauli Messe, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear Bish-Teo,

thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our Holiday Inn Express Hamburg-St. Pauli Messe.

I am shocked to read about the bad internet experience you had during your last stay. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience and the way the situation was handled. It is not the standard or service we aim to provide.

We appreciate both our holiday guests and our business guests and listen to the feedback we receive. Therefore our WiFi connection is free of charge for all guests since the beginning of May. I sincerely hope that you would consider to stay with us again to give us a chance to show you that we are better than that.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Hi guys
It's been a while since I did a hotel review.
As a group of 22 guys on a weekend stag trip, I honestly wasn't expecting too much in the way of quality or service, seeing as I wasn't in charge of booking.
But this Holiday Inn exceeded expectations on all counts.
The reception staff were friendly, helpful and spoke great English.
This is clean, tidy and very modern hotel, the rooms were very professionally turned out, see my room photo.
"vorsprung Durch technik" although not a literal translation, implies quality....and we found it here in abundance.
In fact everywhere from reception to room bathroom had that brand new show house look and feel about it.
Breakfast, although continental style, was far superior to most, great produce , fantastic coffee, and a huge selection of morning goods.
Location wise, we were exactly where we wanted to be, 2 minute walk from the Reeperbahn, which by the way is the seediest area I have ever been to, but fitted our purpose perfectly, we were on stag weekend after all, but there is far more to Hamburg than that, so if your thinking of going to Hamburg, do your homework and check out the other great areas Hamburg has to offer, we found some great bars and much more, only a short taxi ride away.
Overall a great place to stay for any purpose. And seems to be head and shoulders above its Uk counterparts

Thanks for reading, I always give an honest and unbiased review of the places I visit in the hope you will give me a helpful vote.
A great little stop off on my World Domination Tour, feel free to check out my other reviews also
Bye for now
Ming

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank EmperorMing

Dear EmperorMing,

Thank you very much for the review of your recent stay at our Holiday Inn Express Hamburg-St. Pauli Messe. I am delighted to read that you were happy with our hotel and I am more than happy to pass your kind words on to my colleagues.

I hope you had a fantastic time stag night and consider coming back for the next one!

Kind regards,