“Luxury hotel, but please note extra charges may occur if travelling with children”

Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten
Ranked #3 of 319 Hotels in Hamburg
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 5 March 2012

We had arranged a trip to stay at this hotel for a weekend with our two children (2 and 6 years old) together with some friends. We had through the Leading Hotels of the World (LHW) received a very good offer, which we signed up for. I talked with the phone support on LHW about how to inform the hotel about us bringing two kids and to hear if there was an extra charge for having a baby cot in the room, however was referred to the hotel for an answer. I could see on the webpage that a baby cots and baby cribs (plural) is mentioned under services. The following day when I call the hotel to inform them that the room should have some extra sleeping facility for one of our children (the other currently sleeps in our bed when we are travelling) I am told that I have to book an extra room due to some regulation saying that only three persons can be in a room (not even an upgrade does the trick I am told, firstly). This comes as a bit of a surprise to me. Sometimes you have to pay a fee for having a cot or a crib in the room, but never have I had to buy an extra room. One time I have stayed in a hotel where there were simply no room for an extra person, but this is never a problem with a 5 star hotel and this hotel room also had sufficiently space for an extra bed. Obviously I am a bit dissatisfied with this, but since our friends have already booked a room (and the room we have booked cannot be cancelled) we had to book an extra room.
In conclusion I cannot see that I could have done this differently – when I book a hotel through LHW webpage you cannot specify that you are more than 3 persons and then you inform the hotel afterwards what is required for the children. This has worked perfectly fine when we have stayed with other 5* hotels in Germany (e.g. Hotel Adlon or the Grünewald Schlosshotel), and so I expected this to be the case with Vier Jahreszeiten. When confronting the front desk with my story they say that the fault is on LHW, since they should not have booked the room, which it may be – still I as a customer will be the one paying for this fault. This I do not call proper service and certainly not for a hotel in this category.

Apart from this everything about the hotel is as it should: Nice rooms, accommodating personnel and good breakfast. We also had dinner one evening (with small children) in the Doc Cheng restaurant, which is definitely recommendable also considering the price.
If you are travelling with kids, please note that there is no swimming pool in the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
HVJ_Hamburg, Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2012

Dear guest

Thank you very much for your stay at Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Hamburg and the comments you made during your last stay at Tripadvisor.

We always appreciate it if guests take the time to let us know when they are content with our staff as well as the service.

I was very sorry to hear about your disappointment about your stay and I would like to take the opportunity to express my regrets about not meeting your expectations.

Let me kindly point out, that in our hotel the maximum number of guests is three per room. We offer for our guests baby cots and extra beds. Until the age of 13 the childs stay free of charge in parents guest room (up to maximum of three guests per room). At the age of 14 we charge EUR 40.00 per extra bed per night.

We truly value your patronage and would never take it for granted. It is my sincere hope that this incident does not keep you up from coming back to the Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Hamburg.

With best regards

There are newer reviews for Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten

Reviewed 20 February 2012

We came one weekend in July 2011 and got a room, which was really nice. The bed is always important and the Vier Jahreszeiten has definetly great beds. The room service for the breakfast was amazing. All we wanted we got. A minus is the missing swimming pool. It is not possible because of the static,but you know. I would have expected one. Just a Spa with Sauna. Otherwise it is a nice place to stay. It is really central.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
HVJ_Hamburg, Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2012

Dear guest

Thank you very much for your stay at the Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten and the kind comments at Tripadvisor.

We always appreciate our residents taking the time to let us know when they are content with our staff as well as the service.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again at Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten.

Reviewed 5 January 2012

This is the best Hotel i have ever stayed in, my husband expressed to me. The Staff impart a Soul to this Hotel. The history, furnishings, service and the view of and from this hotel were first class. We wanted to take up residence there.

Room Tip: High rooms with a balcony and view
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
HVJ_Hamburg, Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2012

Dear guest

Your compliments are a great motivation for our employees and we are looking forward to welcoming you again at Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten.

Reviewed 13 December 2011

My husband and I stayed here 5 nights during the middle of October 2011. The weather was perfect, with daytime temperatures in the mid 60s and lows in the evening around 40 degrees Fahrenheit. The trees were vivid orange, red and yellow, set against cerulean skies. The weather brought people out in droves to stroll the lakes, or hang out in the many beautiful plazas. Our beautiful, spacious suite overlooked the lake, which lies in the heart of the city. The hotel is truly grand in the European tradition. The rooms have recently been beautifully remodeled but retain an old-world charm. The service was impeccable, professional, yet amiable at all levels all the time. The dining options are many and are regarded as some of the finest in Hamberg. Unfortunately, the Haerlin, which is the hotel's gourmet restaurant, was closed while we were there. (I am truly disappointed that we were not informed at the time of our booking, nor any mention online, that their fine dining restaurant would be closed while we were there, only to reopen the day after we left. Had I known, we would have adjusted our itinerary.) I have reviewed on tripadvisor some other very fine restaurants in the area, though.) The hotel is a five-minute walk to the city center and shopping, shopping, and more shopping. It's a 15-minute walk with luggage to the train station, but, of course, minutes by taxi. The Hanseatic city of Hamberg is incredibly quaint and charming, full of historical intrigue (Hamberg is the third largest port in Europe), yet modern, cosmopolitan and sparkling clean. The hotel concierge arranged for a private walking tour of Hamberg, which I highly recommend doing early on in your visit to give you the "lay of the land" and to help you determine what you want and have time to do while you're in this magnificent city. Of course, save time to relax in your plush accommodations, or by the fire in the lobby, which were stunningly decorated for the fall season.

Room Tip: We are members of the Fairmont President's Club, which is free to join. Using coupons that are...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
HVJ_Hamburg, Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2011

Reviewed 7 December 2011

This hotel is a true gem in the middle of the city within walking distance to almost all sight seeing and shopping. Beautiful, individually decorated rooms with, if you choose so, great views of the downtown lake. Unfortunately I only stayed for one night but, due to the sincere service and historic ambiance, it was very memorable one. Opted to have dinner in the Haerlin Restaurant shortly after it was awarded it's 2nd Michelin star and the experience was exceptional. One of the best dinners of my life and a must when in staying in the hotel or even only in Hamburg.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 November 2011

Alas, no reservations in Hamburg last week, but I noticed, "yes," "yes" there is a Fairmont in Hamburg, let's go there. Started off rather grim at the front desk, i.e., 2 guys wanting separate rooms in a place with only one inner garden room available. My President's Club card opened things up a bit and ultimately changed this little part of our trip in the most memorable. Two lake front rooms, both of which were exquisitely appointed, top notch service as we were escorted to our rooms by the front desk manager. Cocktails in a tea room that echoed pre-WWII Germany and invited visions of Marlene Dietrich walking in sitting down by the piano player and singing. Corny? I know, but this is just the way it was. Wonderful restaurants on the first floor (Zagats #1in Hamburg). The location on the lake is in the middle of everything. Guest services was extremely helpful in giving us a walking itinerary that took us down by the sea captains's ancient homes and the sailing clubs along the Elbe River (needed to take the subway). All in all this was a great experience for us and is to be highly recommended. I skyped my wife and showed her pics of the room as it looked onto the lake.

Room Tip: Ask for lake front. Even the first floor lake front rooms are exquisite. Be a member of the Fairmo...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
HVJ_Hamburg, Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2011

Dear guest

Thank you very much for the kind comments made during your last stay in our hotel.

Reviewed 8 November 2011

Stayed at the Vier Jahreszeiten only one night, regrettably much too short, but had a wonderful dining experience on the premises. Luncheon in a restored art deco, wood paneled room, with two tiers, and smartly attired staff was by default, as our quartet was weary from traveling. But what a wonderful default it was. Fish preparation and service demonstrated extraordinary skill in the kitchen and in the dining room. Wine pairing could not have been better. Concierge helped with dinner arrangements, printed boarding passes, arranged airport transportation with ease.

Room Tip: A room with a lake view is wonderful. This appears to be a large hotel with other options, so speci...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear guest

Thank you very much for the kind comments made on tripadvisor from your last stay at Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahresezeiten Hamburg.

Your compliments are a great motivation for our employees and we are looking forward to welcoming you again at Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Hamburg.