“ideal location in the city”

Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten
Ranked #2 of 318 Hotels in Hamburg
GreenLeadersGold level
Tokyo, Japan
“ideal location in the city”
Reviewed 1 February 2011

Get your room in front of the lake even it is higher than the room face to the garden. The window faces to the beauty of Lake Alster is breath-taking you can enjoy the view from morning till after dark. Nice shopping area is just a few minutes walk from the entrance of the hotel, I have not tried but jogging around the area must be really nice.
It seems that the restaurant " doc Cheng's " must be very popular, I could not make get a table at the day I stayed, but enjoyed the nice atmosphere of Bar Indocine also afternoon tea at Cafe Condi.
I stayed here twice and I think whenever I go back to Hamburg I will come back to this place for a nice comfort.
Oh well, the room key is a little too classic, was a little hard to manage though...

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank suiren
HVJ_Hamburg, Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten, responded to this review, 3 February 2011
Dear guest

Thank you very much for your kind comments made at tripadvisor. We always appreciate our guests taking the time to let us know when they are content with our staff as well as the service.

Your compliments are a great motivation for our employees and we are looking forward to welcoming you again at Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Hamburg.

With best regards
Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Hamburg
Exec. Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Fort Hood, Texas
Reviewed 12 January 2011

It has been rather rainy and dreary in Heidelberg, so we decided upon a romantic getaway last night to Hamburg by 1st-class train....and also ordered tickets for a concert by Andrea Boccelli at the Musikhalle.

As I usually do, I tried to schedule too much activity into too little time and space, with too much geography in between. We had dinner reservations at the Vier Jahreszeiten's Michelin 1-star restaurant, Haerlin, but the table was for 1830 and the Boccelli concert began at 2000. We brought this subject to the attention of our waiter at Haerlin.

"You won't be able to make it to the concert if you have dinner here," he said, "but no problem! I understand!" And he personally led us across the entire length of the hotel lobby to their exquisite Grill......where the Grill staff got us seated immediately and where we had an absolutely knock-out dinner of grilled German North Sea turbot. We had an excellent view through the front windows towards the lights of the Inner Alster.

Given the candlelights, the soft pastels of the walls, and the magnificently carved wooden paneling, we almost expected Herr Buddenbrooks or Hans Castorp to pop out of a Thomas Mann novel and come dine with us!

And Mr. Boccelli? Why, he was fabulous, too, of course!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
HVJ_Hamburg, Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten, responded to this review, 20 January 2011
Dear guest

Thank you very much for your kind comment at Tripadvisor about your last stay in our hotel .

We always appreciate our residents taking the time to let us know when they are content with our staff as well as the service.

Your compliments are a great motivation for our employees and we are looking forward to welcoming you again at Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten.

Yours sincerely

Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed 28 November 2010

Honestly, it has EVERYTHING going for it. The location is ideal (shopping, the U-bahn, dining, even the Christmas Markets all right out the front door), the rooms are beautiful and spacious and balance Old World hospitality with modern technology, the service is impeccable, and the dining is mouth-watering. WE WILL BE BACK!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
HVJ_Hamburg, Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten, responded to this review, 15 December 2010
Dear guest

Thank you very much for the kind comments at Tripadvisor about your last stay in our hotel .

Yours sincerely

Indianapolis
Reviewed 5 November 2010

Hamburg’s Fairmount Vier Jahreszeiten Hotel is easily the best hotel I have stayed at in the past 10 years, maybe longer. I regularly stay at places that claim 5-star status but don’t live up to it. This hotel does. I must have caught them during a slow period because my rate was €189 per night and I would expect accommodations of this caliber to be twice that price. It was a phenomenal value.

The room -- and hotel generally -- was immaculately clean; probably the cleanest I have seen, and I have enjoyed some really clean places. The bathroom – which was wonderfully appointed – was mostly white and chrome and without so much as a smudge or fingerprint to be seen.

Amenities and small touches were everywhere. Upon arrival, a complimentary fruit basket and bottled water awaited. These were replenished each day without charge. Some of the amenities included flatscreen TV, DVD player, iPod dock, complimentary espresso machine, minibar, and safe. Free wireless internet worked well; this is real differentiator in a EU hotel market that charges as much as €29 per day for internet access.

Room furnishings – like the common areas – were elegant, classy, high-quality, and in perfect repair. The room had individual climate control that allowed air conditioning even though it was chilly outside. Windows could be opened for fresh air. The ceilings were high, making the room feel larger than it was. The bed was very comfortable.
The hotel is magnificently located on the Inner Alster lake and a short walk to the city center, restaurants, and shopping. Service was superb. The staff was not intrusive but seemed to be everywhere; they were friendly and eager to help. Housekeeping was consistent each day.

A few gripes: There was no ironing board/iron, though they are available upon request. Second, the room key was astonishingly difficult to use. It was some kind of electronic key like a car key but took a very special touch to make it work right. On 4 occasions I had to find a staff person to help me get into my room. They also attach a clunky weight to the room key and expect you to leave the key at front desk when you’re out of your room, in old-school style, which I don’t like to hassle with. There was some upstairs noise from people walking around. The person in the adjoining room was smoking and it was coming into my room under the door.

I give this hotel my highest possible recommendation. If I could get a similar room rate again, I would never consider staying anywhere else in Hamburg.

See the video I posted for more detail. Hope this helps.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank HonkHonk
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 14 October 2010

Best location in Hamburg, right on the Alster (the lake in the middle of town). Beautiful building, amazingly attentive staff, gorgeous rooms. I had many options from which to choose in Hamburg, however I'm so glad I chose the Fairmont. It is a classic, old world hotel with fantastic updates. My bathroom was large with a separate tub and shower, all marble with heated floors. Huge comfy bed, large armoir, big flatscreen and great coffee in the room. Front desk staff were great, always recognizing me upon entry and even making sure we used their large umbrellas instead of my small travel-size. Expensive room service, but that goes without saying. A great tip, go down to the bakery on the corner and get croissants, scrambled eggs and bacon and sneak them back to your room! I loved this hotel and it was such a special vacation, I cannot wait to return.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 4 October 2010

We found the staff to be very friendly and their service, quick and efficient. The rooms were quiet and the location great for shopping and site seeing.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
london
Reviewed 26 September 2010

Despite apparently undergoing several years of refurb this place is dated and shabby. Nothing about it was attractive other than the lounge bar and that was full of mainly 50+ locals. They claim to have a great spa......what they have is a shower room with a sauna (and steam room but that didn't work the weekend we were there)....no pool, no jacuzzi, just a relaxation room with 3 beds in it! They do have several treatment rooms but no where to go and "spa". We had massages - both of us found them poor quality with staff nice but not any good. Reception were useles and gave us the wrong room twice and lost our luggage. would not stay here again

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends