“Quirky, eccentric and convenient hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Village

Hotel Village
Ranked #156 of 318 Hotels in Hamburg
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Quirky, eccentric and convenient hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

Stayed at this quirky and rather old fashioned hotel for a long weekend with my partner. It is very well located, close the the Hauptbahnhof and convenient for the S and U-bahn. The city cenre is only a short walk away, but for a more buzzy and cosmopolitan atmosphere head for Sternschanze where you will find plenty of funky bars, coffee houses and retro shops. The hotel staff were very friendly and knowledgable about the city and gave us some good recommendations including the area above. This is great place if you like something a bit different and 'left-field'.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter and have a balcony, but beware there isn't a lift!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

Less than five minutes from the Central Station and the start of the main shopping street, Village has an excellent location.

It is a funky place which can only be described as a riot of design (but a tasteful riot) which hangs together perfectly. There are so many nice little touches on the stairways and in the rooms (a chaise longue here, wonderful lamps there, art on the walls here and there). We were there three days and every time we walked in or out we noticed something else to comment on. We stayed in the top floor room (with the balcony) which has to be seen to be believed. With a large window and a skylight our room had so much natural light and on a sunny day it is a delightful room to awake.

The service is of the highest quality with a charming and interesting host, whose name we unfortunately did not get.

The breakfast had a small selection of cereals, cheese and cold meats but also smoked salmon and excellent tomatoes with fresh basil which is typical of the little touched which make this such a great stay. As you would expect in Germany the morning rolls were a delight.

Free coffee with cake is available all day and a laptop is available to borrow,

Beware however it has a lot of stairs (very steep stairs) and it is quite a hike to the fifth floor; oh and there is no lift.

The Village is great value for money and really worth a visit to see how good and interesting a budget or near budget hotel can be. This is the very epitome of what a boutique hotel should be.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Swarthmore, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

Hotel Village comes well recommended by Fodor's as good value for the low price and having an interesting ambiance and history - a former high class bordello. In order to get their lowest price available a week in advance online through booking.com for a single room (52 euros per night, including free wifi and free breakfast), I took a chance and ordered a room without a private bathroom, figuring the bathroom would be on the same floor.

Good news. The wifi worked and the buffet breakfast was very nice. When I left at 5:30am on my last day, and the buffet didn't start until 7am, their night service person let me eat the food that was already spread out. (In any event, coffee is available 24/7). My room, though facing out to the front on a fairly busy street, was quiet enough and the bed was decent. The hotel as a whole was quiet. The hotel is also a 1-minute walk from a U-bahn station and 3-minutes from the south arcade of the magnificent Hamburg main train station (magnificent to a rail fan like me).

Other good news. The staff speaks good English, certainly better than my German.

Bad news. The bathroom facilities were actually on the next floor. They consisted of a small room with a toilet and another small room with a shower (and a *very small* drying area in front of the shower - I mean when you closed the door to the hallway, you had 1' between the shower stall and the door. The hotel did provide in the bedroom a white robe to wear to and from the bathroom facilities. Much to my surprise, I never had to wait in line to use these facilities, but maybe that was because I mostly used them early in the morning. There is also a sink in each bedroom. There is also no elevator, but I was traveling light. My room didn't have much ambiance, but I didn't care. There are other rooms with plush bordello colors and even mirrors on the ceiling.

There is no safe in the room and when I asked if I could store my laptop in a hotel safe, I was told no. Just to be safe, I therefore carried my computer in my rucksack during the day. I did this especially since I wasn't always sure I had succeeded in locking my room door, which was a bit hard both to close and to open. We were given keys for the front door of the hotel as well (to use 24 hours), and told to shut the front door firmly each time, but in fact it didn't lock until you played with the latch. The neighborhood isn't the greatest - fast Turkish food, sports bars, and some sex supply shops - but also a decent Penny grocery store.

In an expensive city, I got my money's worth and would probably book at Hotel Village again.

Room Tip: If you choose a room without bathroom, ask if it can be on the 3rd floor, where the bathroom and sho...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

If you are looking for somewhere that has true character and a sense of fun in its designs then you will love this place. Its an ex-brothel and the designs play on that fact hugely. You could have a giggle with a friend here or play along with it all on a naughty weekend - it works for everything

Beyond that the staff/owners were welcoming and lovely and serve a great 'proper german' buffet breakfast at least until 11 and on the weekend until 1pm! - Thoroughly recommend it - the only thing to keep in mind is there is no lift and perhaps its not the first place you would think of bringing kids although not a huge reason not to - it just doesnt have that vibe.

Thanks Hotel Village!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 44 which was just gorgeous and we laughed at the moving mirror above the bed!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2011

Due to a mechanical failure on our flight from the US, we missed our connecting flight from London to Hamburg but were able to be booked on another flight two hours later. Because of this and the way the airline handled the situation, our bags did not end up traveling with us and we had to waste even more time filling out customs forms to have the bags sent from the airport to the hotel.

By the time we made it to Hotel Village around 6pm, we learned that, despite making the reservation 6 months in advance, securing the room with a credit card #, our assurance by email to them that we intended to show up, knowing we were travelling over 4,000 miles by plane which makes it kind of difficult to nail down an exact time we would be showing up, and our attempts to contact them from Heathrow which led to a "your call cannot be completed as dialed" message, they had given our room away just 50 minutes before we arrived. It was "Harley Days" in Hamburg that weekend, and the area was no doubt flooded with people wanting rooms. We arrived by 6pm. What hotel gives your room away by 6pm??? They had our credit card #- if we didn't show up they could have still charged us- they wouldn't have lost any money, so that excuse is total bs. This was completely unethical and inappropriate.

What made things even worse was that, when I confronted the guy at the desk about what he had done, there was absolutely no apology from him, he only justified his behavior. His insistence that this was somehow our fault actually caused my girlfriend to start apologizing. That's when the gloves came off and I really gave him a piece of my mind. He actually responded with "What am I supposed to do? You Americans never pay when you don't show up!" I replied "Sir, we never would have done that to you". We left, and had to spend over twice as much money than we had budgeted to stay at one of the few available rooms at the Park Hyatt.

It was bad enough that all these circumstances led to us losing the room, but to have someone actually throw the ignorant stereotype about "Americans" at me the minute I arrive in their country, was totally rude and unprofessional. I urge readers to consider other accommodations when staying in beautiful Hamburg. If the gentleman we spoke to is reading this, we looked forward to staying at your establishment for 6 months, but I have to warn as many people as I can not to stay there solely because of your rude behavior. Don't lump all Americans into one group; I have nothing to do with what others might have done to you before.

Guests beware.

Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank 76Malibu

Travellers are raving about these Hamburg hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2010

Very nice hotel only few minutes walk from main railway station, perfect breakfasts! Very quiet and cosy.

Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank natam78
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2010

This hotel is situated in St. Georg which is home to the smaller of Hamburg's two red light districts. It is just a few steps away from Central Station in a seedy, but safe area. I dig this hotel, however I would only recommend it for solo travelers and couples - families should find somewhere else. Also, the best nightlife area in Hamburg is in the Schanze which is clear across town, not a long trip by train, but if you plan on spending your nights out in that area and along the Reeperbahn, then this might not be the best choice.

I booked through booking.com and was surprised to learn that my room did not have an ensuite bathroom, however as a traveler who has dealt with some of the worst hotels on the planet, it was a small issue for me. I don't think it was stated very clearly on booking.com. There is no elevator in this hotel so if you are on the top floor, be prepared to hall your bag up many steps. Also there was no safe in my room which would have provided an extra level of comfort.

The staff here is really friendly and helpful. The breakfast was surprisingly good with artisan cheeses and hearty breads. The rooms are definitely brothel chic, a little shabby but with tons of character. As a side note, every pillow in every hotel I stayed at in Germany was about the size of a notecard and just about as comfortable. Bringing your own, though cumbersome, would be well worth it.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo