“Screwed up reservation, but happy to take my money”

Novum Hotel Konigshof Hamburg
Ranked #277 of 321 Hotels in Hamburg
Reviewed 7 August 2009

Perhaps this hotel is as pleasant as other reviews on this site indicate. I wouldn't know. I never ended up even seeing my room.

When I booked a double room for my mother and myself, I confirmed with the hotel desk by telephone that rooms with two beds were available. No problem, they said; just indicate in your reservation that you want one.

On the day of arrival, however, I learned that the hotel had given out all double rooms with twin beds that morning. I had a bad cold, and didn't fancy giving it to my mother. What were my options, I asked. They indicated that they had an arrangement with another hotel nearby and could transfer my reservation there at what would actually be a slightly lower rate.

Not having seen the other hotel or knowing anything about it, I was reluctant to make the switch until I'd seen what it was like. I asked Hotel Königshof to hold my reservation till I'd picked up my mother at the airport and we'd had a chance to take a look at a room on the way back. We did so. The other hotel turned out to be fine.

At this point, I made a mistake. Assuming that Hotel Königshof would simply cancel my original reservation, I checked us into the new hotel. I then went to Hotel Königshof to pick up my bags. Sorry, they told me. Since the time you were last here (three hours ago), 'our' rooms in the other hotel have all been booked. You should not have checked in without confirming it with us. We can no longer transfer your reservation. I was stuck paying for two hotel rooms, only one of which I needed.

Now despite my annoyance, I recognised that to some extent Hotel Königshof had a point. They had not actually told me I could check into the other hotel on my own. However, the whole imbroglio was the result of their original error. Moreover, at the time I discovered the problem it was only six-thirty in the evening, a mere *half hour* after I could have cancelled the reservation for a full refund.

I asked the receptionist if they could at least give me a partial refund. She contacted the owner (or manager?) and asked. Nothing doing. I ended up having to pay the entire sum for a room I never used.

In short, perhaps this is a great hotel if you actually end up staying there. But don't rely on them to get your reservation right. And don't expect them to show the slightest willingness to meet you half way if anything goes wrong.

Stayed: July 2009
2  Thank IjonTichy

Reviewed 8 March 2009

For the price paid, this was a good place to stay. It was not a fancy hotel by any means. The rooms were small and not thoroughly clean. The neighborhood is sketchy at night, breakfast was decent. The gentlemen at the service desk were terrific, friendly and helpful. I would probably not return here though.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank ttt85008
Reviewed 16 December 2008

Arrived at the hotel at 9.30am hoping to be able to drop off our bags, and were told that if we can wait 5 minutes (and have some free breakfast), we can check into our room then! So we had some breakfast and checked into the hotel at 9.45am. Not sure if this is normal but it was just great service.

The staff were brilliant, very friendly, cheerful and helpful. Breakfast was great, room was large and tidy. We were on the ground floor which was perfect.

Would definitely recommend this hotel at the price. Think we paid just under 100 Euro per night in mid-December for Christmas markets time, which is pretty good.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2008

This little hotel was a fabulous find. It is very well located near the central Hamburg train station. Return trip back and forth from the Hamburg airport to Hamburg Hauptbahnhof (central train station) is only 8 Euro roundtrip (5 Euro one-way).

I paid 51 Euro per night for a room without a bathroom. The shared bathroom was mine alone for the entirety of my stay. So I appreciated saving the 20-30 Euro per night by not having an en suite bathroom. There is a small vanity and sink in the 2 rooms that do not have en suite bathroom.

The hotel is extremely gay friendly and extremely welcoming to gay and lesbian travelers. In fact, there were several staying there during my stay. Front desk staff are very friendly and welcoming. Everyone I interacted with was very helpful and welcoming.

The breakfast buffet was perfect with a selection of breads, cheeses, meats, muesli, other cereals, yogurt, and fruit. There is an amazing backyard patio that is cozy and private that is ideal to sit outside in while having your breakfast. Or sit inside if the weather is a bit nippy.

The room was very clean. Linen and duvet were clean and ideal.

There is free Wi-Fi internet service, which was very fast.

I can't rave enough about this hotel. It's not a Ritz Carlton but for 51 Euro a night, I can't imagine a better value for the money anywhere.

This is my accommodation of choice for future stays to Hamburg. Two thumbs up!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank Cabbagetown
Reviewed 17 August 2008

Pros: Central location, exceptionally friendly and helpful staff, nice breakfast buffet, very nice and clean shared toilets/showers

Cons: Rooms could use a fresh paint job; I switched rooms because the first one they gave me reeked of smoke and the bed was terribly soft. Some of the rooms face the street which can be quite noisy at night. Also, while convenient, the neighborhood is a bit seedy, including the walk to the Hauptbahnhof.

• Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed 30 May 2007

I stayed at the Hotel Konigshof the night of May 24, 2007. The hotel is located a five minute walk from the main train station. The neighborhood is the red light district and although it didn't seem dangerous it was annoying to be harrassed by prostitutes as I came and went from the hotel. The hotel itself is clean and well taken care from the lobby to the breakfast room to the guest rooms. The staff at the front desk is very friendly and helpful. I had a room with a private bath but were I to return I would not hesitate to stay in one of the rooms that are slightly cheaper and have shared baths. The italian restaurant downstairs from the hotel has good food and the woman who runs it was very nice and helpful when I ordered as I do not speak German.
The breakfast buffet is included in the hotel room price and it was very good. Overall I would recommend this hotel and would stay there again if I were to return to Hamburg.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled solo
6  Thank martinnyc1
Reviewed 12 December 2006

Hotel Konigshof was a great find. The rooms are nicely decorated, quiet and are very comfortable. The staff is quite friendly and helpful. Breakfast is served most of the morning and is very good. There is a small cafe onsite that is ok. It has pleasant outdoor seating in the back. I wish all hotels I encounter while traveling were this nice! If I make it to Hamburg again, I would book there without considering other options.

Stayed: September 2006