“Good hotel let down by Lastminute.com”

Renaissance Hamburg Hotel
Ranked #34 of 321 Hotels in Hamburg
Reviewed 24 February 2010

The hotel is lovelly. I booked a Queen Room with breakfast for 2 at a good rate through lastminute.com. However the Hotel had no record of breakfast and Lastminute.com would only handle the issue if I called their premium rate number in the UK. They would not handle it via their customer support site. The support site stated that there was a high volume of calls to the premium line! So I didn't try to call it.
Also, the Invoice from the hotel was substantially lower in Euros then I paid in pounds!
I will never use LastMinute again. But I would definately stay at the Renaissance again.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 30 January 2010

Very nice accomidations tailored for the western traveler with large queen size beds and near shopping and the lake.

Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 November 2009

Just returned from Hamburg, still impressed by this nice city. We met friends from England there and had an nice long weekend chating, eating and shopping. Hotel in very close to the main Railway and bus station (you get there with S1 train from airport), so taxi costs only few EUR.
Check-in was fast, personel fine. There is very very nice hotel lobby with nice bar. Service was maybe a little slow, but doesn´t matter.
As Hamburg is not very large city, you can actually walk around with no problems. And from that point is hotel perfectly situated. Many shops around, than restaurants and little further bars.
Hotel is clean, can´t tell about breakfast, as we didn´t have it
Would recommend it to anyone, no doubt.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank enjoyer80
Reviewed 16 August 2009

I am a Platinum member with Marriott and did spend a long weekend in Hamburg beginning of this month. I booked a room with points at the Renaissance Hotel, as the Marriott was not available any more. I stayed there a few times before and usually did not had any problems with this hotel.

However this time everything was a little bit different. On my arrival I just received a standard room (no upgrade this time) on the second floor, facing the atrium of the hotel (this is the parking aera) and next to the delivery entrance. This is different to my settings in my Marriott profile. The room itself did had a good size (I have seen much smaller rooms at other hotels).

As the outside temperature was above 25 °C on this weekend, I was happy to have AC in my room. The AC was set to maximum, but did not realy brought the inside temperature down. I complained, but was just told, that because of the "high" outside temp there is nothing they can do. I should leave the windows open...!...good idea if the delivery entrance and the parking lot are just in front of your windows!

As we were to late on saturday by a few minutes, we missed our breakfast. On the second night there we had a friend visitung us and I asked for a rollaway bed (already at check in). When we got back to our room on saturday afternoon, we had to ask again and were told that they will check if they can provide us one. On my way out I asked again and I had the feeling that my request was totally new for the front desk.

Anyway...when we got back, the extra bed was in the room and was provided for free.

On sunday morning we had breakfast at around 12.30 PM (they do offer it till 2PM). Just after a few moments the lady that asked us for the room number came back to me and said in a very rude way that we only have breakfast for two people included and that I have to pay EUR 24 for the third person. I agreed, even we did not had breakfast the day before and usually at many other places I get breakfast free for the room and not just for me as a Platinum member. Right after getting our coffee, the lady came back to me with a charge slip and insisted to get my signature for the third breakfast. I would not have said anything, if they would have offered a service that is worth the money. However on that morning, it was about 28°C in the restaurant and the cheese and the cold cut did not looked fresh any more....more the way it looks at night at a petrol station! They were also running out of bread rolls (which is a must for a German breakfast) and the fresh orange juice was just pulp, but no juice any more (as a replacement they brought me a small bottle of orange juice, like you find it in the minibar - but not fresh). And everything was at about room temperature. We just had a few bites and left the "sauna" to have a coffee at another place.

The next think that I did not liked this time was the - so called - turn down service. When we got back that evening...the curtains were closed....but nothing else was done...the bathroom and the bed looked the same way we left it....no fresh towels, no chocolate, pillows out of the bed....etc.. Maybe I do have a different understanding of "turn down".

Last but not least I want to mention the so called "Fitness Center". The best was the rowing machine....the bicycle maybe from the 80es or 90es....the treadmill is dangerous to use, as the belt is defect and the other two old machines are not worth to go up there. The outview from the top floor however is nice...but thats all. I dit not used the sauna.

On checkout I approached the manager on duty with these details, but did just got a "sorry for the inconveniance" back. I paid for my third breakfast and left.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Joerg04
Reviewed 16 July 2009

We stayed at the Renaissance for two nights, mainly because we got a great deal for a five-star. My wife is from Hamburg, and we actually met other natives who have chosen the Renaissance as their port of call whenever they visit their home city. The hotel is very centrally located, and the rooms and facilities are modern and sleek. Our room was smallish, but quiet and pleasant. The service was outstandingly friendly and efficient and had the feel of a much smaller hotel.
One of the highlights for us was the beautifully designed "Bricks" bar. On the downside, the breakfast buffet is horribly overpriced at 24€.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2009

This historic-building hotel is just in the middle of downtown Hamburg (in a quiet area) which enables you to reach most attractions by foot. We parked our car at Messehallen free of charge and explored the city and surroundings riding our bicycles (you can rent bike for 7,5 a day at local dealers e.g. in Altona).

The rooms are equipped in Marriott/Renaissance quality standard (excellent beds, TV, bathtub, minibar). Expect to request for the coffeemaker every day again and don't forget to ask also for the coffee/tea.... Even the reception chief explained his applogies I can't help that they try to urge their guest to use bar downstairs instead of offering coffee free of charge in good old american style (BTW: I'm German). Breakfast rates are quite high if you are used to take just a coffee and cake. Bakeries (open in Sunday!) and cafes around with better options.

Guest can use the Gym on rooftop (very nice nordic style!!) incl. a Sauna or enjoy the "wellness area" in the closeby Marriott Hotel (we didn't check).

Expensive Wifi in room as usual but you can read your emails in free terminal downstairs in the lobby. Parking possible on the back for surcharge....

However this was the only complaint we had in this nice historic hotel. We can recommend this hotel to everybody. With the priceline NYOP rate of 64 EUR/night this hotel was a real bargain :-)

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank joe1968
Reviewed 19 May 2009

I enjoyed a pleasant 2 night stay at the renaissance which is located on a small square (chich can be noisy at night) close to most parts of the city that a visitor will need to visit.

There are a variety of room size for varying prices - I was booked into a small room but upgraded to a larger room wih breakfast for just 40 Euros which was great value when you find that breakfast is over half that amount in itself. My upgraded room was a very good size with large clean and functional bathroom. Breakfast was top notch with a huge variety of hot and cold choices and good service.

Reception where extremely helpful and went the extra mile to provide all the detail I needed about Hamburg city. Theres an S-line train station nearby that gets you to and from the airport.

No hesitation about staying here again.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business